This is probably TMI, but something I'm still noticing a problem with. I'm currently on Day 13, and my energy has finally increased and I am feeling good. The only problem is I do feel constipated and backed up. I have not been pooping normally since I started the program. It's only happening about once every few days. There will be other days, like today, that I feel like I need to go, and strain hard, but nothing happens. I have been also been gassy since I started. I have read up, and I have seen magnesium supplements recommended. Is there anything else I should look into?

My normal meals include:

Eggs in the morning, a salad with some sort of meat and some fruit at lunch, and a meat protein and roasted vegetable at night. There is variety, but that's a general look at what I'm consuming. I cook with olive oil, and occasionally have a few cashews in the afternoon. I have greatly increased my water intake since starting the program. Maybe 60-90 ounces a day? I haven't exactly been counting, but my big Yeti cup is refilled several times a day. I did stop drinking coffee when I started the program, because I realized I can't have it without a little sweetener; I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!! Sorry for the detail lol

• Moderators

Hey there - 

Are you having non starchy veggies with any of your meals?  You say eggs in the am but you don't list veggies or fat. I would cut out the nuts as they can be notoriously problematic on the gut and can cause constipation (or the reverse, just depends on the person).

Make sure your meals are up to the template with the veggies, protein and fats, drink 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight and yes, a magnesium supplement or epsom salt baths would definitely help.  Natural Calm is the preferred ingested magnesium around here; the unflavored one is compliant.

3 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey there - 

Are you having non starchy veggies with any of your meals?  You say eggs in the am but you don't list veggies or fat. I would cut out the nuts as they can be notoriously problematic on the gut and can cause constipation (or the reverse, just depends on the person).

Make sure your meals are up to the template with the veggies, protein and fats, drink 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight and yes, a magnesium supplement or epsom salt baths would definitely help.  Natural Calm is the preferred ingested magnesium around here; the unflavored one is compliant.

At night I am having usually asparagus or broccoli. I cook the eggs with olive oil, but no veggies in the morning. I will cut out the nuts. I will look into Natural Calm. Thank you for input!

My wife is having the same problem with constipation.  She's only had a couple bowl movements since starting our Whole30, we're starting day 10 today.  Last week was a spinach fest, we had spinach with nearly every meal.  This week it seems a lot of our recipes include sweet potatoes and cabbage.  We also eat a lot of zucchini and asparagus.  Would an herbal laxative tea with compliant ingredients be appropriate to use at this point?  Just to help get things moving.

I am on Day 30 and am still having this exact problem. Very difficult, strained, tiny poops. I've been using Natural Calm pretty regularly throughout the Whole30 and it doesn't seem to help. We identified I probably need to work on reducing the potatoes, but that is the only thing I have thought of to try. (I had 0 potatoes for like 3 days in a row this week and I did have a more normal poo on the third day, so that may be the ticket for me). It's hard to report out more info, though, as I had a sweet potato yesterday and now will be reintroducing things, so who knows what will happen.

Along with a laxative tea (let me know if you find a compliant brand, @CatholicDad), I am also considering stool softener. I am just concerned it won't help because it seems like there's nothing in there to come out. 

Would love to hear what others have tried and found successful! Thanks!

I have IBS-C and sometimes have to rely on senna tea for relief. I live in a small town that only has Kroger, Walmart and Food Lion to choose from. Kroger's organic Simple Truth line has a senna leaf and chamomile tea that I use. The ingredients (as of today) are senna leaf, chamomile flower, bitter fennel fruit and peppermint leaf. I try not to use it often/unless I absolutely have to because your body can become dependent on it for bm's but it's a godsend when needed.  

I will say, I used a generic of Miralax last night, and this morning it was like the floodgates opened. I may just use it while on the program. I purchased the Natural Calm as suggested, but I could not make myself drink it. Unlike the miralax, it most certainly had a very bitter unfortunate taste. I will probably still try to purchase a magnesium supplement, but in a pill form.

1 hour ago, txsydney said:

I will say, I used a generic of Miralax last night, and this morning it was like the floodgates opened. I may just use it while on the program. I purchased the Natural Calm as suggested, but I could not make myself drink it. Unlike the miralax, it most certainly had a very bitter unfortunate taste. I will probably still try to purchase a magnesium supplement, but in a pill form.

I started using the NC recently, and after dissolving it in the hot water I've been adding home brewed iced tea (decaf, I take it at night) and that alleviates the bitter taste for me!

1 hour ago, txsydney said:

I will probably still try to purchase a magnesium supplement, but in a pill form.

You might also want to look into a transdermal spray which is thought to be more effective as the magnesium is absorbed through the skin.

Archived