First time Crossfit

Ra_k_

So i'm biting the bullet and trying out crossfit for the first time tonight. I'm scared, excited, nervous and very unsure what to expect.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get through the first session nerves?

Go to the bathroom before you work out. Seriously, I know it sounds like TMI but nothing gets things moving like pre-wod jitters.

Secondly, don't even think about what anyone else is doing. I don't know what the set up at your box is like, but ours has a separate learn to CrossFit class for newcomers. There is no such thing as competition in that class. If your box doesn't have something like that, or a starter workout, then don't feel pressured to perform at the same level as those who have been CrossFitting for years. Just do your thing until you're done, no thoughts about how you compare.

Those are my thoughts for a new comer :0) Welcome to the jungle.

Great advice thanks Robin :)

Its a newbie class i'm going to. And as far as i know from their website, before you can go to "normal" classes you have to do 4 newbie classes first. So i guess i'll build some confidence in those classes.

I lift weights at the gym no problems, but this fully scares me in an excited way.

I am about two months in and by far still a beginner, even though I am seeing amazing gains nearly every day.

Best advice that I got before starting (from my sister, who is a top CrossFitter)? Ignore everything on the whiteboard except for that little space where you write your own score. You're competing with yourself and everyone else is there to support you in becoming a better athlete. If people are anything but friendly and encouraging, you're at the wrong box.

I'm really excited to hear how it went! I hope you find it as positive of an experience as I do. :)

PS. I also agree with Robin that a good poop before class is essential...nothing is worse than getting into a set of wall balls and having that, um, sensation.

My box only has one instructor, and he tries to divide people up by skills, but some classes are multi-level and he usually integrates new people into the beginner or multi-level classes. He will pull new people to the front and keep a closer eye on them and he stresses beginner mechanics and works with scalable exercises for them. He also points out that they should not focus on what the others are doing but what they are doing themselves.

With that said, enjoy it. It is quite an experience and once you get going with it, it becomes addictive. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Make sure you have extra in case you need it afterwards. Have a snack such as some chicken cubes, and either sweet potato chunks or maybe some black berries for afterwards. You will need to get some energy in shortly after the work out.

Most of all have fun,

Best advice that I got before starting (from my sister, who is a top CrossFitter)? Ignore everything on the whiteboard except for that little space where you write your own score. You're competing with yourself and everyone else is there to support you in becoming a better athlete. If people are anything but friendly and encouraging, you're at the wrong box.

I adore this. Simply adore it.

Thank you everyone.....

I had a great time. I was in a "normal" class and they split the newbies up. Two really friendly girls took me under their wing and helped me out. And were super supportive. The three instructors were super nice. And i can't believe how quickly they remember everyones names, including the newbies. i was impressed.

To fast track my fundamental classes, (they only run these weekly on saturdays and i'm away the next 3) i have booked in with a female coach to complete the beginners stuff within the next week. So come 26th November i can start participating in 'normal' classes. I'm very excited, and i felt soo welcome, considering i was super dooper nervous.

I think i may have found a new addiction, and i think it will be great to meet new people this way, and when i move to london early next year, i'll have a way to make new friends. I'm very very excited for the next few months. :D

That is awesome! Glad to hear a new member added to the CrossFit world! I can say 100%....you have found a new addiction for sure! It is so hard to break away from it sometimes and allow your body to rest but I can tell you from experience, give your body that rest! Your body will talk to you and you will know! I did not listen to my body when I started and missed 2 weeks due to an injury that could have been avoided had I listened to my body and not my mind!

Good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks heaps Kat :)

I have my first fundamentals lesson tomorrow, and then two more next week. and then i can finally get into the swing of crossfit. I'm sooo very excited. I fell like this ithe shake up in my exercise life i needed. I'm soo happy i finally found the courage to try it.

Oh believe me i will listen when my body wants a break. I don't want to be injured and have to sit out longer than i have to

• 3 weeks later...

It's great to see everyone so enthusiastic about CrossFit. I've been hesitant to try it out for several reasons - first, while I'm incredibly fit for endurance training (we know that may not be the healthiest route) due to a history of distance racing, I'm so weak in the strength area and feel like a complete failure when trying to "lift heavy things." Secondly, xfit gyms are SO expensive where I live! Are there success stories of changing exercise routines without xfit or "soft" introductions?

It's great to see everyone so enthusiastic about CrossFit. I've been hesitant to try it out for several reasons - first, while I'm incredibly fit for endurance training (we know that may not be the healthiest route) due to a history of distance racing, I'm so weak in the strength area and feel like a complete failure when trying to "lift heavy things." Secondly, xfit gyms are SO expensive where I live! Are there success stories of changing exercise routines without xfit or "soft" introductions?

I just started at my local CrossFit box 2 weeks ago. Prior to that I did a lot of the bodyweight only crossfit stuff that I found on the web. I don't think anything can really "prepare" you for CrossFit, but it probably helped a little in that I wasn't totally unable to move my own bodyweight around comfortably (think burpees!).

As a beginner, I am concentrating a LOT on getting the proper form and full range of motion. This means that so far, I am often just using a light bar (15, 22 or 33lbs) and occasionally a 45lb bar with NO WEIGHTS added. I want to be sure that when I do start throwing heavy weights around, I don't hurt myself.

So i'm 2 weeks into crossfit now. i've done 3 fundamental lessons, and 4 actual sessions..... And i'm hooked.

Though some things scare me, and i'm not able to complete some things, but i've given everything a go. Today we did wall walks and toes to bar, and OMG i cannot do either of those, haha they almost killed me, I 'll have to practice them a bit more i think.

But my box is really into strenght and form training which is fine by me, cos i know i won't hurt myself from poor technique. Today i front squatted 55kg, which is just under 10kg of body weight, so thats a good goal to work towards..

That's a great front squat!

craving4more - CrossFit IS expensive, that's very true. I think the success stories come, not because of CF, but because people go from a sedentary or chronic cardio lifestyle to one of muscle building and strength training. Any activities that will allow you to build muscle will likely give you awesome results when combined with W30.

Agreed with Robin.

The only way to really "prepare" for Crossfit is to do it. You can scale all the workouts to fit your needs. We have a lady at out gym who is 65+ with arthritis, and she does all the WODS, just scaled to meet her needs. She is super awesome.

I was one of those women who didn't want to lift weights because I didn't want to get "manly"...so I did cardio constantly, which didn't really do much of anything. Then I started Crossfit and my whole perspective has changed. "Skinny" is no longer what I strive for... strength is sexy! It happens to everyone, I think. Thoughts?

Also, seriously heed the advice about trying not to compete with experienced people. I injured myself trying to RX when I couldn't do it... just because some of the other girls were (they have been crossfitting significantly longer than me). BE HAPPY WITH YOUR GAINS. I had ZERO strength when I first started... could hardly clean the women's bar (35#)... it took me about a year, but now my 1RM is 100#! You will make progress, sometimes it is just slow. I really had to teach myself not to worry about what others are doing, and compete with myself. My gym tends to do things way heavier than other gyms, so I tend to not RX things just because I don't want to lose intensity. Find what works for you, and run with it. AND don't be afraid to take some time off from it if you start to feel overtrained. REST WORKS WONDERS :ph34r:

Welcome to the crossfit world, you will love it :lol::wub:

I would love to try CrossFit as one my good friend's (in a different city) is big on CF. I am just super intimidated by it especially coming from a strong yoga background. Yoga is so intensely personal and I really love that about yoga and it's all so hippie and flower-y which I also love then CF is just this concrete room. I am also intimidated by the other people that go there, I am not overweight by any means but the girls that go there are ridiculously buff and ripped...that is not me at all. I don't get a "happy" vibe from any of the boxes I have looked at (4 different places). It also bothers me to work out in front of other people. I have never played team sports because I am all about me, I work out insanely early in the morning to avoid other people, I adore swimming laps.

Hmmm after typing all that I am wondering if CF is right for me. I love lifting and I love lifting heavy but the whole "group" aspect of it I think is what is tripping me up.

MJam,

As much of a CF evangelist as I am, I truly believe you have to find the right gym for you. Some CF boxes are very competitive in nature, both with other gyms and between the members. Others are more health focused and you'll find a huge mix of people - mine is this way. At my box, there's never the feeling of working out in front of anyone else - it feels like me and my coach working through the movements. And we have everything from super buff folks to people who are more than 100 lbs overweight, usually in the same class. I love my box, it's like a family, but not every box is that way (it makes me sad). If you're going to CF, you have to find your home.

Thanks Robin...I don't want to weenie out if the first one isn't a good fit because I see the mad love that people have for it. The husband and I are actually going tomorrow to test one out. I am scuuuuured but less so because the husbie will be with me.

Thanks Robin...I don't want to weenie out if the first one isn't a good fit because I see the mad love that people have for it. The husband and I are actually going tomorrow to test one out. I am scuuuuured but less so because the husbie will be with me.

I still get nervous every class i go to. Hahah and i've now offically been to 5 classes :D And i am loving it. The coaches are super helpful, and soo nice, and even when the classes are bigger, you still feel its tailored to you.

There are people from all fitness levels. And some are super competitive, but its just with themselves. And it is drilled into us, that you only work at your pace, no one elses. So thats always encouraging.

I really hope i find a box as good as this one in London in April. Any suggestions will be welcomed ;)

I think it's like finding a doctor. You just have to keep trying until you find the right match. We were blessed to find ours (it was the only one in town) and couldn't be prouder of it. Best luck this weekend!

Reporting back on my 1st CF experience: I didn't love it. It seemed like this box wasn't really prepared for newbies (modifications weren't really offered...I was not told I could do pushups on my knees if I couldn't do standard ones...this would have been super helpful for overweight newbies and people with weak T-Rex like upper bodies such as myself). I am not deterred but this box was definitely not my box. And also my worst fear about people watching me work out came true as the entire class before us stayed and watched our group's WOD. I don't know if this is normal at all boxes but it made be intensely uncomfortable.

Robin is right in that you need to find some place that "feels" right to you and don't give up the first one isn't meeting your needs.

What if a person is overweight and coming from a nearly non existent exercise background? Can someone like that start doing CF? We have a CF gym here in Naples but I am always afraid of going into a gym and being judged or worse.

Absolutely! One of our W30 champs (at my box) is a guy who is about 150 lbs overweight and started at square one. He was just nominated for the Learn To Never Quit award at our 1st annual Woddy awards :)

Reporting back on my 1st CF experience: I didn't love it. It seemed like this box wasn't really prepared for newbies (modifications weren't really offered...I was not told I could do pushups on my knees if I couldn't do standard ones...this would have been super helpful for overweight newbies and people with weak T-Rex like upper bodies such as myself). I am not deterred but this box was definitely not my box. And also my worst fear about people watching me work out came true as the entire class before us stayed and watched our group's WOD. I don't know if this is normal at all boxes but it made be intensely uncomfortable.

Robin is right in that you need to find some place that "feels" right to you and don't give up the first one isn't meeting your needs.

This makes me sad. But, not every box is the right box. You NEED to find a box that is set up to handle newbs. We have a 4 week "Learn to CrossFit" class that takes newcomers through EVERY movement and its scaling options (including rope and wall climbs). Then, we have a "Starter" WOD during every 5,6,and 7pm class that offers a more in-depth movement breakdown, scaled movements and slower pace for anyone not comfortable with the group WOD.

You'll find your home soon enough!

PS: It's normal for folks to stay and cheer, but not generally an entire class. And not staring.

What if a person is overweight and coming from a nearly non existent exercise background? Can someone like that start doing CF? We have a CF gym here in Naples but I am always afraid of going into a gym and being judged or worse.

Sharon, you just described my hubby. Please read his CrossFit testimonial here: http://crossfitjackson.com/testimonials/nick-weidenhoft/

Hopefully that will answer your question!

Archived