Weaning steroids while starting Whole30

Summary: I am going to starting my first Whole30 Sept 1st. Problem is I am about to start weaning off of prednisone.

I am a crohnie and an ostomate. I have been on low dose prednisone for YEARS. Without it I throw up.

My new GI wants me off the steroids but the weaning protocol jumps me up to 40 mg for 14 days then down by 5 mg one week at a time (currently taking only 7.5mg daily)

High doses usually make me feel great, energetic and happy. I am concerned that I won't know what I  feel due to the 'roids vs. my change in diet.

Don't want to delay whole 30 due to a trip mid October. 

Anyone been through something like this?

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Spoilergirl said:

Summary: I am going to starting my first Whole30 Sept 1st. Problem is I am about to start weaning off of prednisone.

I am a crohnie and an ostomate. I have been on low dose prednisone for YEARS. Without it I throw up.

My new GI wants me off the steroids but the weaning protocol jumps me up to 40 mg for 14 days then down by 5 mg one week at a time (currently taking only 7.5mg daily)

High doses usually make me feel great, energetic and happy. I am concerned that I won't know what I  feel due to the 'roids vs. my change in diet.

Don't want to delay whole 30 due to a trip mid October. 

Anyone been through something like this?

This is a pretty specific set of circumstances... My suggestion would be to do the Whole30 (because it's not going to harm you) and then when you're in more of a state of stasis around your meds, I would do another one.  You're right, you won't know what's to blame for poor symptoms and what's to thank for good symptoms because of two massive changes happening right away.  If you're going to do the Whole30, make sure you're sticking to the meal template 3 times a day (even when the meds are reducing and you might feel like poop), drink 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, salt your food and just see what happens.

Archived