First time Crossfit

Ra_k_

Reporting back on my 1st CF experience: I didn't love it. It seemed like this box wasn't really prepared for newbies (modifications weren't really offered...I was not told I could do pushups on my knees if I couldn't do standard ones...this would have been super helpful for overweight newbies and people with weak T-Rex like upper bodies such as myself).

My box doesn't allow pushups on your knees. Instead they have you "roll-up" and then plank down. This will actually help you gain the strength to do regular push-ups (according to our coaches).

What if a person is overweight and coming from a nearly non existent exercise background? Can someone like that start doing CF? We have a CF gym here in Naples but I am always afraid of going into a gym and being judged or worse.

I think a lot of people feel that way when they join a gym for the first time, whether you're slim or overweight (or anywhere in between) joining a gym can be intimidating. At the same time, no one knows how hard it is to get and stay in shape than people who are in shape. Getting out of shape is easy, getting in shape takes a lot of work :) When I see a new gym goer I usually think "Good for them for giving it a go!". Remember you may not be where you want to be right now, but you'll be one day closer ;)

Sharon, you just described my hubby. Please read his CrossFit testimonial here: http://crossfitjacks...ick-weidenhoft/

Hopefully that will answer your question!

Thanks! The local CF box here has a trial period and we are going to check it out after the holidays. I am borderline diabetic, have arthritis, nerve damage in both legs and feet (from a back injury), bone spurs, thyroid issues... in total I am a complete mess. :) Since Whole30 and staying 95% compliant afterwards, my blood sugar upon waking is never above 100 and usually in the 120-127 range after eating, which is VERY good for me. I love the lifestyle, now I am just trying to motivate myself to become more active. :)

now I am just trying to motivate myself to become more active. :)

You are an inspiration! I hope you love CrossFit as much as the rest of us do...if anything, you should find a loving and supportive home of new friends who want nothing more than to see you continue to get stronger and healthier. (If you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of an enthusiast....)

Yowza! We allow knee pushups, but our coaches are picky about your knee-hip-shoulder line.

Really? That surprises me. It's a little off topic, but I would never recommend knee pushups to anyone. If you need to scale it's better to elevate the front part of your body (ie. do them at an angle against a wall or a bench or on a step until you can go fully horizontal).

On the actual topic of Crossfit: I know a lot of people really enjoy it, but a number of things about it really turn me off....and that's ok. Although I do a lot of the same exercises crossfitters do, I just happen to prefer one-on-one with my trainer, solo exercise at my gym, specific yoga and kettlebell classes, etc. over working out at a crossfit box. To anyone discouraged, I would say just keep trying new things until you find what makes you happy (both physically and mentally).

Really? That suprizes me. It's a little off topic, but I would never recommend knee pushups to anyone. If you need to scale it's better to elevate the front part of your body (ie. do them at an angle against a wall or a bench or on a step until you can go fully horizontal).

They're definitely not recommended, that's for sure. But some folks are just not comfortable with the other scaled options.

I agree with you about experimenting until you find what's right for you. CrossFit just ain't the environment for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new and couldn't resist jumping in here. My box has a scaled push up option similar to banded pull ups. You strap the band around the pull up bar and then around where your bra goes around your rib cage. Form is perfect and you wean to lower resistance bands. Works very well and you don't form poor form habits like worming up.

I am going to try my very first crossfit class this saturday. Eeeek! I'm hoping I don't hate it because I'll be on day 5 of my W30 so I might not be feeling optimal. I called to book my first visit and they were exceedingly nice so I hope that carries over into the class. They also said just to come to any class instead of the fundamentals class so I'm a bit scared. Yikes.

I am going to try my very first crossfit class this saturday. Eeeek! I'm hoping I don't hate it because I'll be on day 5 of my W30 so I might not be feeling optimal. I called to book my first visit and they were exceedingly nice so I hope that carries over into the class. They also said just to come to any class instead of the fundamentals class so I'm a bit scared. Yikes.

Good luck! I'll be starting my CF on-ramp (my box's intro for newcomers) 6 days into my first W30 so I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!!

Just finished my On Ramp classes at my local CrossFit and am hooked.....starting regular classes next week...on day nine of my WHole40( was supposed to be a 30 but I started early)....Love how motivating and supportive everyone is!

I've only been to our box's free beginner class once and it was the most positive environment! I stayed and watched half the class after and it had all shapes and sizes. One of their regulars is a big gal like me and it was fun to see her so plugged in and confident.

My kids and I have our 3-4 hour official mandatory introductory class this coming Saturday and then they have modified on ramp classes at lower volume class times. So this time next week I will have done my mandatory class, paid my dues, and on the journey! I'm scared but that's why I have to do it right? There's no courage without fear they say :) this first month will be just me but starting February my 9, 11, and 13 yo will be coming with me.

It's great to see everyone so enthusiastic about CrossFit. I've been hesitant to try it out for several reasons - first, while I'm incredibly fit for endurance training (we know that may not be the healthiest route) due to a history of distance racing, I'm so weak in the strength area and feel like a complete failure when trying to "lift heavy things." Secondly, xfit gyms are SO expensive where I live! Are there success stories of changing exercise routines without xfit or "soft" introductions?

I came from an endurance sport background and I'm in the Army so long slow runs with a little speed work was the status quo for me. I've done numerous 26.2's and a 50K trail race, but I've since stopped all my distance running and switched to a purely CrossFit plan. I WOD and strength train in accordance with the plan my box puts out.

I've seen huge improvements in 5K, 10K and half marathon times. I'm talking like 20% improvements with no long runs!!!

Give it a try. Most boxes offer a free WOD on weekends to allow people to try it out.

Tried CrossFit for the first time last night. It was a little intimidating at first, but everyone was nice and they did a great job modifying the nights WOD(thank god, cuz I never could have done it as planned!). We got a good workout in and got a taste for what it's like. We are planning on getting a 10 class pass to see how we do. How often do people usually go per week? My schedule is a little crazy right now, so I'm thinking I can only get there on Monday and Thursday nights. Is that ok?

Colleen - glad you enjoyed it! The number of classes people attend per week really varies depending on their personal recovery and their goals. You always need to give your body time to rest and heal after a crazy workout, so twice per week may be just the place to start!

That's good, because based on how my arms and sides feel, I think twice a week will be just fine for now! Not as bad as I thought they might, but, sore enough that today's long run might be harder than usual!

Archived