accio_jencat

Why does my mayo taste like metal/meat?

Recommended Posts

We are not currently on a round, but we still try to eat Paleo/W30 compliant much of the time. When we started our first round, I was OBSESSED with the homemade mayo. I seriously put it on EVERYTHING. However, towards the end and even now, two months later, I can't make any sort of mayo or dressing with egg in it without it tasting DISGUSTING. It takes like... metallic or raw/decaying meat. What's interesting is that we didn't use fancy eggs at the beginning of our round, but now the only eggs I buy are grass fed and pasture raised... could that be the difference? HELP! I want to be able to make delicious mayo and dressings again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, accio_jencat said:

We are not currently on a round, but we still try to eat Paleo/W30 compliant much of the time. When we started our first round, I was OBSESSED with the homemade mayo. I seriously put it on EVERYTHING. However, towards the end and even now, two months later, I can't make any sort of mayo or dressing with egg in it without it tasting DISGUSTING. It takes like... metallic or raw/decaying meat. What's interesting is that we didn't use fancy eggs at the beginning of our round, but now the only eggs I buy are grass fed and pasture raised... could that be the difference? HELP! I want to be able to make delicious mayo and dressings again!

Did you change the kind of oil you are using? That is so strange (and really sad - homemade mayo is life!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having the metallic taste problem too. :-(

Just like you, when I first started, it was delicious but now it's all weird and metallic.  I've always used the fancy eggs, so I don't think that's it. I was wondering if maybe I've added too much lemon?  The recipe probably doesn't account for the huge Texas sized lemons...

Hopefully someone can solve this because I miss my yummy mayo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Is it possible the oil's gone off? 

I have tried 3 different brands so no - I bought each bottle new. Also tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 9:55 AM, racheleats said:

Did you change the kind of oil you are using? That is so strange (and really sad - homemade mayo is life!).

Yes! I tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify - just stayed liquidy and gross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, accio_jencat said:

Yes! I tried to make it entirely out of avocado oil and it wouldn't emulsify - just stayed liquidy and gross

Try adding another egg yolk to the liquidy mixture and blend again with the immersion blender. That fixes it for me every time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the recipe I use. Hope it helps.

Homemade Mayonaise
Yield: 1 cup

1 egg
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
1 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)

In a blender, mix the egg, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and water until frothy. Add oil in a slow stream until mayonnaise thickens and the blender blades spin without mixing. Ready!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2plus2 said:

This is the recipe I use. Hope it helps.

Homemade Mayonaise
Yield: 1 cup

1 egg
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 cloves garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water
1 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)

In a blender, mix the egg, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and water until frothy. Add oil in a slow stream until mayonnaise thickens and the blender blades spin without mixing. Ready!

 

Try taking out the water?  Never seen water in a mayo recipe... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay away from copper or aluminum bowls —the lemon juice can react with the metal and impart a metallic taste into your mayo. Use glass for best results. I use a mason jar. You might also try apple cider vinegar instead of lemon.

More tips for failed mayo:

I've had good luck fixing failed mayo by refrigerating it until cold,  then blending in another egg.

Best practice: Use a stick blender. I have never had a failed batch when putting everything in a mason jar, then sink the hand blender to the bottom, blend, veeerrrrryyy slowly pulling the blender up a millimeter at a time.

Other things to tweak next time: make sure your egg is room temp, not cold. You can speed it up by putting the whole egg (not yet cracked) in hot water for a few minutes.

Add the chopped garlic afterwards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now