Bacon a plated fat?

Kaitey

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Kaitey said:

I'm seeing info now saying bacon can be considered a plated fat. Is this true? If so, can eggs and high fat processed meat also be considered a plated fat? 

Bacon has always been allowed as a fat so long as the ingredients are all compliant.  Eggs are not considered a fat, they're considered a protein.  What do you mean by can high fat processed meat also be considered a plated fat?  Are you referring to bacon or something else?

Don't count on bacon for your fat at every meal tho, have a variety of fats.

13 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

What do you mean by can high fat processed meat also be considered a plated fat?  Are you referring to bacon or something else?

Like sausage for example. It has much more fat then bacon. So why would bacon be considered a fat if other meat based items like eggs or sausage that have a higher fat content then bacon not be considered a fat? They all have equivocal protein. 

• Moderators

We want you to get 4-5 hours between meals and to do that, you need to eat protein, fat and veggies.  You are welcome to experiment with only eating the sausage if you feel that it's enough fat, but you'll want to really watch how you're doing hunger and satiety wise as well as watch because nutrition is cumulative so it might not affect you right away but in a few days you could find yourself tired, cranky, hungry etc...

The template is the minimum amount of food an adult human needs to eat... bear that in mind when you're making your protein, fat and veggie choices.  it is exceedingly difficult to overeat fat, so it won't hurt to plate up another fat like avocado an then if you don't eat it, you don't eat it.

Also, eggs are not meat or meat based.

Yeh for me bacon would never be enough fat and it's not on the plated fat lists which is where my initial concern came from. Seemed like it was being singled out but didn't have the nutritional backing to be a true fat according to the template. Lots of other programs utilize eggs as a fat source which is why I compared. I just want to make sure I'm conveying correct information cause I'm afraid it may have started a fad of bacon being a true plated fat. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Kaitey said:

Yeh for me bacon would never be enough fat and it's not on the plated fat lists which is where my initial concern came from. Seemed like it was being singled out but didn't have the nutritional backing to be a true fat according to the template. Lots of other programs utilize eggs as a fat source which is why I compared. I just want to make sure I'm conveying correct information cause I'm afraid it may have started a fad of bacon being a true plated fat. 

Sorry, who are you conveying this information to and where are you trying to prevent a fad?  Bacon is considered a fat on the Whole30 and if people want to use it as one of their fats, that's fine.  Just as avocado is actually a fruit, it's considered a fat for the purpose of Whole30.

I'm seeing more and more posts of bacon being a sole fat and was told it can be considered a sole plated fat. Which is why i came here asking for clarification. Ive done 4 rounds and learn more and more each time. Im a moderator on a whole30 page so i like my information to be accurate. Avocado is clearly listed on the whole30 list of plated fats, unlike bacon. I apologize for my ignorance. 

If you're having bacon, eggs, and veggies for breakfast, it's possible that you won't really need more fat added to the meal to be satiated for 4-5 hours, assuming that you're eating the 3+ eggs that make up a serving (based on how many you can hold in your palm; for most women that's 3-4 and potentially more for men). But if you're crumbling 2 slices of bacon on a salad, you're going to need more fat. 

• 4 months later...

I posted on a FB Whole30 thread that I had made short ribs for dinner and was having them with riced cauliflower, which I browned in ghee. Someone "reminded" me to have "a plated fat" as well. Since short ribs of beef are one of the fattiest cuts there are, I can't image that I needed to add yet another fat to the plate, but I let it go.  Agree? 

Archived