I just can't imagine...

that anyone can lose weight doing this. MY wife and I are doing this together. I, to show support and help my wife. It's now day 11 and she's eating at leasty double what she used to eat in calories. She did caloric restriction for several years to try to at least stop the weight gain, without success. It just kept creeping on. Now with 3 FULL meals a day and at day 11, she says she "feels fat and bloated". 

A couple of relatives easily lost 10 lbs doing whole30, so that's why as a last ditch effort she's doing it. How do you lose weight by eating so much more?

It's going to be a very bad day around here if she doesn't lose anything at the end of 30 days. In fact, I fear that day. She already tried keto diet, and only lost one pound in 10 weeks. If this fails, I'll totally understand her going back to old habits of lots of cheese, Atkins bars and aspatame flavored yogurt and ice cream at night. I mean, if it doesn't make any difference in her weight and she has no health issues and takes no meds, then why not eat her favorite foods that make her happy?

5 minutes ago, coconuts said:

How do you lose weight by eating so much more?

What you're eating now is nutrient dense, and exactly what the body needs. Many people on calorie restricted diets actually cause the metabolism to slow down to prevent the body from burning too much fuel when there isn't fuel readily available, so calorie restriction is counter productive.

Some bloating is normal as the body adjusts to the new way of eating, and often people gain a little before the body starts to trust the process & stops holding onto every morsel of food for fear of the next famine.

Hang in there - it's a 30 day program for a reason, so it's early days for you guys yet...!! Bear in mind also that this is NOT a weight-loss program, and that weight-loss is sometimes but not always a side effect of eating whole foods ;)

So... we're on day 16. The halfway point has come and gone. At this point she's tired. Just really tired and had a lack of energy. This is not like her at all. Normally, she's got energy to spare, but all day yesterday, just so tired. And still bloated and has abnormal bowel movements... more runny after having some constipation. Last night we had salmon and some salad and an apple and cabbage recipe. While really good, she just could not eat everything, as she just felt so stuffed, like a sausage were her words. So half went to a lunch one day for leftovers. 

She said that she can't see that she will lose any of her fat around her middle or any weight. She's just going to give it a fair shake and finish without cheating and get it over with. She's discourage, but trying to be realistic that the body change and weight loss that her relatives saw isn't something she's going to experience. But hey, we've still got 14 days, right? Maybe this is where the magic happens and things turn around!

Have you seen the Whole30 Calendar? It's been eerily accurate for my husband and I and it sounds like some of the things you are experiencing are on the calendar, but maybe she is getting them on a delay? She may want to think about sticking with it past the 30 days.

Whole30-Timeline-COLOR-Smaller.jpg

We did look at that calendar, and she may be experiencing some of these things later than most. But, she is counting the days down until she can be done with it. There's no way she's going to go more than 30 days. But I think maybe she will change some habits. Like that cheese and crackers or an Atkins bar is not lunch, and that tea and 6oz of yogurt isn't breakfast. That is what she generally did for years. 

If you list out a few days worth of meals, being specific as to types of foods (list out individual vegetables) and how much as it relates to the template, (i.e., a palm size of chicken vs trying to say 4 oz. or chicken, or whatever), we may be able to help suggest tweaks that could help.

But: Are you: salting food, eating plenty of fats, some starchy carbs, and drinking plenty of water?

Also, coming from a change of years of very different eating habits may have different mileage than some folks.  It takes the body a while to re sort hormones and figure the good foods out.

1 hour ago, coconuts said:

And still bloated

I'd second @slc_melissa's suggestion of listing out a few days worth of meals, being specific about veg types & portion sizes.

There are MANY people who are sensitive to certain types of veg, with one of the many symptoms being bloating - once they identify the problematic foods and eliminate (or sometimes even just reduce) them the symptoms subside and the energy makes an appearance.

It would be very helpful for us to help you trouble shoot if we had a much clearer idea of what exactly you/she have been eating.

Archived