Hello fellow Whole-30-ers! (Do we have a catchier title?)

Kristin.B

Greetings! I started my Whole-30 program on Monday and I am definitely feeling differently already. I started out feeling super and energized. Now I'm a bit lethargic. I'm not sure if it's this rainy Florida weather or what, but I've taken two naps in the last two days! Unheard of for me! I resent, most vehemently, the fact that I cannot find bacon without sugar in it. I've noticed that I am a real sucker for convenient foods. It's a challenge not being able to rely on them for snacks. I wasn't eating a bunch of trash before going Whole-30 and died a mostly paleo diet for about a week before hand - to "ease" myself in ;). I feel better in my body already and my allergies have cleared up a lot. I am experiencing cravings now, though, that I haven't had in forever! Donuts! I eat donuts maybe twice a year and I rarely crave them. This morning I had breakfast with my husband and his family and they all had pancakes and bacon and grits and biscuits and normally I am content with my meat-n-cheese omelette - but not today. I had two scrambled eggs today to avoid dairy and just the smell of their plates of sugary goodness was almost overwhelming. I kinda wanted to lick my husband's plate. Is that weird? I didn't even experience strong cravings for food when I was pregnant with my daughter. Stupid addictive carbs! I'm kind of worried about ever eating them again once I break their vice-like grip on my appetite.

I went to my local butcher for bacon last night. (Some nice tenderloin steak too). I can guarrantee there's no sugar in this bacon. It was walking around with a smile on it's face earlier in the week.

That sounds awesome, Farback! I need to locate a butcher in my area. I thought for sure the local health food market would have some but I was so wrong. The fact that they sneak sugar into so many products that I would never expect has been a real eye-opener to me. Tomato sauce, chicken broth, salt blends. It's ridiculous! :)

Welcome K! I can empathize with how you're feeling, I definitely went through that my first few days but believe in what you're eating and know that it gets better. I am closing in on Day 20 and feel great. I can also completely empathize with your bacon frustration!! I could not find any that was sugar and nitrate free here, so I actually ended up making my own from a Paleo (and Whole30) friendly recipe using pork belly, some sea salt and spices. It takes a week but it is soooooo good. I definitely recommend trying it!

Good luck on the rest of your first week!!

Thanks, Myke :) I'm not as dreadfully tired this morning. I will perhaps escape taking a nap today. I do miss coffee, but I feel a pretty swell sense of mental clarity without it. It's difficult to cook carby food for the family. I'm tempted more than I thought I would be. The smell of bread or pasta seems intensified, but I'm sticking to my guns! :)

-Kristin

Hey Kristin, sometimes I think the fatigue is just part of the process. I had it around the second week of my first Whole30 but it got better and I had none on the Whole30 I just completed. I'm proud of you for sticking it out through the challenges. You can do it!

Doug, I will definitely be shopping around for some, I have missed bacon these last few days.

Treva, thank you! I was accustomed to drinking coffee every day and I think suddenly stopping had something to do with my fatigue (among other factors). Fortunately I am off from school for the summer and love taking naps! Bring it on, Whole 30! hehe

Today I went shopping with my daughter, my friend, and her son. We ate out twice and it was pretty tough finding something I could eat. I ended up settling for a garden salad for lunch. Fortunately I had some homemade Lara "balls" with me and that really did the trick. I had to just go without at the frozen yogurt place, which was full of yummy temptation, but it wasn't so bad. I feel pretty great today! Not tired at all, either. We walked around all day and I still have energy to spare. Yay!

Archived