The perfect storm and my face ended up in icecream

chelle

Day 12 and I took a dive. I am sick and pmsing, perfect storm for seeking out instant comfort in food. I was literally half asleep on the couch, got up and went out in the cold weather for icecream! I felt like I wanted it so bad I was in physical pain. I ate way less than i would have before this and that it didnt taste very good after the first few bites. Now I fully intend to get right back on track because I adore what I am doing but to 'restart' makes me feel completely overwhelmed and I don't want to do that. Can I just proceed with my current whole 30? I am going to maintain a lot of the changes I have made A LOT passed my 30 days. It has already changed my life and a lot of my behaviors. Any input appreciated!!!

Chelle -

I think at this point we both know you can't just continue on as if nothing happened. You know, and I know, that you won't really be able to comfortably say you completed a Whole30. But, you do have options.

1. Change your end goal from a Whole30 to a Whole42 and look at this as a brief intermission. This approach is great for folks who would be disheartened enough to throw in the towel at the thought of starting over. That still gives you 30 clean days, allows you to say you complete the program without "starting over."

2. You can start over at Day 1. Some folks need the tough love of an official restart to put things into perspective. That idea of failure can be very motivating for some folks. If that's you, then that's the approach to take. However, DO NOT just give in to What The Hell syndrome and go off the rails because you failed already. That's not going to be good for you on any level.

It's really up to you to decide where to go from here, but we do want to see you keep going.

Hi chelle - I totally understand where you're coming from, but I think what you're looking for is an "it's okay, we all make mistakes" kind of response and I can promise you, you will NOT get that from this forum! Everyone on here is all about tough love and I think that's great - I sure needed to hear that many times myself - because without that, you'd be right back into that ice cream before you know it. You deserve better than that. You are not a failure, but you deserve better than just an "oh well, just move on". You started this program to change your life, so CHANGE it. That means when the perfect storm comes at you, you give it the finger (so to speak) and stand strong against it, knowing that it will NOT take you down. You can do thiis, and you can do it right. I agree with what Robin suggested - just turn it into a Whole42 or start over, but do NOT just ignore what happened. After all, you've probably been doing that for much of your life already which brought you to the program in the first place. I know I have. Everyone on this forum believes in you - don't short-change yourself by just blowing off your faceful of ice cream. You'll thank yourself for it, I promise.

Sigh...I so appreciate what you said robin, unfortunately that is what I was afraid of hearing! And to be 100% honest I think I could go for a very long time food wise on a strict whole 30, my concern is cocktails when holiday season starts! Sad but true! I had already decided November/thanksgiving I would just stay strong but come December I want to be able to have a Christmas ale etc here and there. I guess I need to really sit down and think about it. Including this slip, however, it has still already changed my life.

It's okay to feel frustrated, just don't let it get you down so far that you give up. It's hard enough as it is, and then with the added pressure of the holidays and all that entails. . . . . .

Just make a list of all that you hope to accomplish by going on the Whole30 and weight that against what you think you're giving up. Sometimes I do that and it makes the "appeal" of a drink or treat or whatever a lot less appealing after all. I'm so glad that the program has already started to change your life though - that's great to hear! Stay strong - you'll look and feel AWESOME before you know it :)

Archived