Sardines

indigo73

With the passing of Superstorm Sandy, I have been giving some thought to canned foods that I haven't considered before. I know I do not like canned salmon, especially the kind with skin and bones. Probably way too spoiled on fresh salmon. We have it at least once a week.

And while I don't mind canned tuna and chicken, it can get old fast... so I was contemplating sardines.

If I've ever had them before, I was young. But how do you eat them?

Do you have a favorite recipe or concoction?

I like the skinless, boneless ones (Amazon has the best prices that I've found). The ones with bones gross me out. I just open a tin, pour off the excess liquid, squeeze some lemon juice and eat straight. My 7-year old daughter likes them without lemon.

I may have to try the hot sauce idea, that sounds fantastic!

I had some for breakfast this morning! I just eat them straight from the tin, cold. I buy mine packed in olive oil. (Be sure to read the side of the can.) They make a terrific break from eggs.

I also love kippers. I eat those straight, too.

I lived in England (Yorkshire) for over a year. I heard about these kippers, but never had them. What are they?

I tried my first sardine over the summer at an expo for a marathon. They share them in what they called 'the power lunch'. Sardines and sliced avocado drizzled with lemon and hot sauce. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! While all my friends were sampling granola bars, I kept going back to the sardines lady. ;)

The brand was Wild Planet and they were the variety that comes packed in olive oil. Delicious!

I lived in England (Yorkshire) for over a year. I heard about these kippers, but never had them. What are they?

A kipper is a herring that's been split down the back and smoked usually over oak chips. We used to get them as a breakfast treat. My mother would fill a jug with boiling water, stick the kippers in it to heat up, while she made scarmbled egg. the two together were heavenly. I think in those days i probably had buttered toast with them but who needs that.

Apparantly they're making a comeback according to this article which also shows pictures of them

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/07/food-kippers-smoked-fish-sales-revival

I must admit this thread is making me hungry. Good job it's about healthy food :)

A kipper is a herring that's been split down the back and smoked usually over oak chips. We used to get them as a breakfast treat. My mother would fill a jug with boiling water, stick the kippers in it to heat up, while she made scarmbled egg. the two together were heavenly. I think in those days i probably had buttered toast with them but who needs that.

Apparantly they're making a comeback according to this article which also shows pictures of them

http://www.guardian....h-sales-revival

I must admit this thread is making me hungry. Good job it's about healthy food :)

Oh, Kirsteen, I do remember kippers. They are a very dark golden brown. I was only 18 when I lived there, so I don't think I ever tried them. Smoked fish used to gross me out because of all the fresh fish I was raised on in San Diego. :)

Edit to add: Yes, I just clicked on your link and I remember those in the meat cases at the grocery store we went to in Harrogate.

• 4 months later...

I just opened my first can of sardines and felt compelled to skin them and remove the backbones. I left the smaller bones. I wasn't sure how to eat them? I love canned tuna and salmon, but the sardines didn't immediately appeal. I think I'm going to mix it with salmon and fry up some patties.

I just opened my first can of sardines and felt compelled to skin them and remove the backbones. I left the smaller bones. I wasn't sure how to eat them? I love canned tuna and salmon, but the sardines didn't immediately appeal. I think I'm going to mix it with salmon and fry up some patties.

Please eat the bones! Sardines are a great source of calcium. When you skip the bones, you skip the calcium! Plus, you don't even notice them!

Oh boy, there are a million ways to eat them!

- From the can (forever best method in my book) and fried as Moluv said.

- I like making pate. No need to skin or debone them as they are soft enough to be blended. Add whatever extras you want. I like smoked paprika, thyme, lemon juice/zest, chives, tomato paste, ghee/coconut oil, onions (bonus caramelized mnom). Spread on lettuce and roll or scoop into bok choy boat.

- Fisherman's eggs Heat the oven to 500°F and preheat an ovenproof dish for five minutes. Place a can of sardines, sliced shallot, chopped parsley and two cloves of finely chopped garlic in the warm dish. Add some black pepper and put the dish back in the oven for six minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, break eggs on top of the sardine mixture. Season with salt and pepper and put the dish back in the oven for seven minutes, until the egg whites are cooked but still jiggly. Remove the dish and let it sit for five minutes. Eat with hot sauce.

- Fritters. Mix together two tins of sardines, two eggs, two cloves of finely chopped garlic, a chopped quarter-bunch of parsley, maybe some coconut flour if it's too runny. Make small balls of the sardine mixture and fry until golden brown. Bonus for post whole30 ppl - sriracha sauce.

- Sardine cakes. Slight variation on the previous one. Make paste with whatever herbs you want (lemon peel, dill, spring onions and garlic goes well for these). Beat eggs - dip - dust with coconut/almond flour and fry it up!

- Salad. They make a beautiful combination with red onions, bell peppers and arugula.

They are super good for you and so cheap. Ask Portuguese friends or look up Portuguese cooking books for more.

They eat them dipped in ketchup (not w30 compliant, one of their "splurges") or mayo.

You can make own compliant ketchup! Johnny's recipe is pretty good!

Archived