Finished my first whole30!!

Byrdistheword

I finished my very first whole30 cycle as of August 31st and I must say, I am so damn proud of myself! 

First, body changes. I lost 10 pounds and definitely see my face is slimmer and my stomach sticks out less. One of the greatest improvements though is my energy. I was the NAP QUEEN before all this, even with coffee. Now I'm not saying that all of a sudden I'm running marathons, but I definitely do feel a steady energy level increase throughout the day. 

Second, self awareness. At the beginning of the whole30 I would often be on autopilot when it came to food. Oh the cheese department is giving away samples? Sure, I'll have some. You'd like me to taste this new wine? Of course! There's only a few bites of pie left? I'll take it, no sense in getting a box. 

And so on. 

But having to have laser like focus about everything I ate really made a difference. I never really realized how often I eat on cruise control. Plus, I soon learned that cooking healthy food for myself is not a chore or punishment, it's treating myself with respect. Something long overdue.

I celebrated my victory my first reintroduction day with some wine. Today, on my second, I had a little black beans and rice. And while I was tempted by my boyfriends cheesy tator tots, I have continued to abstain from dairy and will continue to do so. 

I know that my journey isn't over, but I'm really proud of how far I've come. I feel confident going into my future, knowing now that this lifestyle is possible. Good luck to all those out there starting their whole30 for the first time.

Believe me, It's totally worth it. 

• Moderators
On September 1, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Byrdistheword said:

I finished my very first whole30 cycle as of August 31st and I must say, I am so damn proud of myself! 

First, body changes. I lost 10 pounds and definitely see my face is slimmer and my stomach sticks out less. One of the greatest improvements though is my energy. I was the NAP QUEEN before all this, even with coffee. Now I'm not saying that all of a sudden I'm running marathons, but I definitely do feel a steady energy level increase throughout the day. 

Second, self awareness. At the beginning of the whole30 I would often be on autopilot when it came to food. Oh the cheese department is giving away samples? Sure, I'll have some. You'd like me to taste this new wine? Of course! There's only a few bites of pie left? I'll take it, no sense in getting a box. 

And so on. 

But having to have laser like focus about everything I ate really made a difference. I never really realized how often I eat on cruise control. Plus, I soon learned that cooking healthy food for myself is not a chore or punishment, it's treating myself with respect. Something long overdue.

I celebrated my victory my first reintroduction day with some wine. Today, on my second, I had a little black beans and rice. And while I was tempted by my boyfriends cheesy tator tots, I have continued to abstain from dairy and will continue to do so. 

I know that my journey isn't over, but I'm really proud of how far I've come. I feel confident going into my future, knowing now that this lifestyle is possible. Good luck to all those out there starting their whole30 for the first time.

Believe me, It's totally worth it. 

Congrats!  I love the part about self awareness and the fact that making and eating good food is about self respect!  Awesome!

One little thing, make sure when you're reintroducing foods that you're splitting things up.  Beans and rice should be done on separate days because if you did get an upset stomach or rash or headache or whatever else, you would have no idea what did it, beans or non gluten grains.  So just be aware that the reintroduction is meant to be ONE item, the rest of your plate is Whole30 and then you go a few days of Whole30 between to make sure that you've cleared your system before introing the next thing :)  

Really loved this post!

Archived