Cajun roux

Bluelady

Flour & butter right? Same as gravy base? You could sub in almond or coconut flour, but the taste will be different. Also, ghee instead of butter. Is this the first step if your gumbo? You may have to go with more if a soup than gumbo. The flavors should be the same. Can you add extra okra? Sometimes the cooked okra will thicken a soup. Gumbo would be hard for me to eat because I usually have it with rice. I'm interested to see what other advice you get. Try to google paleo gumbo and see what comes up.

I've always used flour and oil and make a really dark roux. Typically I do add ocra early in the cooking process and let it cook down, that will help thicken things. I'm about half way through my 30 days and haven't tried any of the approved flours, so I am unfamiliar with how they taste. I did read that someone used arrowroot, (I'm not sure if that is on the approved list) but then I read somewhere else that arrowroot doesn't like high heat. Almond flour may work, I'll look more into that. As far as the rice goes, I'm planning on making my cauliflower rice but will have regular rice available for my guests.

I recently made a gumbo without the roux, and it turned out good. I couldn't find any ocra in my local small town grocery store, so I only used File powder to thicken.

If you properly cooked your roux to a deep chocolate color, it is has lost most of it thickening power anyway and is used mostly for flavor in the gumbo. I will honestly say that I did miss the flavor that the roux does add.

Served over cauliflower rice worked quite well.

Thanks everybody! I'm going to try almond flour and light olive oil for the roux, then maybe add some arrowroot if the ocra doesn't do the job. I'm just hoping that I can get the roux flavor with this combo. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome as I'm not planning on starting anything until friday evening.

Just letting everyone know, the gumbo tasted great! I used lite olive oil and almond flour for the roux. I got a nice "gumbo-ee" taste out of it, but it didn't combine well which made it a bit oily. I skimmed a lot of excess oil during the day long cooking process and came out with a nice gumbo. I used some arrowroot at the end, not because it really needed it but because I made a special trip to buy it. Thanks for the ideas! :)

Archived