#SeptemberWhole30

alisonmae

@alisonmae The dreams are normal!  Make sure you're drinking enough water and eating enough fat. Those are the two things that affect my energy level if I think I'm getting enough carbs.

Day 8 for me as well and I'm feeling good.  I successfully said no to beers and bread during Saturday and Sunday's football games.  I definitely had a moment of "is it really worth it to continue on whole30?" but the thought of telling my friend who is doing this with me kept me on track.  

Sunday was chopping veggies, making a batch of scotch eggs and chocolate chili from Well Fed.  I feel prepped and ready to tackle another week.  Only "issue" is tomorrow I have an early work meeting (I need to leave the house when I normally wake up), so I'm glad the scotch eggs are good on-the-go protein!

@snowflower I've been seeing more and more of these egg roll in a bowl recipes!  I'm definitely going to cook up a batch this Sunday for the following week.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, All!

The hurricane is gone and happy to report I stayed 100% compliant! A huge NSV for me.  Regarding Nutpods - I've been using the French Vanilla flavor and love it. It's not sweet and just takes the bitter edge off of black coffee. I ordered the pumpkin spice from Amazon today.  I also ordered Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides...has anyone used this? 

Completely agree with @aussiegal about the precut coleslaw mix! I've been using that for lunch the past few days.  A couple handfuls of coleslaw, shredded grilled chicken, a little diced mango, homemade mayo mixed with a little pineapple juice and toss all together. I also throw in a handful of cashews once in a while.  So good!

Hope everyone has a good week :)

Hi all,  Well I faffed it!  :( But I'm not giving in and  I decided I really need to do the W30 reset before I go playing around with options.  So I'm starting day 1 again on a different thread and finding my mojo big time to do this, all of it, the right way.   But I will keep following this thread as well if that's ok to get ideas and keep in touch with how everyone is travelling.  Best of luck to all of you - go for that tiger blood! :)  

@stacie66 So glad the worst of the storm is over for you and happy you were able to remain compliant! 

@aussiegal Bummer! But so glad you're getting right back at it. I really feel that a full Whole30 is the best present you can give yourself, so I'm happy you're trying again. 

@alisonmae I'm not sure that it's normal to go through a 2nd phase of carb flu, but as someone else mentioned, perhaps you're not eating enough of a certain nutrient or perhaps you're relying too much on quick sugars? You should also be going through fat adaptation right around day 8-11, so it could be your body trying to adjust. I know you mentioned earlier that you've got a new favorite snack. Snacking isn't forbidden on a Whole30, but we're encouraged to adjust our meals so that they'll hold us 4-6 hours so that we don't need to snack at all. Honestly, this is my favorite thing about Whole30; I don't have to snack. It's so freeing to not have to constantly think about what snacks I'm going to eat to tide me over until my next meal. I just eat my meals. 

I'm no help in the coffee area...I've drunk my coffee black for years before I started Whole30. I've always been a big believer in not drinking my calories. Of course, this led me to drinking diet soda, which is definitely not the healthiest choice, but I've pretty much kicked that habit now. 

I was reading through a thread on this forum about reintroducing paleo "cheat treats" (i.e. the SWYPO stuff we're not allowed on a Whole30) and the responses got me thinking. I still use food as a reward on my Whole30. The steak dinner and the bacon this weekend were both to celebrate the completion of my first 5k race. I'm going to try to be more aware of this. I'd much rather find non-food ways to congratulate myself, because as soon as the Whole30 ends it's all too easy to slip back into the "treat" dessert which then leads to a "treat" meal which then leads to more "treat" meals until I feel miserable again. 

21 hours ago, aussiegal said:

Hi all,  Well I faffed it!  :( But I'm not giving in and  I decided I really need to do the W30 reset before I go playing around with options.  So I'm starting day 1 again on a different thread and finding my mojo big time to do this, all of it, the right way.   But I will keep following this thread as well if that's ok to get ideas and keep in touch with how everyone is travelling.  Best of luck to all of you - go for that tiger blood! :)  

I'm not liking that you "faffed"...guess that is Aussie for messed up ;), but like the fact that you're getting right back to it.  Good Luck, @aussiegal!

On 09/06/2017 at 5:48 AM, stacie66 said:

Stay strong @srdamore14! Sticking with the program while being sick is difficult, but very admirable!  Once the cold passes you'll know the rest of the plan will be a breeze. Hope you feel better soon :)

It's the new one "Ready or Not". I haven't made much from it yet but it's a fun read and has a lot of whole30 recipes.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, alisonmae said:

I KILLED a workout on Friday night that left me so excited. And then woke up today with a headache and my muscles ache like I have the flu...is it possible for the carb flu to swing back around for another hit? I felt like I was doing way better with my diet, adding in more carbs, etc. But I feel absolutely miserable today and slept so poorly last night. I even had dreams about accidentally eating non-compliant food last night! 

Day 8 for me and I just want to crawl back into bed and sleep forever. :unsure:

Are you doing pre and post WO meals??  This can make a difference.

On 9/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, stacie66 said:

Completely agree with @aussiegal about the precut coleslaw mix! I've been using that for lunch the past few days.  A couple handfuls of coleslaw, shredded grilled chicken, a little diced mango, homemade mayo mixed with a little pineapple juice and toss all together. I also throw in a handful of cashews once in a while.  So good!

OMG! I need to try this!

On 9/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, aussiegal said:

Hang in there....and try to get a complete 30 days in.  It'll be 4 Sundays that you need to make adjustments to and then you can add things back in and decide what is worth it for you.

Hey all, hope you're all doing well!

Day 14 for me and I'm still not feeling all that different. I think it's because I started this Whole30 off of a different baseline (this time I'm coming from eating mostly compliant and not feeling terrible, last time from a SAD and all the GI & energy issues that go along with that), so it makes sense that I'd have to wait longer to see any improvements. I've been invited to a few events that revolve around food this weekend - cinebistro, basically dinner + movie at the same time and then a Sunday brunch - I was considering dropping my Whole30 to practice food freedom on these days, but I'm going to do my best to remain compliant. I think I'll skip the food at the movie. I looked through the menu and didn't see anything so totally worth it that I'd be missing out if I didn't try it. I'll just bring my knitting and enjoy the company.  The brunch may be doable as well. That restaurant has some good omelette options, I'll just have to check on how the omelettes are prepared. I'd guess most omelettes include milk with the eggs, so I'm thinking I might see if I can order 3 fried eggs with the omelette veggies. We'll see how it goes! 

How is everyone else doing?

Day 11 over here and feeling tired.  I think I need to up my fat during my meals.  I was feeling really good for a few days, then yesterday and today I'm back to being tired again.  I'm sleeping better, so that's a major NSV, just need to get my energy levels up.  Food boredom is also starting to set in.  I'm definitely going to make the egg roll in a bowl next on Sunday to switch things up and I'm going to hit up Chipotle for lunch tomorrow so I can eat something NOT made by me.  

@NoneOtherThanAmy your plan for this weekend sounds good!  Poached eggs are always a good option too if you're not sure about the cooking oils.  

Well, I messed up. Didn't read a label properly. I was feeling pretty down and I told my Crossfit coach that I was qutting... he said who cares, keep going! So I will, it's only two-ish weeks left. Here's a list of mistakes I've made: Day 7 - forgot what I was doing and ate a tiny homemade muffin that someone brought into work. Day 21 - Cashews with peanut oil. Day ??? (restart) - Canned tuna with soy in the ingredients. Day 12 (restart) - Sunflower butter with sugar.

22 hours ago, alw289 said:

Day 11 over here and feeling tired.  I think I need to up my fat during my meals.  I was feeling really good for a few days, then yesterday and today I'm back to being tired again.  I'm sleeping better, so that's a major NSV, just need to get my energy levels up.  Food boredom is also starting to set in.  I'm definitely going to make the egg roll in a bowl next on Sunday to switch things up and I'm going to hit up Chipotle for lunch tomorrow so I can eat something NOT made by me.  

@NoneOtherThanAmy your plan for this weekend sounds good!  Poached eggs are always a good option too if you're not sure about the cooking oils.  

Great idea about the poached eggs! I never would have considered that option, thank you.

I think energy ups and downs are still common through the 2nd and 3rd weeks, but definitely get enough fat. It can only help! I can always tell when I haven't had enough because I'll get hungry within 2-3 hrs of eating. I like your plan of Chipotle and trying a new recipe to combat food boredom. Hope you make it through! I think it takes a bit of trial and error to come up with a delicious menu that keeps away food boredom. 

@crkohring Argh!! That's so hard. Label reading and learning which foods contain sneaky ingredients is a huge part of the program, but it sucks to be constantly restarting because of it. I'll be honest, my first Whole30 I was eating a balsamic vinegar with a sneaky sugar (caramel color) and didn't realize that was problematic until about halfway through. <_< I decided to keep going because 1) it was sugar, so it didn't have gut-disrupting properties and 2) I didn't know it was an issue until a read a moderator's comment about watching out for caramel color in balsamic vinegar. It's not on the list of sneaky sugars and I figured it was just a food coloring agent. Google wasn't even that helpful in figuring out what it was.

Day 15 for me! I'm thinking I'll be buying myself a Well Fed and a Non Non Paleo cookbook, probably tomorrow after I get paid.

I keep thinking about the meats I eat. I've been starting to try to buy good quality meats when I can afford it, but I've been eating a ton of factory farmed ground pork and ground turkey lately because they're so cheap. Probably not the healthiest option. I do allow myself factory farmed skinless boneless chicken breasts because they have so little fat, but the ground pork and turkey are both about 20% fat. I'd really like to get more fish into my diet in place of some of those other meats. Something I've been mulling over lately, anyway. Have a great Friday everyone!

Sept 15 means day 15 for me!  wow, that's halfway! At this point the biggest challenge is all the time required for food prep.  I have times when I wish I didn't have to go back into the kitchen to plan and prep for the next day. So far I haven't buckled, but I have come close.  Overall, I feel really good. But.....the other day I went out to dinner, and despite asking lots of questions, I have a feeling I missed something and ate something non-compliant.  I felt crappy that night and had difficulty falling asleep.  We are going to be out of town for a few days next week, which will present challenges.  Taking our bikes to Martha's Vineyard with a bunch of friends. No car, no cooler.  

I made stuffed peppers and used leftover chimichurri sauce instead of a tomato-based sauce.  It was good, but the chimuchurri sauce didn't add as much flavor as I was hoping.  But I was able to use up a bunch of veggies that got thrown in.  I actually keep a small basket in my frig for veggies that can be chopped up and thrown into omlets, soups, stir fries, etc.  Half an onion, or bell pepper, etc. Here's a recipe that actually appeared on my W30 instagram feed the day AFTER I made mine.  https://nocrumbsleft.net/2017/09/14/whole30-stuffed-peppers/.  I used the recipe in the W30 book.  

Planning on firing up my Instant Pot this weekend for curried cream of broccoli soup:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/152520388838/instant-pot-curried-cream-of-broccoli-soup.  Its a great way to add veggies to any meal, add a cup of vegetable-based soup! 

@NoneOtherThanAmy yes more fish! but it takes planning so it can be cooked and eaten on the same day as purchase.  I try to buy only wild-caught fish and I try not to freeze it. 

@crkohring so frustrating..... but I think just about everyone who completes a Whole30 knows it probably was only 99% compliant at best.  Something is bound to sneak in and you may not even be aware of it.  I've never used a Whole30 approved partner, like Thrive Market, but maybe that's a great option so you don't have to spend hours reading labels.  

Hello, All!

Day 16 for me and the Tiger Blood has finally kicked in! Sleeping great and inflammation seems to be almost completely gone. I have arthritis in my feet and a little in my fingers, and the swelling I used to have in the morning is gone. That alone has made this plan completely worth it! I am getting a little bored with the food, but have picked a few recipes to try this weekend.  Yesterday's lunch was the worst, but compliant and checked all of the boxes...I just needed a break from cooking.  Two hard boiled eggs, a stick of Chomps beef jerky, bell peppers strips and an apple with almond butter.  Yum <_<

Sorry to hear that you had to restart @crkohring...so annoying that nearly everything has added sugar. I bought canned tomatoes yesterday and couldn't believe there was sugar listed in the ingredient list. Good luck with your restart!

@ShellyM, let us know how you like the Instant Pot! I have it on my "wish list" and might get as a reward for completely the entire Whole30...that and a pedicure, of course.

I have a NSV to share.  Like many woman, I have clothes in a few different sizes in my closet, so I decided to try on some jeans.  I was able to pull on a couple pair that I couldn't get over my hips before I started this plan! I got them zipped, but I still have a little ways to go before I can wear them in public. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

So, I just talked to a friend about getting more fish into my diet and found out that I live within walking distance of the best fish monger in Richmond. Now I have no excuses. Must incorporate more fish! Off to search recipes.

@stacie66 So happy to hear about your NSV! I bet by the end you'll be able to wear those jeans out in public! 

@ShellyM I love my pressure cooker...I don't have an instant pot brand (kinda wish I did, but this one is serviceable) and it is amazing for quickly cooking up large batches of protein. That soup looks great and I've been thinking about making the kalua pork she links to in that post.

Day 17 here and still feeling pretty good.  I almost blew it yesterday with some sun dried tomatoes. I tossed some into a salad and then looked at the bag - sulfur dioxide to maintain color. That's one of the "off limits" foods.  Some foods are so damn annoying! So back into the pantry they went until the program is over.

I did a lot of prepping for the upcoming week and currently have a crockpot full of pork carnitas cooking away. I haven't tried yet, but it smells incredible. Will keep you posted! Thought the leftovers would be good over a roasted sweet potato.  Here's the link...

https://www.mykitchenescapades.com/pork-carnitas-recipe/

How is everyone else doing?  Also, just curious is anyone has made cauliflower rice.  Going to make some tomorrow and would love any insight. Thanks! Have a great week :)

Hi folks,

After a couple of days feeling blah, I feel much better today.  I spent most of the day writing for work, but I had laser focus and the words kept coming!  I did some food prep before I sat down at my computer and after I felt like I had gotten a good chunk done, I went back into the kitchen and did some more.   

Yesterday I made the broccoli soup and its good but not great.  Part of the problem is that it was kinda hot yesterday in NY, and probably didn't belong on the menu.  Well, I froze some and will eat the rest over the next day or two.  I also made mayo to embellish and top a piece of bluefish.  The fish was very moist and tasty, that was a success!

Today I roasted some beets and a sweet potato that was hanging out. Naturally sweet, those are sure to get gobbled up in no time!.  Made a tuna salad for lunch and then a ranch dressing to use up the mayo.  

And I am marinating something chicken drumsticks and shrimp in a cilantro/ginger marinade that I will toss on the grill soon.   

@stacie66 I have made cauliflower rice many times.  I prefer to roast it and then add other ingredients like the pilaf one at the bottom. 

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/25/roasted-cauliflower-rice/

oooooh pork carnitas....... yum! I love my crockpot more than my instant pot. But I think if I used the Instant Pot more, I would become a "pt head." 

Hi all, I made it through the events this weekend! It was hard and not hard at the same time. I had a club soda plus lime at the movie and since it was dark and there was a movie on, it wasn't awkward that I wasn't eating. At brunch yesterday I had an omelette with veggies and fruit and the server said he'd make sure that the kitchen knew I was on a dairy-restricted diet, so I'm trusting that the omelette didn't have any milk with the eggs. I AM pretty sensitive to dairy, so I think I'd be feeling the ramifications if there was any dairy in the meal. So that part wasn't too hard. Then they bring out a plate of fresh cinnamon rolls and at first I was a little disappointed that I couldn't have one, but it wasn't as hard to resist as I thought and it was kind of nice to have an iron clad excuse to refuse. I guess I didn't need that little package of sugar, gluten, and dairy.

Interestingly, I was also somewhat relieved to not be drinking over the weekend. I've never been a big drinker...maybe 1 or 2 drinks a month, but I've always had drinks whenever I go out with friends. It's almost like I feel pressured into drinking even though I don't really enjoy the way I feel after I drink. I think I had even more fun completely sober than I would have if I had a drink or 2. I never knew that about myself, so I'm glad I was able to navigate these social events while on the Whole30.

Another thing I've started to notice is that when I've got something on my mind, like a decision or something I'm trying to think through, my previous coping mechanism had been to sort of "shut down" and brood over whatever was on my mind. This usually also required comfort food and Netflix, plus it would mean that I would get NOTHING done and I'd end up almost sad and depressed because I just avoided everything and ate junk all weekend long. Now that I'm on the Whole30, I've found it much more productive to get up and do things...not ignoring whatever is on my mind, but just going on and doing the things that I need to get done (like cooking and grocery shopping, for example). I was chopping veggies while thinking through the thing that was on my mind last night and realized I just needed to let it go. There's no point in wasting brain power thinking through things that will probably never happen. Once I realized that, I was able to lose myself in the rest of my cooking and food prep and had a wonderfully productive evening. :) 

I managed to get some cooking done this weekend, but not as much as normal, so I'll probably be throwing meals together on the fly by Wednesday or so. I did buy some things to make salads again and I'm looking forward to more salads. I love fresh veggies!

Hope everyone has a great week!

@NoneOtherThanAmy those are some impressive insights!  It's amazing what pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can do.  

I also had a successful weekend.  I went to a professional sporting even on Saturday and normally that means beer and fried food.  I was able to "just say no" and it was easier than I thought it would be.  I had a few hard boiled eggs, carrots and almonds in the car on the way down and a lara bar on the way home.  Not being hungry really helped me say no.  Sunday was meal prepping some Pad Thai from Well Fed and egg roll in a bowl while watching football.  

Some current NSV that I'm enjoying: clearer skin, my rings feeling looser, more consistent energy, and not be ravenous constantly.  I was hoping for having more energy, but waking up 1 or 2 a night with my baby isn't helping on that front :).  

Half way through Day 15 and I'm feeling good!

On 9/14/2017 at 3:57 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Hey all, hope you're all doing well!

Day 14 for me and I'm still not feeling all that different. I think it's because I started this Whole30 off of a different baseline (this time I'm coming from eating mostly compliant and not feeling terrible, last time from a SAD and all the GI & energy issues that go along with that), so it makes sense that I'd have to wait longer to see any improvements. I've been invited to a few events that revolve around food this weekend - cinebistro, basically dinner + movie at the same time and then a Sunday brunch - I was considering dropping my Whole30 to practice food freedom on these days, but I'm going to do my best to remain compliant. I think I'll skip the food at the movie. I looked through the menu and didn't see anything so totally worth it that I'd be missing out if I didn't try it. I'll just bring my knitting and enjoy the company.  The brunch may be doable as well. That restaurant has some good omelette options, I'll just have to check on how the omelettes are prepared. I'd guess most omelettes include milk with the eggs, so I'm thinking I might see if I can order 3 fried eggs with the omelette veggies. We'll see how it goes! 

How is everyone else doing?

Started September 1 and this is my second Whole30 (first one was 5 years ago, though!). I am also mostly compliant - I am gluten-free always, mostly dairy and legume free, and indulge in chocolate and paleo treats occasionally. Anyway, I am not noticing any changes, which is a bit disappointing. I am not sleeping better, I don't have more energy, my digestion is still hit or miss, nothing fits better...The program has been mostly easy for me. I miss crunchy things (such as plantain chips) and I am super proud that I have not been tempted by chocolate, even when I'm bored at work. I'm also thrilled to be cooking again, as exhausting as it can sometimes be. I love to cook but got pretty lazy and now my plates are colorful and look like restaurant food sometimes. Even my junk-food eating boyfriend who I live with has been impressed. However, it is a bit discouraging to be on day 19 and see no changes. I wish I knew why.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:58 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Hi all, I made it through the events this weekend! It was hard and not hard at the same time. I had a club soda plus lime at the movie and since it was dark and there was a movie on, it wasn't awkward that I wasn't eating. At brunch yesterday I had an omelette with veggies and fruit and the server said he'd make sure that the kitchen knew I was on a dairy-restricted diet, so I'm trusting that the omelette didn't have any milk with the eggs. I AM pretty sensitive to dairy, so I think I'd be feeling the ramifications if there was any dairy in the meal. So that part wasn't too hard. Then they bring out a plate of fresh cinnamon rolls and at first I was a little disappointed that I couldn't have one, but it wasn't as hard to resist as I thought and it was kind of nice to have an iron clad excuse to refuse. I guess I didn't need that little package of sugar, gluten, and dairy.

Interestingly, I was also somewhat relieved to not be drinking over the weekend. I've never been a big drinker...maybe 1 or 2 drinks a month, but I've always had drinks whenever I go out with friends. It's almost like I feel pressured into drinking even though I don't really enjoy the way I feel after I drink. I think I had even more fun completely sober than I would have if I had a drink or 2. I never knew that about myself, so I'm glad I was able to navigate these social events while on the Whole30.

Another thing I've started to notice is that when I've got something on my mind, like a decision or something I'm trying to think through, my previous coping mechanism had been to sort of "shut down" and brood over whatever was on my mind. This usually also required comfort food and Netflix, plus it would mean that I would get NOTHING done and I'd end up almost sad and depressed because I just avoided everything and ate junk all weekend long. Now that I'm on the Whole30, I've found it much more productive to get up and do things...not ignoring whatever is on my mind, but just going on and doing the things that I need to get done (like cooking and grocery shopping, for example). I was chopping veggies while thinking through the thing that was on my mind last night and realized I just needed to let it go. There's no point in wasting brain power thinking through things that will probably never happen. Once I realized that, I was able to lose myself in the rest of my cooking and food prep and had a wonderfully productive evening. :) 

I managed to get some cooking done this weekend, but not as much as normal, so I'll probably be throwing meals together on the fly by Wednesday or so. I did buy some things to make salads again and I'm looking forward to more salads. I love fresh veggies!

Hope everyone has a great week!

One of the things that I've always thought makes Whole30 easy is taking the decision off the table. I don't have to think do I want this, should I eat this - the decision is not even the point - it's a done deal. I'm not much of a rules person so that sort of surprised me, but for me, it makes it easy to stick to the plan. Glad you were able to have your social life and continue on!

9 hours ago, libchick said:

Started September 1 and this is my second Whole30 (first one was 5 years ago, though!). I am also mostly compliant - I am gluten-free always, mostly dairy and legume free, and indulge in chocolate and paleo treats occasionally. Anyway, I am not noticing any changes, which is a bit disappointing. I am not sleeping better, I don't have more energy, my digestion is still hit or miss, nothing fits better...The program has been mostly easy for me. I miss crunchy things (such as plantain chips) and I am super proud that I have not been tempted by chocolate, even when I'm bored at work. I'm also thrilled to be cooking again, as exhausting as it can sometimes be. I love to cook but got pretty lazy and now my plates are colorful and look like restaurant food sometimes. Even my junk-food eating boyfriend who I live with has been impressed. However, it is a bit discouraging to be on day 19 and see no changes. I wish I knew why.

Hang in there! I am finally starting to feel some positive changes now on day 19, so I just had to wait longer than I expected. 

Some things that could be affecting your results: not eating enough (especially fat), snacking/grazing on compliant items, not salting your food, not drinking enough water, or perhaps you're sensitive to something you've been eating more of on the program (FODMAPS, nightshades, etc.). Feel free to list out a few days of your food intake, including portion sizes as they relate to the meal template and one of us or the mods can comment if we see something that may be affecting your results.

Hi all! As I said in the post earlier, I feel like I'm finally starting to see some results from this Whole30. I'm feeling more confident, happy, and at peace. Possibly a bit more energy, but definitely not Energizer Bunny level energy. I had a good run last night...it was only 2 miles, but it's a challenging run for me. I developed the route when I could just barely run a mile, so I would constantly be checking my FitBit to see how far I had gone and as soon as it hit a mile, I'd pretty much be done running. As it turns out, the 2nd mile is pretty hilly, so even when I did develop the endurance to keep going past a mile, I'd end up walking on or after the hills (I often make myself run up the hills and will allow myself to walk down them). I think I just started developing a mental block about the 2nd half of that run, so I was happy to finally conquer that route!

My NSVs so far are very different than the last time I did a Whole30. This time, I'm noticing more things like developing new coping mechanisms, learning new things about myself, etc. Although, I will admit that I think clothes are fitting even looser than before and I'm kinda excited. I wasn't expecting much change in body composition with this Whole30 because I'd been losing steadily since my last Whole30. I don't think I'm going to weigh myself at the end, but I'll probably do some body measurements again to see if I need to adjust sizing for things when I knit or sew myself something. :) 

On 9/10/2017 at 7:44 AM, snowflower said:

Snowflower's Eggroll in a Bowl  -- I've been making this for years.  It's a super easy one skillet meal and the leftovers taste great, too!  

1. 1 pound ground pork
  2. 1/2 yellow or white onion chopped
  3. 2 tsp sesame oil
  4. 3 cloves garlic
  5. 1 tsp ground ginger
  6. 1/4C coconut aminos
  7. splash of fish sauce
  8. 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  9. 1 package of precut coleslaw from Whole Foods (this has green and red cabbage and carrots and is probably around 6 Cups if you want to cut your own)
  10. 1/2 tsp salt
  11. 1/4 tsp pepper

Brown pork in a large saute pan until fully cooked.  Add chopped onion and sesame oil.  Cook until onions brown a bit.  Mix spices and coconut aminos in a small bowl and then add to pork mixture.  Add splash of fish sauce.  Stir.  Add cabbage mix and stir until cabbage has wilted a little bit.

Thanks for this great recipe, @snowflower! I made it tonight and it was so good, I think I convinced my husband to do a W30 round with me in January :)

All going smoothly for me on Day 20. I went for a walk this morning and my body actually felt "different"...like I was walking taller and moving easier.  Hard to explain, but it was a definite and noticeable improvement.

Hope everyone else is doing well and hanging in there...we're in the home stretch!

2017-09-20 17.41.44.jpg

wow! @stacie66 so beautiful! OK, I will share a photo too.  I went to the farmers market this morning. 

I already cooked the green beans, marinated them in a mustard vinaigrette and threw on some toasted sliced almonds. Made this last week and my husband asked me to make it again. Then i sliced some of the little plums and chopped some of the cilantro on my way to a fruity salsa. Covered the grill with marinated chicken breasts and a nice piece of wild tuna.  Whenever I grill, I always try to grill up a bunch of chicken for salads, etc. 

We were supposed to go to Martha's Vineyard this weekend but the remnants of Hurricane Jose have canceled that trip.  In a way, I am relieved b/c I know it would have been very challenging to stay compliant.  So back in the kitchen! 

I am also feeling very good.  I have "chronic crappy left knee" syndrome and my knee feels MUCH better.  Also sleeping better, which is the first thing I noticed after my first W30.  

Let's keep the positive energy going! 

fullsizeoutput_338.jpeg

Archived