pressure cooker

cscherler

I had a cuisinart long ago. It's awesome for cooking broth and stews and all sorts of things. I always am a bit nervous with anything under pressure (I remember as a kid, my mom's blew and we had spaghetti sauce all over the ceiling) but the new ones take care of that problem with a valve. I think it's Tom Denham who has one he highly recommends. If you click on the link in his siggy, you will go to his site which has his favorite kitchen appliances. :)

I have one, but have only used it once (I'm also scared of it).

It's a Kuhn Rikon...I LOVE every product I've ever had by them

Yes! That is the one Tom uses. I think he's brave about his, so maybe he'll chime in here with some ideas of what to make. :)

• Moderators

I love my Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top Pressure Cooker 7.4-Quart. There have been weeks when I use the pressure cooker every day and then other times I use it less than once per week.

I make bone broth in the pressure cooker all the time. I cook whole chickens in the pressure cooker to give myself a big bunch of pulled chicken and lots of chicken broth. I usually make chili in the pressure cooker. I adapted Melissa Joulwan's chocolate chili recipe and then some others for the pressure cooker. I also adapted Melissa's carne asada recipe for the pressure cooker. We talked about collaborating a long time ago... me developing the pressure cooker versions of her work, but neither one of us ever followed up on it.

Oooh, Tom... I'd love adaptations of Mel's recipes for the pressure cooker! Don't suppose you were able to adapt the Carnitas recipe? Or maybe that wouldn't work well because you need to reduce the citrus sauce. Hmm.

I have the stand-alone Cusinart CPC-600 and love it, but don't use it as much as I could. I steam 3 artichokes at a time when I can get them, and I've attempted a roast or some meat here or there with mixed success. Most of the recipes are really non-compliant, so I find I'm trying to adapt and just not that good at it.

I'd love instructions on how to cook with it, period. The whole chicken idea sounds wonderful! I've read you can cook meats from frozen as well, is that true? That would be heavenly on the days I forget to pull something out ahead of time!

A couple weeks ago I purchased one that was offered on woot.com. It was a Fissler Blue Poit 6.4qt pressure cooker.

I used it for the first time last night to make beef stew. I've got to say that was quite impressed with it. It only took an hour to prep the meat and veggies, brown the meat and cook the stew and get it on the table. This is dish that I would normally reserve the weekend and spend about four hours making.

I think I will experiment with some beef or chicken stock next.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a lagostina and it was around $70, so one of the cheaper ones out there. i was scared of it at first, but they have 2 release valves on them and are nothing like the ones our grandmas used! made short ribs in it and OMG. crazy good. also great for doing beets in about 20 mins. super handy once you get over your fear!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought the 5 quart InstantPot because of the multifunctions - and I've been using it 3-4 times a week since I bought it. It is perfect for steaming hard boiled eggs and vegies. I do a work week's supply of both all at once, the eggs for portable breakfasts (3, along with a serving of fruit), and the vegies to reheat or use in a recipe for dinner. Broth is a snap. I really appreciate the time it saves.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Chef's Design pressure cooker made by All American pressure canner (I have one of those also) and love both of them. If I didn't already have it, I would probably go for the InstaPot because it is multifunctional but I'm still really happy with it. I didn't grow up w pressure cookers so it's a learning experience every time but I've been pretty successful making beef stew (Serious Eats recipe w/o the flour and no wine if W30-ing). It makes bone broth a snap but I do have to say it was the ugliest beef bone broth I've ever made- makes it very cloudy. Tasted good, though. I usually use the canner to make my bone broth because it's bigger but I've used the smaller pressure cooker as well- THEN I use the pressure canner to can my broth so I don't use up all of my freezer space.

Archived