Basalmic

jjustice

I feel like a dunce. Balsalmic is on the approved list. For the last 2 weeks I have been asking for balsalmic and olive oil for my salads when I go out or visit my local salad bar(at my local whole foods store) ... I have compliant dressing at home so I haven't needed or used balsalmic at home. My husband went to reach for the balsalmic for something and I realized there is caramel in it. How common is this? Sheesh you can't trust anything...

Jacqueline

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, jjustice said:

I feel like a dunce. Balsalmic is on the approved list. For the last 2 weeks I have been asking for balsalmic and olive oil for my salads when I go out or visit my local salad bar(at my local whole foods store) ... I have compliant dressing at home so I haven't needed or used balsalmic at home. My husband went to reach for the balsalmic for something and I realized there is caramel in it. How common is this? Sheesh you can't trust anything...

Jacqueline

Caramel color is a sneaky sugar and ya, they can put it in a lot of stuff... pretty common, sorry you found out the hard way... that being said, added sulphites are also a huge problem with vinegars so you really need to see the label of the balsamic you're going to eat before you eat it because if sulphites are added, the vinegar is out.  if they are listed as naturally occurring, then it's fine.

Archived