Is it possible that eating clean is making me more sensitive to medication?!

I had to have oral surgery yesterday, and I'm on antibiotics. :( Yesterday I felt Ok (other than my mouth), and I took a codeine that was prescribed by my doctor for the pain at 11:00 pm and went to bed. I woke up around 7 and felt fine, but then started to get dizzy while checking my phone. I took a wobenzym (plant based enzymes for joints). By the time I had roasted a yam and boiled eggs, I was hungry, so I was planning on eating breakfast. But when I was peeling the eggs, I felt so nauseous and dizzy again, I had to sit down. My sister in law, who is an MD, told me that I should eat something with salt and I should feel better. I had called her because I was worried I shouldn't have taken the wobenzym with the antibiotic and codeine from the night before. But she said it should be fine. So I choked down my breakfast of egg, bone broth, and yam. That's all I could get down. ugh.

I had a normal lunch (butternut squash soup with extra beef and onions, spinach, and riced cauliflower with 1/2 avocado, lime juice and fresh herbs). But I've been feeling nauseous ALL day. I'm not taking any more pain meds. My mouth isn't that bad. It's practically been 24 hours. I've never reacted to codeine like this in the past. Or the wobenzym.

I'm wondering if I'm more sensitive now that I have been eating so clean - I'm on day 13. Has anyone else had this experience? Also, this is the first time since I started the whole30 that I have cravings. I'm craving plain crackers, bread like things because of the nausea. I feel like I'm in my 1st trimester again! Anyway, haven't given in - just been sipping my water steeped in some fresh ginger. It's not working though... 

• Moderators

You might be more sensitive to it, I'm not sure -- I know I've seen people report that after their whole30, alcohol affects them more than it did before, so it could make sense that other things could as well.

I'd also wonder about taking the codeine at 11 pm, did you have food with it? Some drugs really shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach as they can cause nausea. 

If you're still feeling nauseous, stick to bland, easy to digest foods like potato, sweet potato, scrambled eggs, grilled chicken, and broth. Do try to eat something, as not eating will end up making you feel worse in the long term. If the ginger isn't helping, you might look for a peppermint tea, some people find it helps with nausea.

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Shannon! Yes, I did take the codeine with an egg and some yam that night. I feel much better today. I think it just had to work its way out of my system. I am a small person (between 100 -105 lbs. and 4'10"). I didn't take it again. I was feeling normal by yesterday evening. Luckily I have no pain in my mouth. I'm hoping I am healing faster since I've been nourishing myself so well! 

I've noticed that as I age, I am more sensitive to alcohol and caffeine. I pretty much cut that out (except vanilla extract) pre-Whole30! 

Archived