I think caffeine is crushing me...

Being on the whole 30, I gave up my adult drinks, which was my primary purpose, and also that once in a while diet coke. I really didn't increase my coffee consumption (1-2 cups) but over the past week I noticed I was drinking more and more tea. I guess I was bored with water and it's sparkling forms. What I have found is that my sleep has been terrible. I went to bed at 9:30 last night, as I was tired, but tossed and turned till 12:30. I feel like I got hit by a freight train, and of course I want more coffee than my norm this morning. Right now I'm trying to flush my system with more water and tell myself that that next cuppa isn't going to make me feel any better.

I read the blog about going 4 months without caffeine, but it seems it was all about coffee. I want to know if anyone else has kicked the caffeine habit? Did you just ditch coffee or tea as well? What about the "decaf" options? I know decaf isn't really void of all caffeine but is it enough reduction to not crush your hormones?

• Moderators

Most teas do not have as much caffeine as coffee, but you may be getting a large dose of caffeine through the tea you have been drinking. And many people report becoming more sensitive to caffeine through doing a Whole30.

I find that I get edgy if I drink more that one cup of coffee per day and sometimes half a cup of coffee will do it.

I switched to herbal teas for most of my hot drink pleasure. I keep some green tea with caffeine in the house for occasional use, but live mostly on fruity, rooty, flower-flavored teas. And when I go into Starbucks with a friend, I often order decaf.

I quit coffee at the same time I started my Whole30. At the time, I was drinking regular coffee with milk and sugar from morning until night and eating about 90% junk and often skipping meals. I drank so much coffee, it was making me feel sick. So I quit, cold turkey. I had quit coffee before when pregnant, so knew I could do it. Doesn't make the withdrawal any more pleasant. I took some Tylenol on the second day to ease the headache.

My substitute was plain hot water. Same thermos going everywhere with me, but now it has hot water. Currently, I"m fighting a cold and drinking the hot water with some raw apple cider vinegar in it, which does seem to help, but I'll be going back to plain water when that is done. My coffee maker is in storage now, in case houseguests want to use it.

When out and about, I have had the occasional cup of black coffee, either regular or decaf. Without the milk and sugar, I don't enjoy it much and usually don't drink most of it. It only recently occurred to me to order herbal tea instead, so I'm trying some of those, but mostly I like my plain hot water and just stick with that.

Archived