What Counts as a Protein?

WholeInOne

Nuts are fats. What kinds of proteins do you normally like to eat.  Are you eating all eggs for a special reason.  There are so many proteins. Fish, beef, poultry, bison and others. You don't ever have to eat eggs if you don't want to.

The Whole30 isn't necessarily  designed for vegetarians/vegans, but there are certain resources out there.

https://whole30.com/2015/06/veg-whole30/  (but note that including some of the other sources of protein aren't technically Whole30)

"While we provide resources on our website and in It Starts With Food for vegans and vegetarians doing our Whole30 program, the program wasn’t designed to exclude animal products and rely on plant-based protein sources. For many who want to implement our framework within their own self-imposed dietary restrictions, the idea of tailoring our program for a vegetarian or vegan diet can be daunting. "

I feel like the nut companies marketing that nuts are "high" in protein is one of those marketing coups of the last few years.  High compared to a carrot, sure, but......

Just so you're clear that it's not a whole 30 anymore and you can't expect the same benefits. (Which is not to say that it wouldn't have its own potential benefits.) What don't you like about cooking meat? There are canned meats (like salmon) that are compliant, but just read labels.

16 hours ago, WholeInOne said:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding complianthe meat, and I'm not a huge fan of my own cooking, so I will definitely look into the vegetarian options.

Where are you looking? Any meat bought plain (ground beef, chicken breasts, pork chops, pork butt, steak, etc) is compliant. It's all in the way you prepare it, just make sure you're using compliant oils/cooking fat and your spice blends don't have sugar - better yet, make your own!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, racheleats said:

Where are you looking? Any meat bought plain (ground beef, chicken breasts, pork chops, pork butt, steak, etc) is compliant. It's all in the way you prepare it, just make sure you're using compliant oils/cooking fat and your spice blends don't have sugar - better yet, make your own!

I think they want deli meat.. 

32 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I think they want deli meat.. 

Ah gotcha! The ever elusive whole30 compliant deli meat...that can be hard to find AND expensive so I usually just get one package of Plainville Farms from Costco and when it's gone it's gone!

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Ah gotcha! The ever elusive whole30 compliant deli meat...that can be hard to find AND expensive so I usually just get one package of Plainville Farms from Costco and when it's gone it's gone!

There's a small independent grocery store I go to and they roast their own roast beef that is compliant but that's all I've ever found... I don't really have a longing for deli meat anyway - I refuse to eat roast beef unless it's deli meat thin tho so that's the only reason I ever buy it... I love roast beef but have never been able to suitably make it myself.

16 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

There's a small independent grocery store I go to and they roast their own roast beef that is compliant but that's all I've ever found... I don't really have a longing for deli meat anyway - I refuse to eat roast beef unless it's deli meat thin tho so that's the only reason I ever buy it... I love roast beef but have never been able to suitably make it myself.

I like to have it in the fridge for straight up convenience or when I have an extra $15 burning a hole in my pocket ;) it's a nice treat now and then. Your comment about the RB makes me want to look into an industrial slicer for my kitchen though...

I've found compliant deli meat at Trader Joes and the regular Acme/Shaws. Maybe I'll try some frozen fish! I forgot about that.

Cooking in general takes a long time, and although I like it once in awhile, I prefer to make easy things like frozen vegetable stir fries, salads, etc. I just really am not a fan of cooking. 

There's nothing to say that you can't continue making frozen vegetable stir fries and salads. Just check and make sure the veg doesn't have non-compliant ingredients. 

You can also throw a whole bunch of chicken pieces (or boneless chicken thighs/breasts if you don't want to deal with bones) into the oven to roast while you do other things. Roasting meats has a very small active working time and can be used to get a whole lot of protein done at once. So, while you're watching TV or taking a shower or putting away laundry, your meats are roasting away and all you had to do was put it on a pan with some salt/pepper/spices (if you feel like it) and a little oil. 

Roasting meat requires less active participation in the cooking process than cooking eggs. If you haven't tried it, go for it. 

Archived