Hi! I'm on day 9 but was hesitant to post!

Melissa123

I guess I wasn't sure I could do this! After having nine days under my belt, I feel much better. I actually haven't had any cravings for any noncompliant food. I'm kind of baffled by it, and was even worried about it... Am I in denial? Do I just feel better psychologically on a restricted diet? Etc.. we hosted a party last night. I cooked everything so it was easy to know what I could eat. I also offered trader Joe's chips, Cheetos, and Totititos, white rice that I didn't eat. People brought prosecco and wine, and one brought a beautiful blue and white decorated vanilla cake. I made everyone else teriyaki grilled chicken, but had my husband grill my marinated chicken (no soy or sugar) separately first! 

Anyway, the amazing thing is that I a great time! Because I wasn't dealing with the sugar dragon, I was able to relax and focus on people rather than just food. Also I didn't overeat. In the past, I'd end up way over eating, especially on the chips. It's hard for me to stop. Also my salsa and guacamole I make is good! :) I had some with my grilled veggies and raw veggies instead. 

This morning I didn't have a food hangover. I know I would've, especially if I had the cake, which when the kids kept saying was Soooooo sweet! They all wanted water and milk with it. Also, I know I would have been eating slivers when putting it away and licking it off my fingers etc, late at night before bed when we were cleaning up. 

So I'm feeling good about staying the course. I hope I don't jinx it! 

Other than this I haven't noticed any changes... Maybe because before I started reading this forum, I didn't know I shouldn't be indulging in so many nuts and fruit. I stopped several days ago. I noticed I was eating a lot more nuts than usual, and I looked it up here. I was happy to read that I'm not the only one. 

Anyway, I feel very committed to changing my habits around sugar, food as a reward thoughts, etc.

I'm actually a bit nervous about reintroduction, but I realize it's putting the horse before the cart, and also that I need to have faith in myself and just enjoy the present! 

Ok this is a novel, but Hi! Melissa and happy to be here! 

Welcome!  Just so you know, completed my whole30 3 weeks ago, and I still don't really have any significant cravings for non-compliant food.  I allow an occasional indulgence, as my re-intros didn't show any major problems, but I prefer eating whole 30 and had significant health gains from doing it.  It doesn't HAVE to be hard!

2 hours ago, Rottiegirl2017 said:

Awesome job Melissa123!!  Prepping and having a plan (and sticking to it) for your party is HUGE.  GREAT, great job.

Thanks so much! It was definitely a first, that's for sure! Even when I vowed not to overeat in the past, when I tried to be mindful, I was never able to experience it. I always gave in to cravings. Or, when I was pregnant and had pregestational diabetes and was on a similar diet, I felt extremely deprived. 

1 minute ago, Melissa123 said:

Or, when I was pregnant and had pregestational diabetes and was on a similar diet, I felt extremely deprived. 

This is not my line but it resonated with me - instead of thinking about what you CAN'T eat, think about what you GET to eat.  I truly enjoy what I eat now - but it wasn't always like this for me - a few years back I tried eliminating gluten and dairy and it was a miserable experience.  And didn't last long obviously :)  It's about getting your head in the right place, and it sounds like you have.  Great job!

14 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Welcome!  Just so you know, completed my whole30 3 weeks ago, and I still don't really have any significant cravings for non-compliant food.  I allow an occasional indulgence, as my re-intros didn't show any major problems, but I prefer eating whole 30 and had significant health gains from doing it.  It doesn't HAVE to be hard!

That's great to know!

14 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

This is not my line but it resonated with me - instead of thinking about what you CAN'T eat, think about what you GET to eat.  I truly enjoy what I eat now - but it wasn't always like this for me - a few years back I tried eliminating gluten and dairy and it was a miserable experience.  And didn't last long obviously :)  It's about getting your head in the right place, and it sounds like you have.  Great job!

Yes!! Exactly! It's a choice I'm making, not something I'm being told or forced to do. 

Also, in the past, problems have arisen when I'm not honest with myself. For example, cutting it sugar to lose weight, rather than health. If I tell myself it's for health but really am doing it in an effort to lose weight, then I am not aligned inside. And that rebellious part taunts the other rule-oriented superego side, and it becomes an internal battle. So much mental energy..... 

This time, I feel in alignment with my choice and actions. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Melissa123 said:

Yes!! Exactly! It's a choice I'm making, not something I'm being told or forced to do. 

Also, in the past, problems have arisen when I'm not honest with myself. For example, cutting it sugar to lose weight, rather than health. If I tell myself it's for health but really am doing it in an effort to lose weight, then I am not aligned inside. And that rebellious part taunts the other rule-oriented superego side, and it becomes an internal battle. So much mental energy..... 

This time, I feel in alignment with my choice and actions. 

I LOVE this!  I totally love what the Whole30 does for people's health but the thing that I love to read about the most is the non physical things... the mental struggles that we turn around, the awareness of coping mechanisms, the whole idea of self worth and self value!  These things, to me, are THE most important part of any journey!  I love your comment about needing to be aligned on the inside to make things click/stick.  I have very much the same struggle... if I do not feel a connection through my heart, mind and soul to a task, an event, a person, an idea, then it's a battle royale that I never ever win - however, when that connection is there, I am unstoppable!!  

Archived