#SeptemberWhole30

alisonmae

On 9/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Welcome! I love your attitude and I'm so glad you've come here and made a commitment to your health by joining in with us. I'm too tired to look up specific websites, but I love Stupid Easy Paleo, Nom Nom Paleo, and Mel Joulwan of the Well Fed cookbooks (I've heard great things about her cookbooks, but I haven't tried one yet).

Her cookbooks are the BEST in my opinion.  So many of the things I've tried have become staples that I make over and over again.  I have all 3 and have regulars from each of them.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first Whole30 and its at the end of Day 3 for me! I started September 4th. I've been traveling for work this week which hasn't proved as challenging as I thought it would be. Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Chipotle are a lifesaver, I asked for a hotel with a fridge and microwave, and I actually found a Paleo meal prep place for take out meals by searching Paleo on Yelp, even in pretty remote Bakersfield, CA! 

Only going into Day 4 so far but I'm learning prep is definitely key and visualizing where you are going to eat while you travel or else it's too stressful. 

No cravings yet, just a little foggy today. Onward!

6 hours ago, mvonhoff said:

.....even in pretty remote Bakersfield, CA! 

California is a glorious place to be when you're doing Whole30. :)

People.  Restaurant menus & servers.  Grocery stores.  They are way ahead of the rest of the country as far as food and nutrition (and accommodating those of us on Whoel30).  

People...I told you all I'd report back on the meaty marinara sauce that was posted on instagram.....IT WAS A SUCCESS!  The whole family loved it.  And leftovers have been even more delicious than the first day!  Here's the post if you're interested.

8 hours ago, snowflower said:

Her cookbooks are the BEST in my opinion.  So many of the things I've tried have become staples that I make over and over again.  I have all 3 and have regulars from each of them.

Thanks! Do you have a favorite? I may order one for myself next week as a "I made it halfway!" present. 

23 hours ago, srdamore14 said:

I'm still battling a cold that I acquired while traveling over Labor Day. I woke up this morning with a head cold that turned into a chest cold. I really wanted to ditch my pre-cooked frittata this morning for one of my husband's bagels (frozen, not even fresh from the bakery!). Reading the posts that came in over night helped me keep perspective! I may feel physically bad at the moment but mentally I feel great! Thanks for setting an example. 

I got sick during my 1st whole30 too. It was such a bummer. :( I made lots of tea, soup, and added coconut oil after hearing that it helps with recovery from being sick. 

@hefreeman So glad you pulled through! We CAN do this!

I had a better day yesterday. I stayed home and worked on some writing and data analysis. My GI issues seem to be getting better, but I was definitely not prepared to go through all that discomfort during the first 7 days. I'm loving having all my food prepped and ready to heat up, although I did have to make breakfast this morning, but eggs are so much better freshly cooked that it was worth it. I even managed to finish all 3 eggs, but I didn't add an extra protein source, so we'll see if I get hungry earlier than normal. Thinking about my breakfast though, crap, I still need to add a fat! I meant to add my avocado and forgot! :wacko:

Anyway, happy day 7 or whatever day you're on!

Hello everyone! I am on Day 5. Emotionally I feel good but physically I feel under the weather. It's back-to-school season and there is a lot of wildfire smoke blowing in from the eastern part of the state so that's probably what's going on. Congratulations to everyone who's made it through the 1st week!

Day 4 here of my first Whole 30 attempt - also an Alison with one "L" :) 

Yesterday was a headache and today it's headache and fogginess. Hoping to power through.

This weekend will be a major challenge - going to the Packer/Seahawks game with a vendor who has a tailgate with unlimited food and drink - most of which is off limits. Going to eat a large meal beforehand and bring snacks so I don't go face first into the nacho bar! 

Cheers to being 10% done! Good luck everyone!

Hi folks, doing well here on day 7, but today was a tough one.  My 87 year old mom lives in southern Florida, and my family spent the day figuring out how to evacuate her.  Could not find a flight that was not sold out. My son who lives in North Carolina flew down and is now driving her back to NC.  I am so blessed. 

Spent the entire day wound up into a ball of anxiety. I went to work but then turned around and came home.  Luckily, I had packed 2 meals for a long work day (work from 9-7:30).  I ate what I had packed. It was actually helpful to not have to think about preparing food.  If I walked into a supermarket, I would have headed straight to the ice cream or the oreos!  

Yesterday I cooked this whole roasted cauliflower.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/138166087728/whole-roasted-cauliflower  I also made the mustard vinaigrette to top it. Yumm!  Only problem, my husband dislikes anything cauliflower, so its up to me to eat the whole thing. 

I am starting to feel less fat. Not sure it is pounds lost or just less puffy, but definitely feel like my pants are not quite as tight.  And my cranky knee is less cranky. But I do feel a little sluggish.  Hoping that will pass soon.  

@Ali_in_WI Something I did during my last W30 when confronted with a vast array of noncompliant foods, was Shoot It Don't Eat It. I would take a picture and then post it on my Instagram acct.  

@Christel3M Hang in there, it will get better. 

@NoneOtherThanAmy I would go for Well Fed Weeknights if you feel pressed for time. Well Fed 2 if you have a little more time in the kitchen.  Many of the recipes are on her website, so you could start there and get a running start!

On 9/7/2017 at 5:58 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

Thanks! Do you have a favorite? I may order one for myself next week as a "I made it halfway!" present. 

I agree with @ShellyM and would go with Well Fed Weeknights.  AND definitely check out her website, there are so many great recipes from WF1 and WF2 on there!  Especially the Italian Roasted Pork Shoulder (I make this once a month at least) http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/

@ShellyM and to anyone else struggling with weather issues....hang in there and sending thoughts of love and safety your way.

One week down for me and it flew by with a busy week at work.  Have a great day everyone!

Hello, All,

Starting Day 8 and feeling good, but anxious.  Glad you were able to get your mother to safety @ShellyM!  I live in Jacksonville, FL and it looks like we are going to be hit by Irma as a Cat 2 hurricane.  I'm actually more concerned about sticking to this plan than I am about my house!  I've stocked up on everything I can think of and have plenty of meals prepared, but the thought of eating something comforting during this time has been tempting.

I went to the beach this morning to get a nice sunrise picture, but Mother Nature wasn't cooperating. Focusing on how good I've done this past week and looking at this entire weekend as a challenge.  If I can get through a hurricane and stay compliant, a dinner out with friends or family is nothing!  Have a great Friday!

2017-09-08 07.13.47.jpg

@ShellyM So glad your mother has been evacuated. That must be  huge weight off your mind. I could imagine a stressful event like that triggering some cravings for comfort food, so good job for staying on course! 

Thanks @ShellyM and @snowflower for the cookbook advice! I should be adding the weeknights cookbook to my library soon. :) 

@stacie66 Stay safe! I remember you saying you'd been out stocking up to survive the hurricane, but I didn't fully connect it with what was going on. I am VERY impressed with your resolve to stay compliant through the hurricane. Hope it isn't as bad as they're predicting!

@Ali_in_WI I am so jealous! I grew up in WI, so I'm a life-long Packers fan! I'd love to go see a game in person at Lambeau Field some day. Good luck getting through the game. I think your survival strategy sounds like a good one!

@Christel3M It'll get better soon, I promise! Sometimes it takes a while for our brains to adjust to the lack of comfort food, but hopefully you'll make some new habits while on the Whole30. I really thought I wasn't going to have a cranky day because I'd already gone through that with my first Whole30, but I was wrong. I've still got work to do on developing non-food coping mechanisms for stressful days and situations. :P 

Yesterday was a pretty good day for me. I dressed up a little and just felt good about myself all day. I put on a t-shirt that used to be very fitted before, but is now quite loose. I think I've gone down a shirt size in addition to going down 2-3 pants sizes since last April. 

My appetite is still a little funky. I'm having trouble eating protein in the morning, which is strange for me. But then I'll be starving at dinner and last night I swear I nearly ate 2 meals worth of protein. So strange...

@Ali_in_WI yay! Another Alison spelled the right way! (I also go by Ali!)

The carb flu hit me HARD the last few days! Days 3 and 4 saw headaches, body aches, fatigue, and very little appetite. For someone that suffers from migraines on the regular, it was a couple of brutal days! Even my Rx meds couldn't touch this headache that exploded into a migraine! It was so rough! Plus ALL THE CRAVINGS! UGGGGH I just want some cheese and cookies!

So, I redownloaded myfitnesspal to track my macronutrients and realized that (obviously) I haven't even been getting half my recommended daily carb intake, so I stayed home from work yesterday and rested and researched how to get more carbs into my diet. Enter my NEW FAVORITE SNACK: Banana, almond butter, coconut shavings! YUMMM-O!

Today, I woke up, only hit my snooze button twice (that's an improvement!), and got up feeling pretty good! I had enough time to walk down the street and grab a coffee before getting ready for work! I like to think my good feeling today is a small spark/teaser of what tiger blood will feel like further down the road!

Where has everyone been? Hopefully still alive and kickin'....

I'm making my grocery list now and plan on doing some cooking today.  I'm making:

egg roll in a bowl (I'll post my recipe in a separate post)

crockpot chili https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/slow-cooker-white-chicken-chili-sweet-potato-paleo-whole30/

and trying something new:  ribs in the instant pot with some broccoli slaw.  I'll post the recipes if I like them.

Have a great Sunday!

Snowflower's Eggroll in a Bowl  -- I've been making this for years.  It's a super easy one skillet meal and the leftovers taste great, too!  

1. 1 pound ground pork
  2. 1/2 yellow or white onion chopped
  3. 2 tsp sesame oil
  4. 3 cloves garlic
  5. 1 tsp ground ginger
  6. 1/4C coconut aminos
  7. splash of fish sauce
  8. 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  9. 1 package of precut coleslaw from Whole Foods (this has green and red cabbage and carrots and is probably around 6 Cups if you want to cut your own)
  10. 1/2 tsp salt
  11. 1/4 tsp pepper

Brown pork in a large saute pan until fully cooked.  Add chopped onion and sesame oil.  Cook until onions brown a bit.  Mix spices and coconut aminos in a small bowl and then add to pork mixture.  Add splash of fish sauce.  Stir.  Add cabbage mix and stir until cabbage has wilted a little bit.

1 hour ago, snowflower said:

Snowflower's Eggroll in a Bowl  -- I've been making this for years.  It's a super easy one skillet meal and the leftovers taste great, too!  

1. 1 pound ground pork
  2. 1/2 yellow or white onion chopped
  3. 2 tsp sesame oil
  4. 3 cloves garlic
  5. 1 tsp ground ginger
  6. 1/4C coconut aminos
  7. splash of fish sauce
  8. 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  9. 1 package of precut coleslaw from Whole Foods (this has green and red cabbage and carrots and is probably around 6 Cups if you want to cut your own)
  10. 1/2 tsp salt
  11. 1/4 tsp pepper

Brown pork in a large saute pan until fully cooked.  Add chopped onion and sesame oil.  Cook until onions brown a bit.  Mix spices and coconut aminos in a small bowl and then add to pork mixture.  Add splash of fish sauce.  Stir.  Add cabbage mix and stir until cabbage has wilted a little bit.

Thanks for this recipe! I have a bag of coleslaw mix in the fridge and all of the other ingredients, expect the pork, so I'll sub another protein.

Hurricane Irma is just starting to hit here, so probably won't be able to check this board for a few days. I'm on Day 10 and feeling great!  I was having dinner with my husband last night and he said, "You look different." I said, "Is that a compliment?" (Men :rolleyes:).  He then said, "You look younger."  Well holy crap...I'll take that compliment all day long, as I'm 51.

Hoping I don't lose power for too long, so I can stay compliant, but obviously that problem pales in comparison to what others are going through. Think we might be spared the worst of it here in Jacksonville, but I'm still nervous. Fortunately, there is no wine or brownies in the house. Hang tight, everyone!

Hi All! Busy weekend for me. I ran my first 5k on Saturday morning. It was tons of fun, but definitely exhausting. I treated myself to an easy lunch and a steak dinner that day so I didn't have to do too much cooking or prep. Sundays are usually my big cook up days, so today I'm working on making chili (Chipotle Turkey Chili from the Whole30recipes instagram feed). I'm thinking I may need to make some cauliflower rice to go with it though. I also made this twice-baked buffalo chicken + spaghetti squash recipe that is pretty good. I still have some ground pork to make. Maybe I'll do some kind of hash for breakfast. I've got some extra cooked chicken, so I'll be prepared for some pre-workout and post-workout meals this week.

@alisonmae The carb flu sucks! I hope you're feeling better soon. Definitely make sure you're including some starchy carbs every day (about a fist-sized portion daily) and the week before your period, add even more! I get super cranky and depressed when I haven't had enough.

@snowflower Your cooking day sounds amazing! I love egg roll in a bowl; I think I could make it weekly and never get sick of it. :) I made a pretty good broccoli slaw last weekend, but I just kind of winged the recipe, so if you like yours definitely post it!

@stacie66 Hope things are going as well as possible where you are! Stay safe and even if you can't remain compliant due to long power outages, hopefully that great compliment will make you to try again!

How is everyone doing?  I am now 10 days in; that's one third done!   Mostly feeling good, but still a little sluggish.  I am enjoying having my mom here, and certainly very relieved that we were able to get her out ahead of Hurricane Irma.  My mom is a tiny lady, and even though I was thinking "oh, need to buy more food!" it seems like she barely eats anything! She has been enjoying the meals I have been preparing.  Luckily I am not tempted by the cream cheese or Special K cereal she asked me to buy. 

For dinner yesterday, I made chicken breasts with scallion ginger pesto from Ready or Not, Michelle Tam's new cookbook (http://nomnompaleo.com/readyornotcookbook)  Wow!  it was and the leftovers still are delicious.  I blanched some green beans and made a mustard vinaigrette for them, and  added roasted sweet potatoes.   So good! 

Today I made a chimichurri sauce, coated some turkey cutlets and threw them on the grill.  I also baked some ripe plantains in their peels, peeled them, rolled them in a spice mix and threw those on the grill too.  Added a tossed salad.  Have lots of leftovers for the next couple of days.  

Chimichurri on a fried egg is eggselent! 

@snowflower I can't wait to make egg roll in a bowl! 

@stacie66 Hope Irma runs out of steam before you do!  Sounds like the east coast dodged the bullet. 

@alisonmae How are you feeling? The carb flu is rough, hope you are getting past that phase.  

How are coffee people doing?  I have been using nutpods and even starting to like it. I ordered a 4-pack of regular and the pumpkin spice flavor today. Might as well live dangerously. I also make sun tea often.  

Hope everyone has a good week ahead.

Hi all, 

we're getting lots of news about hurricane Irma in Oz atm so just letting you know we're thinking of you all and sending prayers across the way.  

I seem to be struggling with motivation this time round with W30 so am currently trying to figure out a way forward.  :huh: I'll keep going atm but am considering doing a lifestyle thing of W30 eating all week and having one non- compliant meal on Sunday nights.  It's family night for us and I really am thinking I want to kick back and just enjoy the night with family...but I also love how I am when eating W30.  Maybe I want to have my cake and eat it too but I'm flailing a little.  Any suggestions welcome. 

Also I'm loving all the recipes on here!  So I intend to get cooking.  Can't wait to try Snowflakes Eggroll in a bowl cos I live of the precut coleslaw - even fry it up to go in my morning omelette sometimes. 

Love hearing all of the meal prep! Due to the start of football season I had to start prep Friday night and over Saturday afternoon and a bit Sunday morning. I cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot and turned half into chicken chili. The other half will be a Thai coconut soup from the Whole30 cookbook. I'll freeze a serving or two of each and have it next week. I also roasted some sweet potatoes and made a few sauces to have on hand through the week from NomNom Paleo's new cookbook. I also started using Nut Pods for the first time this weekend and I've really been missing out! I tried the hazelnut flavor and ordered some pumpkin spice on amazon. I have come to like my coffee black but this is a nice treat! Good luck to everyone this week!

I hope all the folks in Florida are holding up well. Good luck and stay safe!

Hello everyone! 

Sorry for the silence! I tend to not check my emails over the weekend. I have a desk job, so I'll skim emails over the weekend for anything pressing or life altering, but other than that, I try to stay away from computers. (Also, my work email is connected to my phone, so if I avoid my personal email, I also avoid my work email...it's kind of a win! haha)

I use Nutpods in my coffee and it's at least getting me through. My friend got to try the pumpkin spice flavor just before the officially released it (as a brand ambassador) and she LOVED it. She said it wasn't as sweet as the French Vanilla one (which I don't think is sweet anyway), but has more of a spicy bite to it. Another compliant creamer I found this weekend is Califia Farms Better Half. It's Coconut based and I think adds a bit richer of a flavor to my coffee than Nutpods does.

@NoneOtherThanAmy and @ShellyM, thanks for the well wishes! I was feeling way better Friday and into the weekend. I KILLED a workout on Friday night that left me so excited. And then woke up today with a headache and my muscles ache like I have the flu...is it possible for the carb flu to swing back around for another hit? I felt like I was doing way better with my diet, adding in more carbs, etc. But I feel absolutely miserable today and slept so poorly last night. I even had dreams about accidentally eating non-compliant food last night! 

Day 8 for me and I just want to crawl back into bed and sleep forever. :unsure:

Archived