Whole30 and the Holidays? Did I start at the wrong time?

LauraR

So today is day seven for me on Whole30. I have to admit I started rather impulsively, in a desperate search for spmething to reduce my tummy pain and digestive issues. Though I've been gluten, dairy and soy free for almost two years I continue to have lots of stomach pain and haven't been able to pin down what I'm reacting to. Whole30 was recommended by a Celiac blogger and I was intriqued. And Glory! I have not had any pain or bloating since starting last week. But now I am facing Thanksgiving and my Birthday and will be coming off Whole30 before Christmas. Should I stick it out over the next 23 days or take a few days off? I really don't want to restart in January because I am feeling so much better. Any ideas would appreciated.

• Moderators

We don't encourage people to do Whole30s through major holidays, but some people like the structure to guide them through. You could take time off during family events and then add 30 days to your time and call it a Whole40 or 50. The important thing is to get 30 perfect days in a row at some point so you can experience how good eating clean can be.

LauraR, I will be on day 25 on thanksgiving. I'm doing it. It's just another day and turkey is compliant along with sweet potatoes,etc. Keep going.....would you rather gain weight over the holidays or have successfully gotten through and feel great! I want to start the new year ahead of the game! There are always days/reasons not to stick to it....there are always birthdays, special occasions....if you've started....keep going! :)

Here's the thing that makes me feel like you should keep going: You sought this out specifically because you were sick and in pain, now you have relief from that pain. That, to me, is worth the hassle of making it through Tgiving and your birthday. But the choice is ultimately yours and only you can say whether it was the right one or not :)

I am doing my second Whole 30 and this one will go through Thanksgiving. I've decided to off road it for Christmas because there are a couple of dishes my family and friends are famous for and I've decided to mindfully have them. However, I really don't have the issues that you seem to. In your case, I would totally just simply enjoy some turkey, salad a big sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut manna or cream..heaven. :) Thanksgiving is just another day, another turkey, another excuse to go wild. :)

Thanks so much. I have decided to stick it out just for the reasons you stated. I can't bear to knowingly place myself in pain again. I may need to restart at some point anyway because I just realized I shouldn't have been eating eggs (I have two autoimmune diseases) amd I have still been having a teaspoon of sugar in my tea. I didn't grasp how important it was to eat so completely pure for the whole 30 days. After reading more I see that even those teaspoons are detrimental. Are there any Whole30 dessert recipies that are approved. I have found some Paleo but don't know if they are ok with Whole30. My Mom is very sentimental and will really feel bad if I don't have something to stick my candle in!

Celebrate Thanksgiving being thankful for how wonderful you feel!

Celebrate your birthday by looking forward to a year of feeling well!

Is there ever going to be a thirty days that nothing is going on? That's what I asked myself when I realized my 30 would include my husband's bday, daughter's bday, brother's wedding, thanksgiving and related functions....

Today at work we had a HUGE Thanksgiving staff luncheon. I ate the things I could, enjoyed my friends, and walked away when people walked to the dessert table! I feel too good about where I am to quit now!

Thanks so much. I have decided to stick it out just for the reasons you stated. I can't bear to knowingly place myself in pain again. I may need to restart at some point anyway because I just realized I shouldn't have been eating eggs (I have two autoimmune diseases) amd I have still been having a teaspoon of sugar in my tea. I didn't grasp how important it was to eat so completely pure for the whole 30 days. After reading more I see that even those teaspoons are detrimental. Are there any Whole30 dessert recipies that are approved. I have found some Paleo but don't know if they are ok with Whole30. My Mom is very sentimental and will really feel bad if I don't have something to stick my candle in!

Paleofied desserts are considered Sex With Your Pants On and not Whole 30 compliant, but gosh..nobody wants to see your mom get her feelings hurt. You'll have to make that decision for yourself. Grass fed steak with a candle in it sounds really good to me right now. :)

Paleofied desserts are considered Sex With Your Pants On and not Whole 30 compliant, but gosh..nobody wants to see your mom get her feelings hurt. You'll have to make that decision for yourself. Grass fed steak with a candle in it sounds really good to me right now. :)

You just made me laugh out loud! Ok I get it. My Mom will be happy for me if she knows I am feeling so much better. I've never made a souffle before but that sounds like fun!

It sounds like you are coming around to what many of us have decided. For me, staying Whole30 through the holidays will help me focus more on family and the non-food/drink related gifts of the season. And what better birthday present to you and your mom than feeling great! I did part of my Thanksgiving shopping today and got wine for my mom, beer for my hubby, and Pellegrino for me. (Now nobody tell me if there is something wrong with Pellegrino. I've never had it before, but thought it looked like a nice "special drink" for the holidays.)

It sounds like you are coming around to what many of us have decided. For me, staying Whole30 through the holidays will help me focus more on family and the non-food/drink related gifts of the season. And what better birthday present to you and your mom than feeling great! I did part of my Thanksgiving shopping today and got wine for my mom, beer for my hubby, and Pellegrino for me. (Now nobody tell me if there is something wrong with Pellegrino. I've never had it before, but thought it looked like a nice "special drink" for the holidays.)

San Pellegrino is delish and Whole 30 approved. Toss a cucumber, lemon or strawberry in it and you have a very festive drink.

Archived