#SeptemberWhole30

alisonmae

2 hours ago, alw289 said:

Timing is SO important.  Definitely take this opportunity to test out some recipes to find a few that you know you love and are confident you can make.  It'll make your first round a lot easier!  Good luck with your move!

Thsnk you. I'll be making a lot of the recipes. I eat pretty "clean" as it is (other than my Starbucks and my macaron addictions - thank God the Midnight Mint Mocha frapp is no longer available!!). I haven't had time or energy to do a pantry/kitchen rehaul in just a few days, so I know there's sneaky things like cornstarch, chocolate, and such. I have very little in the way of processed foods, and none of my canned or frozen stuff has sugar or other evil things. I really should get my hubby on board as well to be really successful, and not spring a "we're doing Whole30 starting tomorrow" on him. 

Good luck! I will be here, following, learning, and encouraging! Melissa's two new books will be out for January, too. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I'm joining in on the September whole 30 as well. I did my first round this past May and felt amazing but didn't properly handle the reintroduction and fell off the wagon. I've been pretty dissatisfied with my job and have been eating my feelings and am looking to get back in control and lose a few pounds. I'll be traveling for the holiday weekend, but I'm committed to making this work!

Hello,  I started today on the whole 30. I started now because I have a dinner on September 30th and would like to have a small glass of wine at that dinner. I am tired of being sick and tired and I could stand to lose a few pounds too. I had mentioned it to my husband but he didn't seem thrilled. Well, when I came home tonight to cook dinner, I cooked chili. For my husband and kids, I purchased the Frito chips they like. I actually wasn't even tempted and was glad that I could make a meal that could be whole 30 compliant for me and still be tweaked to make everyone else happy. Well when it came time to eat, my husband said, 'oh, I am doing this wirh you!  That was the best news. I am so glad that he decided to join in. I also have a friend doing it with me too!  This is so exciting that we can do it together. 

The first day was actually easier than I thought it would be.  I am choosing to focus on the foods I can have instead of the no's!  

Also, the chili from the book is sooooo tasty! It has vegetable in it and my husband still ate it and liked it!  Looking forward to this journey 

Hello everyone, 

I'm also starting today. It's my 2nd round, I've completed my 1st W30 a few months ago and I loved it. But I didn't do the reintroduction phase properly and never got to discover which foods weren't working for me and started craving sugar and less unhealthy stuff too soon. I'm looking forward to this new round!

Hi All!

I'm Marie and on Day #3! This is my first Whole30 adventure. Glad to be committed with you all.

i'm a mother (one child with special needs), wife, personal trainer, fitness instuctor, triathlete, and full-time self employed in a family landscape business.... and I need a nutritional reboot big time. My dearest friend is currently battling cancer as well as a family member. It's never been more apparent to me how important what we put into our bodies is as it stands to me today. Even with all my experiences with exercise, I have not fully benefited because my eating habits have always been average at best and it has caught up to me physically, mentally and I'm sure emotionally too.

I'm truly  looking forward to engaging and connecting with you all through this process and lifestyle change. We can do this, one bite at a time!

Cheers to our 30 days of introspection into our relationship with food and changing our choices to healthy ones.

Marie

Hi,

Started today, was excited and nervous.

Just realized I now have to start again tomorrow!

The Lemon Juice I put in my water had Metabisulfite , never thought of checking it wasn't just Lemon juice - beware, first lesson learnt :-)

Paul

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Welcome to everyone else too @Alofa0509, @Ana Monica, @EDianaJ, @JanellaR, @CBS17, and @alexamassie! @Selcazare that chili sounds awesome. Perfect for fall!

How is everyone spending their last day(s) before starting the Whole30? My sugar dragon keeps telling me I need to eat all the things I won't be eating for the next 30 days. I try to tell it that's a silly plan...I don't really want Oreos, cake, pie, etc. and to eat it now just *in case* I might want it over the next 30 days is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying "I know I'm going to be thirsty tomorrow, so I'd better drink a ton of water today." :P It just won't work and will probably lead to increased cravings for off-plan things while I'm on the Whole30.

haha so true.. although id be lying if I said I DIDNT have a chocolate chip cookie, and dairy free ice cream last night as a final farewell for 30 days !!! Also.. only yall will find this funny.. so I usually buy baby food pouches (sweet potato/apple) for my post workout carbs.. so I bought 2 from whole foods yesterday and today after my training I grabbed the pouch.. sucked some up and before I swallowed I looked at the pouch because it tasted different.. well I accidentally had bought the sweet potato apple OATMEAL combo!! AHH!! I ran into the bathroom and immediately spit it out lol!!! So glad I checked before I messed up on day one!!!! 

38 minutes ago, alexamassie said:

haha so true.. although id be lying if I said I DIDNT have a chocolate chip cookie, and dairy free ice cream last night as a final farewell for 30 days !!! Also.. only yall will find this funny.. so I usually buy baby food pouches (sweet potato/apple) for my post workout carbs.. so I bought 2 from whole foods yesterday and today after my training I grabbed the pouch.. sucked some up and before I swallowed I looked at the pouch because it tasted different.. well I accidentally had bought the sweet potato apple OATMEAL combo!! AHH!! I ran into the bathroom and immediately spit it out lol!!! So glad I checked before I messed up on day one!!!! 

I'm on day 8 but I have had two dreams nightmares about doing this very thing.

Welcome everyone! I think this is going to be a great group to Whole30 with!

@jeggosh I also had a food nightmare on my first Whole30. It was kind of funny though. I had turned down all the non-Whole30 food at a party and then walked into the next room and started mindlessly munching on some M&Ms that were sitting out in a bowl. I woke up from my dream panicking and trying to decide when I should restart. So glad it was just a dream, haha! 

@alexamassie I *may* have had a last off-plan meal last night too. I'm actually happy about it though, I tried a local taco place and it was totally worth it. Plus, there was only 1 non-whole30 ingredient. Might be a perfect thing to eat on a reintroduction day!

Day 1 for me: I ran out of my prepared breakfast food, so I ate one of the lunch/dinners for meal 1 this morning. I ALMOST forgot to include a fat again which would have been at least the 3rd meal this week without added fat. I have so much trouble remembering to add fat to meals. :P Just finished my pot roast and veggies + ranch for lunch. It's a blustery, cool, rainy day here. I'm thinking I might need to go home and make chili or a hearty stew for dinner! 

Hope everyone starting today has a great Day 1!

Hi all!  I'm planning a September 4 start date as well and am thankful I found this forum just in time for the support and accountability. I lost a lot of weight 6 years ago by counting calories and working out well, but I've slowly dropped all the good habits and my weight has crept up and my health has declined. I had my first baby in April of this year so I'm wanting to be healthier for myself, but also want to get rid of some bad food habits before we start introducing him to food. So I figured now is a good time to do a whole30 and focus on my health and diet. I've got a freezer stocked with lots of meat and vegetable options and a meal plan ready for week one!  

Good morning everyone!! just checking in on day 2. I did all my meal planning last night and looking forward to trying some new recipes that look and sound delicious!! I have a Whole30 board on pinterest with some great recipes and Im happy to share them if anyone is interested. https://www.pinterest.com/samnkelli/p-a-l-e-o-the-whole-30/ 

I try to find recipes that are fast and easy -- with ingredients that are readily available. I enjoy cooking but the weather is super nice here this time of year so the less time in the kitchen, the better for me!  

What are you making this weekend?

18 minutes ago, samnkelli said:

Good morning everyone!! just checking in on day 2. I did all my meal planning last night and looking forward to trying some new recipes that look and sound delicious!! I have a Whole30 board on pinterest with some great recipes and Im happy to share them if anyone is interested. https://www.pinterest.com/samnkelli/p-a-l-e-o-the-whole-30/ 

I try to find recipes that are fast and easy -- with ingredients that are readily available. I enjoy cooking but the weather is super nice here this time of year so the less time in the kitchen, the better for me!  

Heading to the store(s) soon to get ingredients and cook a lot this weekend. I've never done pintrest, but I may have to look into it.  I'm looking for fast and easy recipes as well.  I'd love to hear what people are making this weekend! 

Happy Day Everyone!  I am a WHOLE30 newbie, although I've talked about it forever.  My husband, who suffers from multiple autoimmune diseases will be joining me.  I'm 46 y.o., mama to three amazing kiddos (18, 16, and almost 13).  Sent my oldest off to college last month, two recent deaths in our family, and busy like everyone else in the world.  Looking to improve my health and get control of life...have felt so down on myself, my health, and out of control for quite some time now.  Carry my weight well so no one really can tell how bad I feel, inside and out.  Love to serve others, volunteer, and love the Lord.  Really thinking about this as a spiritual journey too.  Want to take care of myself so I can do the work of Christ and serve my family and others well.  Happy to be here!  Best of luck to everyone on this adventure!

Hey guys! For everyone who started on the 1st, I hope it's going well. 

Quick question.. whats the most polite way to turn down food? I just started working at a bakery and my boss/coworkers will offer me day olds or food that isn't aesthetically perfect enough to sell to customers... My boss even offered to buy me lunch yesterday :unsure: I feel bad for turning every one down but I don't want to fail...

Hi Srohe. 

1 hour ago, srohe said:

Hey guys! For everyone who started on the 1st, I hope it's going well. 

Quick question.. whats the most polite way to turn down food? I just started working at a bakery and my boss/coworkers will offer me day olds or food that isn't aesthetically perfect enough to sell to customers... My boss even offered to buy me lunch yesterday :unsure: I feel bad for turning every one down but I don't want to fail...

Working at a bakery sounds awesome and treacherous!! 

I found this blurb below under the Whole30 Program rules -- and Im sure we all deal with having to turn down food at one point or another. For me, rather than declining the food and trying to explain the program and why Im doing it (which usually leads to eyes glazed over, a vacant stare or an occasional eye roll from the person I am speaking to), I just say No Thanks. No explanation needed. 

• You never, ever, ever have to eat anything you don’t want to eat. You’re all big boys and girls. Toughen up. Learn to say no, or make your mom proud and say, “No, thank you.” Learn to stick up for yourself. Just because it’s your sister’s birthday, or your best friend’s wedding, or your company picnic does not mean you have to beat anything. It’s always a choice, and we would hope that you stopped succumbing to peer pressure in 7th grade.

Maybe that will work for you?

Hello there! I started on Friday 1st September too (my very first whole30). But I have a question. Sice I started I have some uncomfortable feeling in my throat like a liquid is there. I have searched through the internet and found a issue called "post-nasal drio" and I think this is the one I have right now. Before starting the whole I had nothing like that not even digestive problems at all.... I had this "liquid feeling" back in 2013 after appendectomy.... It is now jist detox? Or Am I doing anything bad? I dont think I eat something more different that I was eating before W30 (ok I am not eating sweets, grains, milk now)... Any advice would be helpfull 

I started my Whole 30 today! My goals are to get back into long distance running as I used to be an avid running but a few years ago my health took a turn and long story short it has taken several years to find the cause and start healing my body.  I really struggle to even run more than a couple miles at this point and I'm tired of feeling sick, tired and I really struggle with my diet. I'm also almost 37 and I can tell I can't eat what I used to...everything goes to the middle!  I should stay away from grains and cheese but I love my cheese and quick gluten free snacks.  I have a habit of eating healthy for my main meals but I often snack in between, when I'm tired, bored, stressed.  I want to get a handle on how I approach food and really nourish my body and heal my gut so I can run again!

I tried to start the program a  couple times but never lasted.  This time I'm getting additional support through the forums and I signed up for the daily newsletter. I need all the accountability I can get!  

7 hours ago, samnkelli said:

I just started following your pinterest board! Thanks! I actually made the chocolate chili earlier today.  It's still really warm here but since I just started I want to make a few soups and a hardy salad that can last in my fridge for a few days.   Looking forward to completing day one!

On 8/31/2017 at 7:52 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Welcome to everyone else too @Alofa0509, @Ana Monica, @EDianaJ, @JanellaR, @CBS17, and @alexamassie! @Selcazare that chili sounds awesome. Perfect for fall!

How is everyone spending their last day(s) before starting the Whole30? My sugar dragon keeps telling me I need to eat all the things I won't be eating for the next 30 days. I try to tell it that's a silly plan...I don't really want Oreos, cake, pie, etc. and to eat it now just *in case* I might want it over the next 30 days is kind of ridiculous. That's like saying "I know I'm going to be thirsty tomorrow, so I'd better drink a ton of water today." :P It just won't work and will probably lead to increased cravings for off-plan things while I'm on the Whole30.

I completely binged last night with sweets, pizza, wine, the works.  Not sure if it made me feel mentally better or worse before I dove in today :)

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Ivetakoov said:

Hello there! I started on Friday 1st September too (my very first whole30). But I have a question. Sice I started I have some uncomfortable feeling in my throat like a liquid is there. I have searched through the internet and found a issue called "post-nasal drio" and I think this is the one I have right now. Before starting the whole I had nothing like that not even digestive problems at all.... I had this "liquid feeling" back in 2013 after appendectomy.... It is now jist detox? Or Am I doing anything bad? I dont think I eat something more different that I was eating before W30 (ok I am not eating sweets, grains, milk now)... Any advice would be helpfull 

You're probably not doing anything wrong. I get this from seasonal allergies a lot -- drinking plenty of water should help, but if it's really bothering you and doesn't go away, you might talk to your doctor about it, they can probably recommend a medication like a decongestant that could help clear it up faster. 

It's day 3 for me! I haven't had much of the hangover this time, but I think that's because I hadn't gone back to snacking on sugary things *too* often. I had some cravings for fast food/take out on Friday evening, so that just showed me that I had started to let some bad habits come sneaking back in. Glad I'm here doing this reset. My run went well on Saturday morning, so I'm hoping next Saturday I'll still be OK for my first 5k! I don't think I lost  my fat adaptation from last round, which is the switch that can make running and exercising hard through the 2nd week of the program.

I've got a bunch of cooking to do today. I'm thinking Paleo Egg Roll in a Bowl, some turkey burgers, some protein salad with the chicken I just made in the pressure cooker and then a big hearty stew of some sort. Oh, and some breakfast food. I need more eggs and possibly more ground pork. I also want to try making some Whole30 ketchup and potentially some other sauces, if I have energy.

How is everyone else doing? I hope everyone else is having a great weekend! Anyone have any new or favorite recipes they're trying?

Hi everyone, jumping in here, started my third W30 on Sept 1.  Like many "repeaters," I am pushing the reset button because I have let many of those bad habits and excuses creep back in.  I am 61 years old, and fighting chronic inflammation.  Cranky knees, slow thyroid, etc.  My husband did the first 2 with me, which was very helpful.  He doesn't feel the need to do this one, but since I do 90% of the cooking and food shopping, he is coming along for the ride.  He absolutely doesn't mind and he knows he can't bring home a giant hunk of cheese! 

Since we aren't going out of town this holiday weekend, I have the opportunity to do some cooking and food prep.  Yesterday I made chicken mole in the crockpot.  Today I am thinking salmon cakes.  Here's the recipe I like:  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/ (p.s. I absolutely love Mel Joulwan's  Well Fed cookbooks!). 

I also have Pinterest boards, this one is for recipes I have tried and plan to make again! https://www.pinterest.com/vergenceranges/make-this-again/  They are mostly but not all W30 (ignore mac and cheese down at the bottom). 

We are going to a potluck picnic tomorrow.  Thinking cucumber salad... but I also know I have to be prepared to feed myself since I probably won't be able to eat most of what my friends bring to share.  ^_^ 

Archived