Whole Foods

Kirsteen

We have a Whole Foods here in Glasgow. I've never visited it because it means a taxi ride there and back. However I'm supposed to be going tomorrow with a friend, if I'm up to it. Now I've no idea whether they stock the same foods as in the US or not but, supposing they do, is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Also they have a coffee shop and my friend has suggested having lunch there. Now I'm post W30 but still compliant so is there likely to be anything I can eat there or would I be better eating first and just having a coffee? Any ideas?

Coconut aminos. They have compliant sausages in their meat dept. They also have compliant cooked rotisserie chicken - so long as you get a chicken marked "Plain". I pick up a rotisserie chicken almost once a week because it's so convenient, makes for several meals and I can then make chicken stock with the bones and scraps. They have all things coconut - unsweetened coconut flakes, etc (you probably have found these elsewhere by now). Various nut flours and nuts roasted without added oil.

You can easily find things to eat there - but you may have to be okay with eating a little bit of canola oil. Everything is labeled with all the ingredients listed.

• Moderators

One of the best cups of coffee I ever had came from a Whole Foods. Unfortunately, after a few weeks of heaven (I went in at least once per week), something changed and the coffee went from outstanding to merely good.

My local Whole Foods includes a big prepared foods section where many people eat lunch. The food looks good with lots of choices, but I would not assume that every store offers so much.

Maybe because I grew up in grocery stores, I like to walk around and look at everything. I can spend several hours in a new store.

The Whole Foods stores near me in the US have a great selection of kombuchas. They also carry sea snax which are a great source of iodine. They have other brands too but this brand has the cleanest ingredients and no canola. My whole foods also carries kelp noodles in the asian foods section which are great in stir fries. You might also find coconut butter or coconut manna which is good melted and drizzled on fruit or even to thicken sauces like curries. The prepared foods section in my whole foods has great looking food but nearly every item has sugar, wheat, or canola so make sure you check labels.

Well I visited Whole Foods today (note to self - never go with a friend who wants to spend 20 mins looking at 50 different types of pasta) They had chicken breast fillets and baby tomatoes on special so I stocked up on those. I also got a brisket joint, chicken wings and found lambs liver (doing the happy dance about that :) ) Their fish was disappointing - all farmed. They had an amazing range of veg but since I get a box delivered every Friday from a local organic nursery (it's meant to do two but I have it on my own) I didn't really want to buy any more.

I was delighted to find canned pumpkin since no other shop here sells it so I bought 6 tins - no idea what I'm going to do with them :unsure: They had lots of dried seaweed, coconut oil and ghee but I've already sourced them online and am stocked up but will remember for the future. They had no kombuucha only kombucha cordial which seems to be mainly sugar but again, I've sourced that online so no biggie.

Biggest disapointment - I saw something labelled 'Primal Strips' and went Yeeha 'til I saw it was 'Vegan Soy Jerky' Now that's just a travesty :angry:

The cofffee was really good and I enjoyed the day out but since it costs me approx $19 just to get there and back, I don't think it'll be a really regular outing.

I'm sorry it wasnt the trip you hoped it would be :( I like Whole Foods because its like another world, but their prices and (lack of whole food) is truly a bit disappointing....

I've found Amazon to be a better store you dont have to leave home to visit :)

Glad you were able to go Kirsteen. Yeah, that would drive me nuts to be with someone who wanted to look at pastas for that length of time. :) My friends all seem to be drawn to the cheese and dessert case. We just split up for that portion of the shopping trip. I think it's Sharon who puts canned pumpkin in the Cocoa Chili in the Well Fed cookbook. I haven't tried it, but it sounds really good.

I think I would just eat canned pumpkin straight, with some coconut milk and nutmeg/cinnamon on top..... maybe some pineapples.

Not sure what else to do with it either, besides make the pumpkin pies for thanksgiving that I WONT be eating, *hmph*

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do my weekly shopping at Whole Foods. Mine has an excellent selection of grass fed/pastured animal foods. They do a rating scale 1 to 5 and I stick with the ones marked 4 or 5 as those are the best quality as far as how the animal was raised. I can even get grassfed liver and grass fed bones at mine. One thing to note, at least about mine, is that they don't have the same animal foods each week, so, I stock my freezer with whatever they have that week. So, for example, today, I bought two slabs of pastured pork belly, and about 7 lbs of grass fed beef shank, and one pastured whole chicken (they always have those). But, I have a huge freezer so it isn't an issue for me.

I also like their coconut milk and the Pomi brand tomatoes. I also buy their fresh ground almond butter and kind find unsweetened dried fruit there as well.

I love my Whole Foods. Can you tell? ;)

Finally got to Whole Foods today and how exciting! I was able to pick up many of the items I have been searching for (ghee, unsweetened coconut flakes, sunflower butter and Kombucha). I need a second job to shop there every week, but it was so much fun!

Made the sunflower sauce, homemade mayo and pesto from Well Fed. I feel much better prepared for the next week.

@Susan--No, it's usually $5.99. But it's still better quality than conventional I think.

Oh much better. I was just trying to figure out if it was the other Friday meat sale that they do. It doesn't happen very often though.

Archived