#SeptemberWhole30

alisonmae

• Moderators
19 hours ago, srohe said:

Hey guys! For everyone who started on the 1st, I hope it's going well. 

Quick question.. whats the most polite way to turn down food? I just started working at a bakery and my boss/coworkers will offer me day olds or food that isn't aesthetically perfect enough to sell to customers... My boss even offered to buy me lunch yesterday :unsure: I feel bad for turning every one down but I don't want to fail...

How about just tell him that you're doing an elimination diet to see how food affects you and one of the big things you have to avoid is grains and that you appreciate the offer (assuming you do) but you don't want the amazing food to go to waste so you'll politely decline.  Don't beat around the bush, just be polite and firm about it.  And if he keeps offering daily, tell him that you again appreciate the offer but you're going to say no for the next 30 days and you'd be happy to use a roll or other day old item on day 31 to test grains but could he please stop asking because youre going to keep saying no and you don't want to fail so he can help you be successful by stopping offering.

And to put it in perspective for when days get hard (cause they will), your health is worth more than a day old roll... you sell them for what, 95 cents?  Half price for day old would be 50 cents... on that hard day, please don't sell out your health for 50 cents ;)  

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm technically starting today, instead of September 1st, but I'm looking for people to chat with! My Whole30 will be from Sept. 3rd-Oct. 2nd, just in time for my birthday weekend!

This is a restart for me. I attempted my first Whole30 on August 12th. One week in I forgot what I was doing and absentmindedly ate a small muffin... so originally I was going to add 7 extra days to my Whole30, but then 3 weeks in I ate some cashews with peanut oil (didn't read the label first, learned my lesson!), so I realized I just need to start over, give my best effort, and see this through. I'm not disappointed in starting over because I'm happy with my results so far and I'm excited to see what the next 30 days have in store.

Cheers everyone!

- Catalina

Hi all, I'm starting my 2nd round tomorrow. I did my 1st round a few months ago due to chronic IBS. I had some benefits like sleeping better, strong nails etc but not much relief from my stomach issues so switched to the low FODMAP version for the last 10 days which gave some relief. So this time I'm doing completely low FODMAP and am hoping for some tiger blood this time :)

Super excited to be starting again as the food freedom was the biggest benefit I got and I've slightly fallen off the wagon lately.

Hope you're all getting on well whatever day you are on!

36 minutes ago, Aurora Blue said:

Hi all, I'm starting my 2nd round tomorrow. I did my 1st round a few months ago due to chronic IBS. I had some benefits like sleeping better, strong nails etc but not much relief from my stomach issues so switched to the low FODMAP version for the last 10 days which gave some relief. So this time I'm doing completely low FODMAP and am hoping for some tiger blood this time :)

Super excited to be starting again as the food freedom was the biggest benefit I got and I've slightly fallen off the wagon lately.

Hope you're all getting on well whatever day you are on!

Welcome, Aurora Blue. I will be interested to see your results with the low FODMAP version...my husband has the same condition and he is so skeptical of how much Whole 30 will help. Please keep posting here!!

Hello, everyone!

I'm on Day 3 and feeling good. The headaches are gone and energy is up so I'm really enthusiastic about this plan. I do have a question regarding fat at each meal. I feel like I'm eating too much and would like some advice.  My typical breakfast has been 2 eggs scrambled with diced peppers, onions and spinach in a Tablespoon or 2 of clarified butter. Then I'll also have some berries and 1/2 a sliced avocado. It's a lot of food, but it holds me over until lunch perfectly. Should I be eating clarified butter and the avocado or just one of those? Thanks so much for your help and good luck to everyone!

@stacie66 Happy to hear you're feeling good! I'm sure a mod will jump in and confirm, but I don't think cooking fat counts as a fat in a meal, so you're doing the right thing in adding the avocado.

Just as a side note: Your breakfast may be a little short on protein...when eggs are your only source of protein, a serving is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping them. Usually 3-4 is the minimum for most people. 

Good luck and hope things keep going well!

Question for the mods/Whole30-experienced members: I'm trying to eat my breakfast this morning - 3 eggs + a compliant aidelles chicken sausage link and a sauteed veggie mix. I cannot finish, which is unusual for me. I'm a big breakfast eater, but today I still have an egg, 1/4 of the sausage, and about half the veggies left. What's even stranger is that I swear I've been under-eating the past 2 days, so I expected to be extra hungry this morning. I know I often get nauseated if I under-eat for a day or two, so can under-eating cause lack of appetite too? I'm kind of baffled.

Hello everyone.  I'm in for a September reset.  I've done multiple Whole30s over the past few years...my last one in July.  I started on the 1st so today is Day 4 for me.  I'm pretty good at managing my food freedom, but found my food freedom was including more ice cream than my skin cared for (dairy makes me break out) and then started craving.....sour patch watermelons.  It's an addiction that I don't entirely understand, but when I start craving them and giving in more than once a week I know I'm heading to a place that's not good for me.  Excessive sugar makes me feel depressed and anxious and those feelings were creeping back in so I'm in for September.  I don't have any weight to lose; it's purely emotional for me.  

I did read through the whole thread and will respond to a few posts here:

On 8/27/2017 at 1:04 PM, LydiaJo said:

Question: I am rereading  It Starts With Food. Is it of value to read all of the books?

I love the books and love Melissa & Doug's and then Melissa's style of writing.  I have read It Starts With Food cover to cover twice and go back and re-read sections when I need reinforcement.  Having knowledge about what and why I'm doing something fuels me.  I have all of the books and ISWF is my favorite.  But..... the Skillet Mushroom & Greens on page 247 of the Whole30 Cookbook is amazing and delicious for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, alexamassie said:

also!!! CHOMPS sticks were/are such a staple for me on a whole30 and they were awesome enough to give me a discount code for everyone for 10% off so if you need to order some for emergencies (chomps.com) you can enter ALEXAMASSIE at checkout :)

OH WOW! I love CHOMPS, too!  

On 9/2/2017 at 5:01 PM, Ivetakoov said:

Hello there! I started on Friday 1st September too (my very first whole30). But I have a question. Sice I started I have some uncomfortable feeling in my throat like a liquid is there. I have searched through the internet and found a issue called "post-nasal drio" and I think this is the one I have right now. Before starting the whole I had nothing like that not even digestive problems at all.... I had this "liquid feeling" back in 2013 after appendectomy.... It is now jist detox? Or Am I doing anything bad? I dont think I eat something more different that I was eating before W30 (ok I am not eating sweets, grains, milk now)... Any advice would be helpfull 

This sounds like it could be acid reflux.  Have you ever had this before?  It could be due to the diet changes.  I would think it should get better as time goes on and your stomach is able to manage your new diet.  There are some natural and compliant remedies for heartburn....you could try plain baking soda instead of Tums and see if that gives you any relief.  Check with your provider if it doesn't get better.

13 hours ago, stacie66 said:

My typical breakfast has been 2 eggs scrambled with diced peppers, onions and spinach in a Tablespoon or 2 of clarified butter. Then I'll also have some berries and 1/2 a sliced avocado. It's a lot of food, but it holds me over until lunch perfectly. Should I be eating clarified butter and the avocado or just one of those? Thanks so much for your help and good luck to everyone!

If it holds you over until lunch perfectly then don't change a thing! :)

11 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Question for the mods/Whole30-experienced members: I'm trying to eat my breakfast this morning - 3 eggs + a compliant aidelles chicken sausage link and a sauteed veggie mix. I cannot finish, which is unusual for me. I'm a big breakfast eater, but today I still have an egg, 1/4 of the sausage, and about half the veggies left. What's even stranger is that I swear I've been under-eating the past 2 days, so I expected to be extra hungry this morning. I know I often get nauseated if I under-eat for a day or two, so can under-eating cause lack of appetite too? I'm kind of baffled.

This has happened to me before.  I just save my leftovers and eat them for a snack later or add them to my lunch.  If you didn't have an appetite for any breakfast, I'd say "force yourself to eat something", but in your case, you've eaten a template meal even without your additional egg and 1/4 sausage. 

I hope this didn't happen to anyone else, but I was traveling over the holiday weekend for a family wedding and ended up getting sick on Friday night. In addition the wedding (very simple/casual) was only serving BBQ and mac-n-cheese! I was unprepared to bring my own food since I was out of town, and ended up crashing and burning. I'm starting over today with renewed excitement despite the lingering cold! Keep up the good work all!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Yes, undereating can cause lack of appetite and then lack of appetite causes undereating... it's a cycle that you definitely want to break as soon as possible.  If what you plated up for your breakfast is what you normally have no trouble eating, my suggestion would be to do what we tell people learning to eat breakfast to do... eat as much as you can and then wrap it up and eat from it as soon as you feel able to keep it down... The only other thing I would ask is if you ate a ton of fat at the outset of your meal?  Like did you put down a whole avocado first and then you couldn't finish?  If that's the case then a look at the composition of the plate might be in order but 'knowing' you, I kind of doubt you did that... 

Hi all!  Is anyone having any negative symptoms this early in the game?  I know it can be normal but I'm only on day 3 and have felt icky since late morning.  My stomach feels sick and my body HURTS.  I was a bit surprised since I ate fairly healthy before, no gluten for almost 2 years and moderate cheese and grain eater.  I feel awful! I hope this phase passes soon!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MegMags said:

Hi all!  Is anyone having any negative symptoms this early in the game?  I know it can be normal but I'm only on day 3 and have felt icky since late morning.  My stomach feels sick and my body HURTS.  I was a bit surprised since I ate fairly healthy before, no gluten for almost 2 years and moderate cheese and grain eater.  I feel awful! I hope this phase passes soon!!

This doesn't really sound typical. Some digestive issues are to be expected when you make changes to your diet, but sick and achy sounds like you might have picked up some kind of stomach bug.

Try to keep your food fairly bland and easy to digest -- things like chicken breast, mashed potato or sweet potato with a little ghee or oil, some broth or soup, maybe some scrambled eggs. Peppermint or ginger teas can help with nausea and stomach issues. Drink plenty of water, get some rest, and if it doesn't clear up on its own in a day or two, you might want to check with your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi all,

Would love to be part of this September thread.  Am starting day 1 today (after a small hiccup of starting on the first of Sept).  But I'm ready to go, all prepped with par cooked veges and baked cajun chicken  and looking forward to feeling better.  Have really enjoyed reading through the comments.  Some lovely people here.  :)

Hey all.  Happy Day 5 for me.  I spent some extra time cooking yesterday and made quite the feast for Labor Day dinner....Burgers with sauteed leeks, Spinach, Shallot & Mushroom Saute, Sweet Potato Bites http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/roasted-herb-sweet-potato-bites/ and an amazing wedge salad with crumbled bacon and dill dressing.  Today will be another big cooking day for me.  I'm making the slow cooker meaty marinara sauce that was on the instagram feed (I'll post if I like it), salmon cakes  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/, and some ground beef for "taco" salad.  Then I'm back to work on Wednesday and Thursday.  I don't cook on work days because I leave the house at 6am and get home at 8:30pm so everything needs to be prepared ahead of time.  

Have a great day.

17 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Yes, undereating can cause lack of appetite and then lack of appetite causes undereating... it's a cycle that you definitely want to break as soon as possible.  If what you plated up for your breakfast is what you normally have no trouble eating, my suggestion would be to do what we tell people learning to eat breakfast to do... eat as much as you can and then wrap it up and eat from it as soon as you feel able to keep it down... The only other thing I would ask is if you ate a ton of fat at the outset of your meal?  Like did you put down a whole avocado first and then you couldn't finish?  If that's the case then a look at the composition of the plate might be in order but 'knowing' you, I kind of doubt you did that... 

Thanks! I allowed myself some extra food last night, including TWO fat sources (avocado and mayo! YUM) and did a little better about getting in pre/post WO snacks. I ate all my food yesterday at my other meals yesterday except for about 1/2 the avocado, but I figured a full avocado plus the rest of the food was a bit ambitious. :) 

I'm not sure if this is a normal amount of food for me. This is the first time I've tried this combination. I normally eat 3-4 eggs when they're my only protein source or 2 eggs + ~1/4 lb ground pork. The sausages aren't quite a 1/4 lb and definitely aren't a full palm worth of protein, so I figured I'd need the extra egg to match my other meals. Maybe this is just too much for me? I'm trying to eat the same thing today and don't think I'm going to be able to finish again.

I might have to try banning coffee if this keeps up. I didn't drink coffee for most of my last Whole30, but picked the habit back up pretty quickly when I went on a work trip and they were handing out free coffee. I also may have picked up some other bad habits over the weekend, including not eating within an hour of waking because I had to make most of my breakfasts fresh in the mornings, so it's possible some things got out of whack. 

Hello, All!  

I'm on Day 5 and had a quick question. Went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up a couple of RX Bars to keep in my purse and car, just in case of emergency. As far as I can tell they are compliant with the program. Can anyone confirm and if so, how are they? Thanks :)

14 hours ago, MegMags said:

I've heard the hangover phase get called "carb flu" before, so it may not be out of the realm of possibility that these symptoms are Whole30-related, but it doesn't sound like you were an ice cream, candy, or soda binge eater before (which is when I would expect the more extreme symptoms to manifest). Hopefully it's just a bug that gets worked out quickly!

One question: are you eating enough and following the template? I know if I don't eat enough for a few days, I'll feel downright miserable. If you'd like, list out a few days worth of food and portion sizes (like how many palms of protein, number of eggs, how much fat, etc.) and one of us or the mods may be able to give you some insight. :) 

48 minutes ago, snowflower said:

Hey all.  Happy Day 5 for me.  I spent some extra time cooking yesterday and made quite the feast for Labor Day dinner....Burgers with sauteed leeks, Spinach, Shallot & Mushroom Saute, Sweet Potato Bites http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/roasted-herb-sweet-potato-bites/ and an amazing wedge salad with crumbled bacon and dill dressing.  Today will be another big cooking day for me.  I'm making the slow cooker meaty marinara sauce that was on the instagram feed (I'll post if I like it), salmon cakes  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/, and some ground beef for "taco" salad.  Then I'm back to work on Wednesday and Thursday.  I don't cook on work days because I leave the house at 6am and get home at 8:30pm so everything needs to be prepared ahead of time.  

Have a great day.

Sounds like you made some great food! I am going to have to try those salmon cakes one of these days. I'm pretty sure they've been recommended at least 3 times by different people, so I have to take all these recommendations seriously! :) 

I've also been trying to do big cook ups during the weekends so that I don't have to cook during the week. My days aren't quite as long as yours, but they can definitely be tough and cooking after work usually leads me to stay up an hour or two after my normal bedtime. 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:11 AM, Lauraelizabeth said:

Hi all!  I'm planning a September 4 start date as well and am thankful I found this forum just in time for the support and accountability. I lost a lot of weight 6 years ago by counting calories and working out well, but I've slowly dropped all the good habits and my weight has crept up and my health has declined. I had my first baby in April of this year so I'm wanting to be healthier for myself, but also want to get rid of some bad food habits before we start introducing him to food. So I figured now is a good time to do a whole30 and focus on my health and diet. I've got a freezer stocked with lots of meat and vegetable options and a meal plan ready for week one!  

Hey Laura!  

I had my daughter in March.  I'm hoping I still get the increase in energy I got last time even with more interrupted sleep!

Good luck, the extra motivation of being a good example will help :) 

Good morning everyone!

I'm on day 2 (started September 4th) and am feeling pretty good.  Used my day off yesterday to prep my breakfasts and lunches for the week.  I made Paleomg's buffalo chicken soup, a veggie frittata, baked some compliant sausage and sweet potatoes and made guacamole.  Since I'm nursing, I need to eat 4 meals a day.  I plan on eating three at work and then eating dinner at home.  I already feel so accomplished for the week!  Here's hoping my "hang over" isn't too bad the next few days.

Hope everyone is hanging in there

38 minutes ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Sounds like you made some great food! I am going to have to try those salmon cakes one of these days. I'm pretty sure they've been recommended at least 3 times by different people, so I have to take all these recommendations seriously! :) 

I double the recipe and freeze them.  They are so good to have on hand for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.  

Have you ever used canned salmon for anything?  If not.....warning....it's pretty nasty.  I take the spinal bones out (and give them to my dog), but they are totally edible and I have left them in the cakes before, but didn't care for the extra crunch.  I leave in the little rib bones because it's too time consuming to try to dig those out.  I also peel away the dark skin and give that to my dog too.  I don't like the color or the texture.  You should definitely make these...they will become a staple.

Archived