Snacking and dessert substitution

When is it okay to have snacks? Sometimes if I'm more active in the mornings I get hungry before lunch or in between lunch and dinner? I'm on day 11 and still have a lot of cravings...mostly because I wasn't struck with the snacking rule. 

Also, is saving my fruit for last during lunch or dinner the same as substituting it for dessert? 

Lastly, I'll be traveling to my parents house over Labor Day weekend. I plan to cook a few meals and they know about the program but I'm not convinced I'll be able to have everything they make. Is it okay to make a trail mix (almonds, macadamia nuts and raisins) to have incase? I can't have the rx bars bc all the compliant ones I've found have cashews in them which I don't like eating bc my three year old is allergic to them.  I found one larabar I could have, but it's cherry pie and that seems like more of a "treat" than a homemade trail mix. I also have some complaint beef sticks to take as well. 

Thanks! 

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Sarahmarvin said:

When is it okay to have snacks? Sometimes if I'm more active in the mornings I get hungry before lunch or in between lunch and dinner? I'm on day 11 and still have a lot of cravings...mostly because I wasn't struck with the snacking rule. 

Also, is saving my fruit for last during lunch or dinner the same as substituting it for dessert? 

Lastly, I'll be traveling to my parents house over Labor Day weekend. I plan to cook a few meals and they know about the program but I'm not convinced I'll be able to have everything they make. Is it okay to make a trail mix (almonds, macadamia nuts and raisins) to have incase? I can't have the rx bars bc all the compliant ones I've found have cashews in them which I don't like eating bc my three year old is allergic to them.  I found one larabar I could have, but it's cherry pie and that seems like more of a "treat" than a homemade trail mix. I also have some complaint beef sticks to take as well. 

Thanks! 

If you're legitimately hungry between meals, yes, it's okay to eat but we suggest protein and fat, not fruit and nuts and then make adjustments to your meals going forward so that you can get 4-5 hours between meals.

Fruit should be eaten with a meal... if you are coming off a way of eating where dessert is always served, then I wouldn't save it till last but only you know if you're using it for dessert.  Stop eating it for a few days and see what happens... are you annoyed, more cravings, feel like not eating it is punitive? 

At your parents house, why not make up some hardboiled eggs and whip up a quick batch of home made mayo?  Or throw some chicken breasts into the oven/whip up a simple frittatta when you get there.  If you're worried about not having things to eat at meals, trail mix of any kind is not where you want to go with that... find a way to get some food that you CAN eat.  Even if you make up a batch of mayo and eat tinned tuna salad and cucumbers... Everyone seems to gravitate towards bars and fruit/nuts but there are things that are JUST as easy to make/eat that are actual food items :)

@SugarcubeOD thank you for the advice! I keep telling myself that trail mix is better than eating cookies, chocolate, etc but I need to stop that mentality and suck it up! That mind set is not going to help me kick my sugar/snack dragon in the face! 

My family are major snack and dessert eaters...so it's like going to the heart of the storm when visiting their house haha! 

Thanks!

Archived