Hello all 

I'm at the end of day 5 and am struggling so bad. I'm so tired and achy. My tummy is extremely upset with IBS and I've had constant diarrhoea and nausea. I just can't face food at all and am giving half my meals away. 

I have Autoimmune problems so not sure if also flaring which is exacerbating things.

I realised at first it was probably that I had upped my fruit, especially to quell sugar cravings so I've cut it out. I thought I was winning then tonight it's been so bad again. I have a sneaky suspicion I have an intolerance of eggs.

I really don't want to give up and most of the time am ok. Help me please with things to try and protein sources.

vicki 

We could give you more feedback if we knew specifically what you were eating -- there are things (like eggs, for one) that are okay on whole30 but do cause issues for a lot of people. Are you eating something completely new to you? Or are you eating a lot more of something than you usually have in the past? If you list a day or two of meals, including specific vegetables, we can take a look and see if anything stands out.

As for protein sources,  chicken, beef, lamb, duck, fish, shellfish -- whatever meat is available to you would be fine. 

I'm on day 18 now. The first week or so was awful for me.  I figured it was my body's way of detoxing the sugar and crap that I had put in it.  I had headaches, stomach aches and diarrhea.  I didn't want to eat anything but crackers and bread which of course were out of the question.  I started eating some more potato and sweet potato and that seemed to help.  I got over the hump and have felt great every since! Good luck!

Hi Shannon 

On 26/08/2017 at 3:27 AM, ShannonM816 said:

We could give you more feedback if we knew specifically what you were eating -- there are things (like eggs, for one) that are okay on whole30 but do cause issues for a lot of people. Are you eating something completely new to you? Or are you eating a lot more of something than you usually have in the past? If you list a day or two of meals, including specific vegetables, we can take a look and see if anything stands out.

As for protein sources,  chicken, beef, lamb, duck, fish, shellfish -- whatever meat is available to you would be fine. 

Thanks for replying I appreciate you getting back to me. 

Can I just begin by mentioning this is  the vegetarian part of the forum, I'm not sure if it's whole 30s underlying mission to convert vegetarians to eating meat, but I am not interested in eating the protein sources you have mentioned. That's my choice and I am not going to change it. I've posted here to ask about VEGETARIAN protein sources. I've seen on a number of posts that people are told to eat meat and fish and that's not why I'm here. 

I would love love some advice on diet though so appreciate you taking the time to reply.

You asked about diet

typical breakfasts have been: Carrot, potato and onion latkas with avocado and fried egg/ tortilla patatas and spinach/ smoothie bowl with coconut cream and almond milk and seeds

lunches : baked potato with slaw and salad / potato salad and green salad with olives / leftovers from dinners

dinners: Thai veg curry with cauliflower rice and cashews/ veggie shepherds pie with veg stock, potato and sweet potato mash and steamed veg/ leek and potato soup/ tortilla patatas/ roasted vegetables

snacks have been soda water/ almond latte/ teas / nakd bar and fruit

Okay so you're willing to eat eggs... eggs when they are the sole source of protein in a meal should be as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people thats 3-4.  it IS possible to do an entire Whole30 with eggs as protein, we had someone last year do it and keep a log altho I'll have to ask another mod to find it because I wasn't involved in that.  Are you feeling better than when you first posted and are you continuing to eat the eggs?  If you think they're problematic, then definitely take them out for a few days and see how you go.

The thing about the vegetarian Whole30 is that while there are other sources of protein you can have, all the other rules and recommendations apply so you'd want to ditch the smoothie bowl... your latkas and fried eggs with avocado is a great meal!

I see that starchy veg takes a starring role in a lot of your meals; I"m not a vegetarian so I don't know if this is common among vegetarians but we want you to eat a plate full of veggies and starches are to start with one fist sized serving a day and then move up or down depending on how active you are, how much weight you have to lose etc... 

As far as protein sources, there are many... we suggest that if you don't want to do it with strictly eggs, that you prioritize pastured, fermented and organic things such as yogurt or kefir.  If you want to do soy, you can do tempeh, natto, extra firm tofu - stay away from the overly processed 'soy burgers' and other fake meat type experiments.

Here's an article about the Whole30 done as a vegetarian.  Please read it knowing that some people choose to be vegetarian or vegan for various reasons so all the options are given in the article including how to choose ethical meat, should someone want to go down that road.  It doesn't say you have to, so take what's applicable and leave the rest - near the bottom is the recommendations on protein.  https://whole30.com/2015/06/veg-whole30/

Once you decide what you want your protein to be and how much you'll rely on eggs etc... make sure you're making all your meals to match the template and leave the nakd bars and other Whole30 'snacks' for emergencies just like in the regular program :)

Does that help?

Also, as a side note, I can bet 100% that Shannon did not notice this was the Veg section of the forum and did not mean to suggest you change your values to fit the program.  The Veg section is not very active and when it comes up on our feeds sometimes we don't look at the headings... it's happened to all of us mods and it's not intentional put downs or ignorance, just a mistake :)  

Thanks you so much for all the advice. It's really detailed and super helpful.

I just wanted to highlight the meat thing as I've read it on other posts and I defo don't want to eat it. I don't actually even like meat and haven't since a child.

The starch has become a feature since feeling so rotten. For the last couple of days it's upped as I wasn't eating anything and almost fainted. This is when I also had a nakd bar just to get me home. I just needed really plain and easy food to settle my tummy and it's worked. Im going to ease down on it

Tomorrow at plan is devilled eggs and left over soup for breakfast. Sweet potato cakes for lunch in tomato sauce. Then cauliflower egg fried 'rice' and veggies for dinner. I may ass a little tofu in to it.

When you mention that yoghurt what kind do you mean? I've had coconut yoghurt is that ok? What's kefir?

Vicki

18 minutes ago, Spoonmoonwolf said:

Thanks you so much for all the advice. It's really detailed and super helpful.

I just wanted to highlight the meat thing as I've read it on other posts and I defo don't want to eat it. I don't actually even like meat and haven't since a child.

The starch has become a feature since feeling so rotten. For the last couple of days it's upped as I wasn't eating anything and almost fainted. This is when I also had a nakd bar just to get me home. I just needed really plain and easy food to settle my tummy and it's worked. Im going to ease down on it

Tomorrow at plan is devilled eggs and left over soup for breakfast. Sweet potato cakes for lunch in tomato sauce. Then cauliflower egg fried 'rice' and veggies for dinner. I may ass a little tofu in to it.

When you mention that yoghurt what kind do you mean? I've had coconut yoghurt is that ok? What's kefir?

Vicki

You would want to make sure that if you're having yogurt, it's not got sugar or carageenan or other off plan foods in it.  Kefir is a fermented dairy product - google can tell you more about than I can as I'm not a dairy consumer.  Coconut yogurt wouldnt really be a suitable choice because it's made with coconut (no protein) not dairy (protein) so there would be not much point in eating it.

Don't forget to put protein in every meal, your lunch is missing it for tomorrow.  As many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping or 1-2 palms of another protein or a mixture.  Your body needs protein :)

One thing that stuck out to me in your first description of your meals was "cashew". I found out during my first whole30 that cashews are a HUGE problem for me. Painful bloating, nausea, etc. I'd had the symptoms before but never pinned it to cashews until cleaning up the rest of my diet. I'm not suggesting that your issue is from them, just that any little thing can trigger you. I've heard of several people with egg issues but usually only after eating them for weeks or months (had a vegetarian cousin go paleo and develop a severe egg intolerance after a year). But they can be an issue from day 1 for others.

Keep close track of your food and your symptoms. Start cutting things out while still making sure you are getting a balanced meal. I was a vegetarian from birth until age 32, so I understand the desire to eat healthy without adding meat in! I'm doing 2 days a week of all vegetarian for this whole30 because it's still hard for me to eat that much meat.

6 hours ago, madness said:

One thing that stuck out to me in your first description of your meals was "cashew". I found out during my first whole30 that cashews are a HUGE problem for me. Painful bloating, nausea, etc. I'd had the symptoms before but never pinned it to cashews until cleaning up the rest of my diet. I'm not suggesting that your issue is from them, just that any little thing can trigger you. I've heard of several people with egg issues but usually only after eating them for weeks or months (had a vegetarian cousin go paleo and develop a severe egg intolerance after a year). But they can be an issue from day 1 for others.

Keep close track of your food and your symptoms. Start cutting things out while still making sure you are getting a balanced meal. I was a vegetarian from birth until age 32, so I understand the desire to eat healthy without adding meat in! I'm doing 2 days a week of all vegetarian for this whole30 because it's still hard for me to eat that much meat.

That's really interesting, I may try no cashews this week. Are you ok with other nuts?

8 hours ago, Spoonmoonwolf said:

That's really interesting, I may try no cashews this week. Are you ok with other nuts?

I've not noticed any other nut issues but I definitely went light on the nuts. I did eat pecans and almonds though. I can't think of any others I had.

Hello all

Just an update, it's day nine and things seem to have settled (fingers crossed).

Last night I tried a tuna steak as a protein source but I just couldn't stomach it. I've decided to go the egg route with a few nuts and seeds thrown in. I have an emergency packet of tofu on standby but going to try no soya.

Thank you to all of you for your help and comments, its really helped me through he rough patch. I think having multiple auto immune diseases and other stuff going on meant the change was a shock to my system and as the sugar is leaving my body is rebelling!

I wanted to share a picture of this morning's breakfast with you as it was amazingly scrummy. 

Xxxx

IMG_8323.JPG

IMG_8326.JPG

Looks yummy!

I've read back through my notes of round 1. Day 4-6, I pretty much felt exactly like you did. I had completely forgotten about that. I didn't have the stomach issues this time around (I'm day 9), so it hadn't clicked.

I did one of my all egg days yesterday. I'm suffering from lack of appetite so I only got in two meals. Have you read the recommendation to eat as many eggs as you can hold in your hand? It's usually 3-4!  It's shocking how many eggs I'm going through! Gotta restock already!

Glad things are leveling out for you. :)

35 minutes ago, madness said:

Looks yummy!

I've read back through my notes of round 1. Day 4-6, I pretty much felt exactly like you did. I had completely forgotten about that. I didn't have the stomach issues this time around (I'm day 9), so it hadn't clicked.

I did one of my all egg days yesterday. I'm suffering from lack of appetite so I only got in two meals. Have you read the recommendation to eat as many eggs as you can hold in your hand? It's usually 3-4!  It's shocking how many eggs I'm going through! Gotta restock already!

Glad things are leveling out for you. :)

Really try and get those three meals a day in... skipping actually perpetuates the no appetite which perpetuates not eating = vicious circle.  Are you also doing this as a vegetarian/pescatarian?  If you eat fish or shellfish, maybe switch it up and make a nice ceviche or grilled prawns or something you don't normally eat to entice your appetite back.  If you don't eat fish, then just ignore me :)

@Spoonmoonwolf - that breakfast looked nice; maybe one more egg?  Good for your for trying out the box and seeing if the tuna would work for you.  If you do want to try other fishes, again, the ceviche is a nice combination of flavors that's not fishy tasting at all so that might work?  Plus, it's smaller, more disguised pieces than a tuna steak which sometimes helps... Keep up the good work!

9 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Really try and get those three meals a day in... skipping actually perpetuates the no appetite which perpetuates not eating = vicious circle.  Are you also doing this as a vegetarian/pescatarian?  If you eat fish or shellfish, maybe switch it up and make a nice ceviche or grilled prawns or something you don't normally eat to entice your appetite back.  If you don't eat fish, then just ignore me :)

I've suffered terribly the last few days because of the lack of appetite (hit the nap phase early and HARD, headaches, lightheaded, etc, etc). I've been forcing myself to eat but literally have to stop when the gag reflex kicks in! :o It happened last time as well but lasted longer then. Today I ate 3 meals, 2 of which (M2 and 3) were proper template size! I think I'm over the hump - and on day 9...last time I think it was day 14 or so.

I do eat meat. I just grew up vegetarian and remained so until 5 years ago, so this is a LOT of meat for me. I'm doing at least one, but hopefully two, all egg days a week, just to make sure I don't get grossed out on meat again. I just peruse the vegetarian section because I'm very sympathetic...plus I pick up some tips for more vegetarian options. :) 

The gag thing I totally get. It's so crazy. I got to day nine yesterday and suddenly ate this breakfast without a hideous repulsion to food. By lunch I even felt hungry so had a curried roast vegetable soup and toasted seeds. For dinner I just had a handful of almonds and vegetable crudités. For me it's still a day at a time to build my appetite back up.