Start date Tuesday September 5th

Volcom4em

Hi everyone. I've done two whole thirties already and I love the whole thirty so much. I've gained weight since then and definitely not proud of where I'm at right now. My self control is weak. And my skin isn't as healthy as it used to be. I also have somewhat of an addiction to aspartame, gum and sweet N low. I think a lot of my lack of self control is due to lack of sleep. I'm Committed to a fresh start tomorrow and getting rid of the sugar dragon. Thank you. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also starting today. My daughter got married Saturday, which was basically the cherry-on-top of a summer of somewhat-compliant eating and not-compliant wining. I'm on it today, and like you, am not feeling my best. Where are you located? 

September 5 start date here too!  Got busy this weekend, and didn't do ALL the planning that I planned to do.  Ironic, eh?  I've done a successful whole30 before, so I have a better idea of how it's going to do than the first whole30 I did.

I'm starting today too! And I'm glad all of you are here doing the same. And many veterans...

So, I did one Whole30 before (about 2 years ago) and it was transformational. It definitely improved my eating and lifestyle overall, but I've slowly slid to less awesome eating and living. I started a Whole about 6 months ago wanting to remedy this, but I had a hard time sticking to it, and only made it about two weeks—mostly because of poor planning. Looking back, I wasn't fully prepared to do the second one and should have done it more intentionally and consciously.

This time in doing this Whole30, I am more prepared. I think and hope the biggest differences will be

• (a) I wrote some things down about my reasons, my goals and my outcomes 
  • (b) I'm committing to it here with all of you
  • (c) I signed up for the email of 30 days from Whole30 Daily
  • (d) I have a public calendar in my house to track progress. (Even though, I'm the only one in the house doing it, my husband is supportive and is doing his own self-improvement regimen.)

I'm excited. Let's do this! 

-----

@MMF - I'm in Denver. Where are you?

I started today, too:)   This is my first time. Tired of feeling tired and bloated and not fitting into any of my clothes!

Feels like so many people are repeats and therefore old pros at this. I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed, but hopeful, too.  Thankful to have this forum as a resource.

Hi: I started today too! In Austin, TX. This is, I think, my 5th whole30? I've been doing them roughly once every 10 months. I have some fitness goals in addition to the food plan, and I'm going to try to stay busy doing some new things. Already I'm missing snacks! I'd love one right now but I'll have some tea and hang on until dinner. Good luck everyone!

I've started my second whole 30 today.  I have a major headache which is a sign that I have been eating like crap.  Major sugar addiction and just eating out of sheer boredom.  I learned a lot from my first one but found myself slipping back to old eating habits.  Why do we do that?  

Hi Everyone!

This is my first Whole 30. I attempted one back in February, but my entire family came down with a terrible cold and I was forced to stop and recover while caring for my two very young kids.  In just those two weeks I saw improvements all around in my health.  I've been experimenting with many recipes to keep in my arsenal in prep for a whole 30 and I've finally committed this time around. 

Hi all!

I started Whole30 #6 yesterday. I usually do one about every six months, and have had really great results each time. I work full time and have two kids who are involved in sports, etc so am always busy and I easily fall into 'fast and easy' eating habits.

Since there are so many 'veterans' here... what are some of your go-to recipes?

Looking forward to joining y'all on your journey and sharing inspiration and recipes.

Day 2 and I'm already repeating meals! Taco meat last night was used with eggs this morning and will be on spinach for my lunch :lol:

Feeling tired, but I guess that's normal. And. AND! Someone brought in a gorgeous chocolate cake at work today. Ugh! But, I'm not even that tempted. I swear ;)

Hope everyone is doing alright so far!

Hey everyone I'm also on day 2.  This will be my 2nd Whole30, and I need it so badly.  I hit rock bottom on how bad I felt about myself, how I was feeling, sleeping, weight gain, etc.  I remember how wonderful completing the program was for me the first time, so back at it!  I used Real Plans for meal planning so far.  I felt like garbage last night, splitting headache, but overall pretty good today.  Stay strong everybody!

I started my first Whole30 yesterday and really enjoying the meals I have on the plan so far! A little sluggish today, but overall feeling pretty good.  My husband, a friend and a coworker are doing it too, so it's nice to have people to talk to about it.  Good luck everyone!

RECIPES!

@frogtox I'm glad you asked about recipes, I was just thinking I'd love to hear what other people's are. Here's one of my favorite easy ones for adding a veggie I love to a meal. Plus it reheats well for days to come.

Easy / Yummy Collard Greens
Ingredients:

• 1/2 onion chopped
  • 5 pieces bacon chopped (whole30 approved or if you don't have that you could do some pork or dark meat turkey)
  • 2 cups bone broth (home made preferably or some other whole30 approved)
  • 1 bag frozen chopped collard greens (another bag is fine too)
  • Spices (salt, pepper, some kind of cayenne or other spice if you like)
  • Apple Juice (optional if you want a dash of sweet to mellow it out, of course 100% juice only)

Directions:

1. Saute onions and bacon in heavy pan
  2. Add bone broth, spices and collards
  3. Simmer for 45 mins or so - OR put it all in a crock pot.

Hi Everyone... My name is Mark.  I'm new to the Whole 30, but excited about the journey.  The reason I decided to do the Whole 30 is because I have an awful inner sugar dragon.  I'm in the medical field, so I see a lot of patients with diabetes and I don't want to acquire that disease.  I've started noticing some alarming symptoms within myself that has made me decide to slay that sugar dragon while there's still time.  I actually just finished Day 2 and have had a horrific headache since the end of Day 1.  However, I'm powering through it and not letting it deter me from finishing the plan.  I decided that in addition to giving up sugar that I would also take this opportunity to give up my caffeine dragon as well.  So I'm hopefully going to slay two dragons with one Whole 30!  It's nice to know I have somewhere I can come for support.  I look forward to reading your posts and providing you support as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction.

SusanS likes this

Hi everyone! I'm Maddy, I started my first Whole30 on September 4th! I'm primarily doing it to cut cravings and stop using food as a reward, I travel for work and my diet is fairly good at home but really hits a bad turn when I travel. Lots of stress turns to picking the cheese and bread options when I eat out every time. 

Tomorrow is Day 4 for me, feeling pretty good, just been pretty tired since 3pm today but I did a lot of research before traveling this week of where I could eat so it hasn't been too stressful finding food. 

The start of day 3 and I feel a little sluggish but actually slept a little later than usual.  Makes me again realize how much sugar affects how much I use it for a crutch.  I made sweet potato soup yesterday.  I usually make butternut squash but didn't have a compliant chicken broth.  I have homemade mayonnaise and clarified butter prepped.  I bought ghee last time at the start but didn't really care for it.  I found nutpods a couple of weeks ago at a TJ Maxx if you can believe that.  I'm liking it better than almond milk in my one cup of coffee I allow myself every day.  Not sure about the menu today but have lots of options available as I stocked up at the grocery store.  I have been making scrambled eggs, avocado and some fruit the past few days for breakfast.  I need to prep some lettuce for salad.  I bought brussell sprouts but not sure how I will prepare them.  Last time around I roasted them with sweet potatoes.  I'm retired and like to cook so I have plenty of time....just don't always take the time and grab something quick that is most often a poor choice.  Hope everyone has a good day!

Happy day 3 everyone. So glad to see the enthusiasm and read everyone's reason they're undertaking this journey.  @BadWolf47 I hope your headache is better today and that it's due to the caffeine. During my first round I got headachy and was very lethargic until I was reminded that the meal template is nearly as important as the ingredients. I wasn't getting enough of the right kinds of food during my meals. Once I made sure to have enough fat and carbs I felt so much better!

First timers, remember to read your labels. All of them. Even the ones you've read before. I'm a big time label reader, even off-plan and still find myself surprised at things (my biggest aha was when mid-plan I'd found out the tuna I'd eaten a few days before had soy in it).  Also, never ever cook just one portion. You'll get so sick of cooking by the end you'll be glad you made a few extra portions to stick away in the freezer. :)

Anyway, those are my big pieces of advise. Nice that we have some first timers and some veterans to share perspectives.

@SusanSthank you for sharing that.. definitely worth trying! My very favorite recipe is salmon cakes in the Well Fed cookbook. My kids gobble them up, so I always make a double batch.  @GRivI know what you mean... my lunch today will be the same as the previous two days. Thankfully I don't mind repetition. I usually grill about 5# of chicken on the weekend and cook a giant pork roast every 10 days or so and use it in a ton of different ways when I don't feel like trying a new recipe.

5 hours ago, SusanS said:

@GRiv @mvonhoff @BadWolf47 @LauraW13 @mtex1985 <-- I think you're all 1st timers. I hope your first Whole30 is going well so far. Please post if you're having any challenges you want to talk about! Or when you have successes!

And, all you 2nd, 3+ timers, how's it going for YOU? 

Thanks for the encouragement! Day 4 has been fine for me, some minor cravings for rice, but nothing too difficult yet. 

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is between like 3-5, a time where i would normally get bored and find a snack, I'm not sure what to do with myself because there's nothing really to snack on! Ultimately I'm excited for this because filling time with food is something I'm doing a Whole30 to stop doing but it feels very strange to not reach for food!

It's a tradition each month with my company to celebrate all the monthly birthdays with a big gourmet cake in our management meetings.  This cake is so unbelievably good, and I always look forward to that meeting.  Today I sat on the 1st chair of one of the outside rows... it was my job to pass all the plates of cake down my row.  It was a temptation doing that, but not nearly as bad as all the people around me eating it.  I was proud of myself that I abstained and as a result, ended Day 3 successfully!  Yay ME!

Archived