Sara's Sept Whole30

shillis

Day 1 - Saturday, Aug 26

I've been preparing to start Whole30 on Sept 2, but decided to jump in 100% today. 

M1: sweet potato cubed and cooked in coconut oil, 2 eggs, fresh pineapple

Snack: pack of tuna 

M2: turkey breast, onions and peppers roasted in olive oil, roasted plantains, raw almonds 

M3: hamburger patty with caramelized onions over a bed of greens, homemade balasamic dressing and roasted peppers and Brussel sprouts. Spoonful of sunbutter

Was feeling exhausted and thinking about dessert around 9:30 so went to bed. Had been up since 6 am so no surprise there! 

Overall, I didn't plan well enough for the day. I was at a work event from 9-2, with a box lunch provided. When I finished I was starving and tempted to start another day, but made it work. 

Day 2 - Sunday, August 27

I enjoyed the opportunity to sleep in this morning and have a slow start to the day. I then spent the day meal planning and prepping for the week. 

M1: compliant bacon, 3 poached eggs, 1/2 avocado, red and yellow pepper strips, over a bed of red curly lettuce with salsa, small apple 

M2: protein salad over a bed of romaine, handful of brazil nuts

M3: sweet potato hash, 2 poached eggs on bed of spinach, red banana 

Meals were successful today. However, I need to work on finding the right quantities. My schedule was a bit off today so ended up feeling like I was grazing on snacks and as I meal prepped for the week. Need to focus on getting 3 appropriate sized meals. 

As far as meal prep goes, today I

• Roasted a chicken for protein salad and cold thai salad
  • Made mayo
  • Made sunshine sauce
  • Made Cold Thai Salad for lunch for next 3 days
  • Made sweet potato hash and eggs for breakfast for next 4 days
  • Planned dinners for the week

Felt a bit groggy and foggy this afternoon. Felt tired out by short walks with the dogs. 

File_004.jpeg

File_000.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

Yum!

Have you read the recommendations on eggs for a serving? As many as you can hold in your hand. That's usually 3-4. I can NEVER eat that many eggs, so usually add an additional protein to an egg meal. This time around I'm trying to have 2 days a week of all vegetarian meals. It's going to be consuming nearly a dozen eggs a day. :o

@madness thanks! It was quite tasty. After the past few days I realize why they have the recommendation for more eggs; I start feeling the need for a snack about an hour before lunch so adding an egg and 1/2 avocado tomorrow. Luckily I love eggs, but hoping I don't get tired of them! Good for you doing some vegetarian days, but definitely sounds like an added challenge. 

@Geralyn5 thanks! Luckily I was doing meal prep before so it's just changing the contents :) prepared with a few extra complaint items today as well. Working a long day due to Welcome Week so definitely need to be prepared!!   Love seeing your photos of your dinners you've been posting. 

Day 3 - Monday, August 28

Felt a bit foggy most of today and lacking energy. However, it was a busy day at work so kept me distracted when the sugar dragon struck this afternoon!

I start getting hungry before lunchtime, so planning to add another egg and maybe some avocado to breakfast moving forward. 

M1: sweet potato hash, 2 poached eggs on bed of spinach, red grapes

M2: Thai noodle salad with chicken, handful of Brazil nuts, apple, sunbutter, date, cherry tomatoes 

M3: protein salad on a bed of greens, mini red pepper, carrots 

I packed additional items for my meals (pictured) but ended up not eating them as I was full after lunch and dinner. 

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

Day 4 - Tuesday, Aug 29

Today was a large event at work and had to be moved indoors due to weather. I felt pretty good mood-wise about it, where this could have easily stressed me out! Maintained energy through a long work day 

M1: Sweet potato hash with complaint sausage, 3 eggs on bed of spinach, 1/2 avocado, grapes

S: Applepie Larabar

M2: Cold Thai Salad, sunbutter, apple, carrots, cherry tomatoes

M3: coconut lemongrass chicken quarter, sugar snap peas, roasted mushrooms and brusselsprouts, pineapple avocado salsa 

IMG_3761.JPG

TMI section: stop reading if you can't handle poop talk!

loose stools/diarreah this morning but felt better by 10 am. 

Trying to track all mood/bodily reactions to Whole30!

My worst digestions issues last time were day 4-6. Didn't last long. I know some people take longer to get over it!

You'll be thankful you tracked this stuff if you want to do a second round later on. I'm so glad I did it because it's been over a year and I couldn't remember some of the things I went through. Reading back, I realize I DID it and it's all survivable! :P

That dinner looks AMAZING!! (Also, teach me how to poach an egg please :))

I failed at planning today - I have jerky and grapes for M1 and luckily I left some chili here last week that I can do for M2 - I am going to be HUNGRY tonight! Hope welcome week is going well! I love that you are rocking the first week at such a busy time!! 

Thanks! Peter cooked and I provided the suggestions for the sauce on the chicken. 

Poaching eggs....oh my gosh, I feel like it took me forever to learn! But now I LOVE eating them. I boil water in a saucepan. When it reaches boiling, pour in vinegar. I estimate its probably 1/4 cup. Crack the egg in a small dish and slowly pour into the water. I also swirl water before dropping in, but found its not always necessary :) Maybe I just need to come to Boone for a egg cooking demo!

Stay strong today! I was planning to start 9/2, but thought if I can make it through Welcome Week I can make it through anytime!

22 hours ago, madness said:

My worst digestions issues last time were day 4-6. Didn't last long. I know some people take longer to get over it!

You'll be thankful you tracked this stuff if you want to do a second round later on. I'm so glad I did it because it's been over a year and I couldn't remember some of the things I went through. Reading back, I realize I DID it and it's all survivable! :P

Thanks @madness! @Geralyn5 made the suggestion and I thought I would appreciate being able to look back and see what I ate, how it affected me, etc. 

Day 5 - Wednesday, August 30

it was another long day at work with Welcome Week events. I am looking forward to the 3-day weekend and some relaxation. I am also looking forward to a more normal work schedule the next few weeks. Being on my feet all day is good for getting steps, but leads me to not taking the time I need to eat lunch and feeling hungry later. I hadn't prepared for that so had a Larabar, but attempting to not have them often as they are essentially candy!

M1. Spinach, sweet potato hash with sausage, 2 poached eggs
M2. Protein salad on bed of greens, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, blackberries
Snack: Apple Pie Larabar
M3. Chicken Pesto Spaghetti - http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/chicken-pesto-paleo-spaghetti-squash/

I have noticed that the past few days I have woken up without an alarm and quite easily. I am not usually a morning person, so this is awesome!

I also am currently breaking out - unusual as breakouts are mainly during day 25+ of cycle; currently cycle day 9. 

Overall, I feel pretty good. I have a huge sweet tooth so have been expecting to really struggle with the sugar dragon. Today there were multiple offers for candy, cupcakes, cookies, etc., and it was easy to say no. I am hoping that continues for the next 25 days!

Day 6 - Thursday, August 31

Seriously, I cannot believe it has been almost a whole week of Whole 30. I have talked about giving up sugar for several months and just never felt like it was actually feasible. This week has shown me that I can quit sugar and slay the sugar dragon. Today was the first afternoon I got the sugar craving, but I got up, walked around and avoided the candy bowl that is persistently in the office. I've been expecting the Kill All The Things phase all week, but seem to have missed it or it will come later! I eased myself into the Whole 30 giving myself a few weeks of eating Whole30 compliant meals without necessarily following the rules, so maybe when I fully immersed in the program on Day 1 I had dealt with some of those things already. Who knows.?!?

I did have my first food dream last night. I ate a few bites and then the quart of a chocolate cherry ice cream. I definitely felt guilty in the dream. I even had a half-awake moment thinking it was Day 0 again. I always have vivid dreams, so that wasn't unusual, but the consistency that the dreams have across those in Whole30 intrigues me. 

M1: Sweet potato hash with complaint sausage on a bed of spinach, 3 poached eggs, grapes, sparkling water
M2: Ground beef with onions on spinach garlic mashed potatoes (potatoes, coconut milk, ghee, nutritional yeast, spinach), sparkling water
M3: Brazil nuts, Ground beef with onions on spinach garlic mashed potatoes

Repeat meals due to working late tonight so needed something easy to cook and bring with me!

I was successful with quantities today. I felt full until the next meal and didn't have a Larabar between meals. I also prepped and brought mayo, tuna and a sweet potato so I had a more appropriate snack should it be needed. 

Felt energetic this morning and clear headed throughout the day. 

12 hours ago, madness said:

You're doing great! This time I didn't go through Kill All the Things. I was AWFUL last round. But this time it was Cry About All the Things. :blink: Glad that only lasted 2 days...

@madness Oh goodness, that may be worst! I have gone to tears this week, but my family was hit by Harvey and while the storm and destruction didn't get to me, the kindness of friends and strangers in supporting my family has overwhelmed me. I see you are in Texas - you and your family safe?

Day 7 - Friday, September 1

Reflections after Week 1

As I wrap up the first week, I realize I didn't document here the reasons I wanted to do Whole 30 to begin with. As I head into a holiday weekend, I want a reminder of why easily accessible.

• Better relationship with food - not using food as celebration, cope with stress, etc. 
  • Slay the sugar dragon/break sugar addiction
  • Increased energy and stamina
  • Better long-term health (lower BP, obesity)
  • Lose weight
  • Prove to myself that I can

I feel that I have been successful in setting the framework for me to establish long-term habits and reach food freedom forever. However, I think there are a few things I need to focus on in the upcoming weeks of Whole 30 to truly be successful.

• Do not eat meals distracted. I am bad about instantly pulling up my phone or a book when eating. We tend to sit in front of the TV to eat. My goal for this week is to eat my meals at the dining room table and NOT at my desk when at work. 
  • Walk at least 10,000 steps every day. I was close this week, but missed a few days. I need to make a conscious effort to get to start adding more activity to my schedule.
  • Be cautious of snacking. While I have been eating complaint foods, there have still been days where I have snacked or grazed. 

Today's Meals

M1: 4 poached eggs on bed of spinach with salsa, cherry tomatoes, asian pear, sunbutter
M2: salmon protein salad on a bed of spinach, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 avocade
M3: 6 oysters, apple pie lara bar
M4: Protein salad on bed of side salad, orange pepper slices, 2 boiled eggs, RX bar, walnuts and brazi nuts, cherry tomatoes

I am pretty proud of meal 3 and 4. We went to the Orioles game tonight with work, so co-workers wanted to happy hour before the game. I had some oysters, club soda and larabar. I had prepared myself for what choices I was going to make. I knew we were going to the game, so pack a survival pack of apple with sunbutter, nuts, rx bar, veggies, nuts and protein salad. At the Orioles game we were in seats that included an all-you-can eat menu of hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, ice cream, soda and side salad! I grabbed a side salad and water and added my items I had brought. Luckily the Orioles allow food to be brought into the stadium, so it made it soooo much easier to stay compliant!

How I'm feeling

Still some loose stools at the end of this week, but feeling good overall. Still in disbelief about not having had sugar for a week and tease my husband that he must be putting candy in my mouth during the night! Energy has been good and I am doing better with getting enough fat and protein at each meal. I even got a compliment this week that I was looking good and I am feeling good. I still have some aches and pains that I hope dissipate as I continue the program and reduce inflammation!

IMG_3790.JPG

Day 8 - Saturday, September 2

Feeling good last few days, sleeping straight through the night and waking up refreshed. Noticed I didn't have the aches and pains, specifically that occur in my neck and back, today.

M1:poached eggs on roasted eggplant, roasted mushrooms, tomato and zucchini, organic apple chicken sausage link, most of an Asian pear. 

M2: Rx bar, pan fried plantains (coconut oil), handful of Brazil nuts and walnuts, 2 boiled eggs.

M3: ground beef, eggplant, onion and pepper blend on top of a bed of romaine with salsa and lime crema (mayo, lime juice, zest and some avocado), Asian pear leftovers from breakfast. It was a huge pear!!! 

Day 9 - Sunday, September 3

Was dragging a bit this morning and didn't sleep as well as I have been the past few nights. Also didn't get my 10k steps yesterday so wanted to make sure I did today. Took the dogs for a walk at the park and got my 10k steps in today!

I had a friend over this afternoon so prepared a veggie tray and complaint snacks! 

M1: scrambled eggs with coconut milk and ghee, complaint bacon, salsa

M2: fresh and roasted veggies, Brazil nuts, sunshine dip/sauce, tangelo, salsa

M3: sweet potato, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil

M4: chicken and broccoli green curry over Cauliflower rice 

Day 10 - Monday, Sept 4

Experiencing some aches and paines today that I hope Whole 30 reduces: lower back pain, which I've experienced off and on since teen years and pain in my left ankle. Had a bad sprain in high school and it's never been the same. Rarely have pain like I did today though. Shooting pains at times through the day.

Still having loose stools.

M1: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with salsa, sausage patties, pan friend plantains.

M2: chicken salad, veggies, figs, pistachios, rx bar.

M3: Shepards pie from Whole 30 guide

spoonful of sunbutter, mug of chicken bone broth 

Day 11 - Tuesday, Sept 5

It was a rough day today, y'all. I couldn't fall asleep last night and tossed and turned, so I was exhausted all day today.  In addition, I continue to have pain in my ankle. I'm not sure if I did something Sunday on our short hike, but it has been painful. I managed to get away from my desk for a 20 min walk today but did not hit my 10k steps. About to head to bed (by 9 pm) and hope to wake up energized tomorrow! 

M1: kale and sausage frittata, 1/2 avocado, figs 

M2: cabbage leaf beef/eggplant tacos with Spanish Cauliflower rice, pistachios, 1/2 avocado, salsa, blackberries

Snack: larabar - need to pack more lunch tomorrow!

M4: walnut crusted pork loin, roasted broccoli and salad

Day 12 - Wednesday, Sept 6

I've been super tired the past 2 days and haven't been sleeping well. Last week I had a few nights of really deep restful sleep, so I'm not quite sure what is going on. I've been tossing and turning and finally falling deep asleep just as I need to get up. I have been eating later dinners but that has been due to my work schedule this week so not sure how to remedy that.

Today has actually been my hardest day with wanting off-plan items, specifically sugar!! Resisted temptation for items and didn't eat other food to substitute.

Stolls have returned to normal and my breakouts seem to have subsided as well. 

Toenails and feet are looking better. Usually have dry brittle toe nails and cracked heels. Skin is smoother and nails appear stronger. I have also noticed a reduction in gas. Feel like I am looking leaner, but not taking measurements until the end of my 30 days. 

Meals

M1: kale and sausage frittata, figs, Brazil nuts.

M2: pistachios, cabbage leaf beef/eggplant tacos, Spanish Cauliflower rice. 

Snack: Brazil nuts, Rx bar. (I ended up getting home late from work and needed something to tie me over while we cooked dinner)

M3: walnut crusted pork loin, butternut kale salad

For me, sleep issues were pretty bad (both rounds) from day 8ish to 14ish. Super tired, wanting to nap, but restless at night. Waking up feeling like I had tossed and turned. I'm over that hump now. My schedule has been a bit messed up and I'm not getting as much sleep as I want at the moment, but it's not killing me, I think because I'm generally doing really well on the Whole30. You are almost to the smooth sailing point!

(I'm breaking out right now...haven't done that in 20 years! :o Hope it's very short lived....)

8 hours ago, madness said:

For me, sleep issues were pretty bad (both rounds) from day 8ish to 14ish. Super tired, wanting to nap, but restless at night. Waking up feeling like I had tossed and turned. I'm over that hump now. My schedule has been a bit messed up and I'm not getting as much sleep as I want at the moment, but it's not killing me, I think because I'm generally doing really well on the Whole30. You are almost to the smooth sailing point!

(I'm breaking out right now...haven't done that in 20 years! :o Hope it's very short lived....)

I've been experiencing the exact same thing with sleep. Starting magnesium today and hoping it passes! 

I broke out the first 2 weeks but my skin is lovely now! 

Day 13 - Thursday, Sept 7

Still not sleeping well. Starting magnesium supplement today and hoping this time passes!

I felt hungry throughout the day today. That is normal just before my period, but I am only on day 17 of my cycle so a bit early. Ate some snacks to keep me going today.

i did happy hour today and was happy with having oysters and a club soda. This is my winning strategy for going out with friends! 

M1: sausage and kale frittata, 1/2 avocado

snack: 2 boiled eggs and handful of Brazil nuts

M2: rotisserie chicken, side salad, plantain

snack: cherry tomatoes, spoonful of sunbutter  

happy hour: 6 oysters

M3: blackened chicken, roasted squash and sweet potato, summer squash cooked in olive oil 

End of Week 2

I haven't posted in several days, but I am finally feeling like myself again and feeling the higher energy of Whole30. On Thursday evening (Day 13), I began taking magnesium before bed and since then have been having great sleep! In addition, it was a busy weekend - hosted friends Saturday night for game night, so spent the day preparing food and cleaning. Today meal prepped, went paddle boarding and visited some friends. I have felt alert and energized over the weekend! Toward the end of the week I was really wanting cheese and CANDY! It was a stressful end of the week at work, usually a time that would lead to me feeling I deserved something special to eat.   I haven't had that same thought that I deserve food to compensate for a hard day. hat is a big change for me and need to keep reinforcing that mentality. At the end of the week, I received several compliments that I was looking good/slim/etc. I have lost weight before Whole 30 as well, but love that others are beginning to see the change as well. 

Logging all my meals on Instagram: @shillis

Here are the details for the past few days

Friday, Sept 8

M1: kale and sausage frittata, 1/2 avocado, salsa. Snack: Asian pear and Brazil nuts

M2: steak salad with guac,2 boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, larabar

Snack: nuts and raisins, kombucha

M3: ground beef over kale artichoke mashed potatoes

Saturday, Sept 9

M1: complaint bacon, breakfast potatoes and fried eggs, strawberries.

M2: leftover shepherds pie

M3: boiled eggs, roasted and raw veggies with sunshine sauce and ranch dip, fruit and the pictured pineapple strawberry mocktail
Had friends over, so made a selection of Whole 30 and non-Whole 30 foods. 

Sunday, Sept 10

Went paddle boarding this afternoon- fell in the water A LOT but had fun. Since we were out and about M2 today was 2 boiled eggs, epic bar, Rx bar and some nuts eaten post activity.

M1: leftovers breakfast of chicken protein salad, pineapple, strawberries, sausage kale frittata, macadamia nuts and bacon.

M3: pesto chicken spaghetti squash and a peach

Archived