Start date Tuesday September 5th

Volcom4em

3 hours ago, mvonhoff said:

Thanks for the encouragement! Day 4 has been fine for me, some minor cravings for rice, but nothing too difficult yet. 

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is between like 3-5, a time where i would normally get bored and find a snack, I'm not sure what to do with myself because there's nothing really to snack on! Ultimately I'm excited for this because filling time with food is something I'm doing a Whole30 to stop doing but it feels very strange to not reach for food!

@mvonhoff I agree.. it feels very strange for me not to snack also.  Before Whole 30 I tried to eat something every 3 hours.  Only eating 3 meals a day is taking some getting used to!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BadWolf47 said:

It's a tradition each month with my company to celebrate all the monthly birthdays with a big gourmet cake in our management meetings.  This cake is so unbelievably good, and I always look forward to that meeting.  Today I sat on the 1st chair of one of the outside rows... it was my job to pass all the plates of cake down my row.  It was a temptation doing that, but not nearly as bad as all the people around me eating it.  I was proud of myself that I abstained and as a result, ended Day 3 successfully!  Yay ME!

Great job bouncing back with good decisions. :D

IMG_5589.gif?format=300w

1 hour ago, BadWolf47 said:

@mvonhoff I agree.. it feels very strange for me not to snack also.  Before Whole 30 I tried to eat something every 3 hours.  Only eating 3 meals a day is taking some getting used to!

Exactly...like I could eat more...but its almost not that fun anymore haha

Happy day 4 everyone! Good job fighting off temptation. 

This week was the first week of school. Coupled with that new routine, getting up at 5 every morning to work out and starting a Whole30... well, I'm riding the struggle bus today. At least it's friday :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Happy Day 4! So far so good for me, except that I got my period today (BOO :angry:) Im feeling a bit foggy at work.  Any tips for battling the feeling of depletion this next week of my cycle?

Meals have been great, but with two little boys Im finding Im spending so much time in the kitchen and not playing with them in the evenings so this weekend Im going to do a lot more prep to make things easier on myself during the busy work week.  Ive been fortunate in that my parents and in laws both have amazing vegetable gardens and have given me lots of fresh produce to use.  

Also, my order of Pumpkin Spice Nutpods arrive today, so I'll enjoy a nice cup of coffee on the soccer field tomorrow morning! :) 

On 9/7/2017 at 11:00 AM, SusanS said:

@GRiv @mvonhoff @BadWolf47 @LauraW13 @mtex1985 <-- I think you're all 1st timers. I hope your first Whole30 is going well so far. Please post if you're having any challenges you want to talk about! Or when you have successes!

And, all you 2nd, 3+ timers, how's it going for YOU? 

Thanks @SusanS !  It's been a bit rough like so many others are sharing.  We have one of those offices with free snacks and candy and monthly birthday celebration.  And my two kids add a challenge since they won't eat what we're eating (I know, this is a separate battle, and let's not even talk about the McDonald's drive-thru I did for them last night, but I swear I didn't even taste one fry!). I don't know if I'm more tired from the lack of sugar or the extra work making meals which I'm not used to doing. Need to plan and prep ahead this weekend for next week.  

But still sticking to it and still excited, jope everyone else is, too!

Ps @BadWolf47 I can't believe you gave up coffee, too.  Impressive!

I really experienced the KILL ALL THE THINGS phase! I didn't remember that from my previous Whole30, but it was so long ago -- who knows?!

This weekend I slept A LOT!  Yesterday (day 6), my body was feeling happier, I'm glad to have made it through the grouchy phase.

Here's the calendar, for all those that haven't seen it, I enjoy looking at it -- Whole30 Timeline / Calendar

Happy day 7! Weekend was great, even though we had family visiting -- they just got to eat compliant food along with me and my husband! I got outdoors a lot because the weather is finally bearable (in Austin), so that helped. SusanS: I'm glad you included the timeline -- we have the hardest days coming up this week, so everyone hang in there! Had mashed cauliflower/parsnips last night with braised meet and gravy. Cut up vegs, boil separately until fork-tender, drain thoroughly, mash together. Can heat up later with compliant chicken broth and olive oil (or ghee), salt & pepper.

@SusanS I experienced that too... my poor family on Saturday. :wacko: I'm also feeling super run down. I got up early for my workout but got only halfway done before sitting on the floor in front of the TV and "stretching" til it was time to shower and leave for work. 

We had a soccer tournament all weekend, so I didn't get to shop/prep. I've got a pretty good idea of the next couple days but mid-week I might be behind and scrambling. Although, we're processing a bunch of meat chickens on Thursday so that would make a good meal.... 

Hang in there everyone. :)

I have a headache today and it's pretty bad. I think it's from my 1 year old waking up at 3am and me not falling back asleep until 5.

This weekend was good with prepping, eating.  I made a breakfast egg roll recipe from food blogger I love and it was so good! So Ive got that for breakfast a few days, lunches are leftovers of roasted veggies and chicken thighs.  Planning to make dump ranch tonight for some salad options.  I made a Costco run this weekend so my fridge is stocked. I'm feeling confident I can get through this!! 

I made it through the weekend but just barely.  Football season and tailgating is a challenge.  Thankfully, I put a roast in the crockpot with vegetables Saturday morning before I left for the game so I had that to look forward to in the evening.  I packed my own food but was greeted by our son with 2 Apple fried pies, a loaf of peach bread and a bag of Chex mix with m&ms.  My husband ate the pies and the Chex mix and the peach bread went in the freezer.  

I made mashed cauliflower today, steamed some shrimp and boiled some eggs to have on hand.  We're in GA so have been under a tropical storm watch.  Wind and rain has been bad so unable to walk.  Still have electricity but tried to prep cold things just in case.  Over a million in the state without electricity.  Lots of trees down and roads not safe for travel.  Trying to stay busy as I tend to eat when bored.  

I guess I am going to have to bow out this round and am super disappointed, but figure my reasons are valid.

So, I did a couple of Whole30's a few years ago and never felt better.  I've never gone back to gluten or dairy at all.  

Then, I had an appendectomy, and the surgeon screwed up, so I developed severe abdominal adhesions.  Two years ago, I was rushed to the emergency room with a complete bowel obstruction due to those adhesions.  I spent eight hours in the ER before anybody would even look at me, and then, after the surgery during which 6 ft. of necrotic small intestine was removed, the anesthesiologist told me, "You should have gotten here sooner!  Your family was almost visiting you in the morgue instead of the hospital!"  Five weeks after that, I was back in the ER with another obstruction, but that one was thankfully non-surgical.

I have had trouble with digestion, and lots of pain ever since.  For over a year I would have periods of time where I could not have anything but clear fluids for 3-4 days at a time.  However, I have worked hard and thought I was ready for a Whole30 now.  I still can't digest raw vegetables well but was not having so much restrictive pain.  I thought I'd just cook my vegetables and be fine.

However, the past few days I'm having a lot more restrictive pain, the same kind that signaled my first obstruction, so I'm not able to eat complete meals.  I can't even take my vitamins right now.  I definitely can't follow the template.  Last night I was able to eat one meatball for dinner, and this morning breakfast was tea with collagen peptides.

I'll keep doing the best I can, when I can, but I'm sad that I can't regain that Tiger Blood yet.  I wish all of you the best!

@EmilyB456 wow, you've been through quite a bit. I hope you get better quickly! 

@mtex1985 I would love to see that recipe!

@pilatesfan that sounds brutal, but good job hanging through all those temptations. My husband booked a dinner cruise this weekend with friends, not remembering that I can't eat out and can't drink alcohol, so that will be interesting!

On 9/11/2017 at 1:25 PM, mtex1985 said:

I have a headache today and it's pretty bad. I think it's from my 1 year old waking up at 3am and me not falling back asleep until 5.

This weekend was good with prepping, eating.  I made a breakfast egg roll recipe from food blogger I love and it was so good! So Ive got that for breakfast a few days, lunches are leftovers of roasted veggies and chicken thighs.  Planning to make dump ranch tonight for some salad options.  I made a Costco run this weekend so my fridge is stocked. I'm feeling confident I can get through this!! 

I am curious about your breakfast egg roll recipe too!

good morning everyone! Here is the egg roll breakfast recipe.  https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/breakfast-egg-roll-bowl-paleo-whole30/

SusanS Im not dreaming about food, I'm thinking about sweet treats during my waking hours! I don't know what's worse!

Day 10 and feeling good. Breakfast is an omelette I made with leftover wedge potatoes, prosciutto, and spinach. Lunch is a can of tuna w/ romaine wedge lettuce with tomato and cucumber w/ dump ranch.  Lastly, I'm making grilled mojo pork tenderloin, cilantro lime cauliflower rice and sautéed spinach for dinner tonight. Should have enough for lunch tomorrow too and maybe fry up an egg with it for breakfast. 

mtex are you in Texas? If so, I'll be there for dinner! I'm getting a little bored with breakfast so today I had leftover soup with sausage chopped up into it. Not bad! It's this one: https://paleoleap.com/creamy-zucchini-mushroom-soup/. I make a ton of it because it keeps really well. It's so filling. It feels really good getting to day 10. No increase in energy yet, and my sleep is terrible, but I know I'm on the right track and the time I've invested so far will be worth it in another few days. We're on the hardest days now, right? Let's push through! How is everyone else doing?

We're a third of the way through! I'm feeling pretty good, and have a ton more energy and am less irritable than just a couple days ago. Thakns for the recipe @mtex1985 it looks yummy!

I'm the only one on my hallway this lunchtime... everyone went on a team building lunch. I didn't know about it til about half an hour before everyone was leaving so didn't really have time to think about whether I could go or not so I'm sitting here eating day 4 of salmon cakes and spaghetti squash and actually enjoying the quiet. :)

I had to change up the eggs for breakfast yesterday.  I had roasted a chicken from the night before so sliced some chicken, mashed cauliflower and some fruit.  Made a chopped salad with the chicken for lunch.  Dinner was shrimp and butternut squash soup.  Not sure I'm getting enough fat but I'm satisfied.  Weekends are the hardest for me.  Thankfully, no home football game  this weekend so I don't have that challenge.  Husband wanted nachos and tacos from Taco Bell last night.  Had to walk away from the table with that....just couldn't watch him eat it.  He's a junk eater and I don't think this late in the game I'm going to change it.  Have a great and compliant weekend!

I am a first timer, and started on Sept. 5., so I'm on Day 11 now.   I have always been a sweetaholic, and I knew I needed to do something fast.  I have been avoiding bread for a while now, since it gave me terrible heartburn.  I've been drinking lactose free milk for years now, since regular milk bothered me. Everything seemed to be bothering me!  I would sneeze, and sound like I had a cold for about 10 minutes after eating most meals.  I rarely had a good sleep, and even exercising didn't help that.  I was a mess!  So I really didn't have anything to lose by trying this plan!

I did have a four day headache the first week, but that is gone now.  I am at the point, that I don't want to eat anything off the plan, since every part of me is feeling better.  I am getting a little bored with my meals, and eggs and vegetables are not appealing to me anymore.  I know I need to get more creative, but today nothing looks good.  Tomorrow is a new day!

On ‎09‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, stone house said:

mtex are you in Texas? If so, I'll be there for dinner! I'm getting a little bored with breakfast so today I had leftover soup with sausage chopped up into it. Not bad! It's this one: https://paleoleap.com/creamy-zucchini-mushroom-soup/. I make a ton of it because it keeps really well. It's so filling. It feels really good getting to day 10. No increase in energy yet, and my sleep is terrible, but I know I'm on the right track and the time I've invested so far will be worth it in another few days. We're on the hardest days now, right? Let's push through! How is everyone else doing?

hehe I am not, Stone House. Im  from CT where the days are starting to get cooler so comfort meals are my fave!  We are all doing so well!

Planning to grocery shop after work to gather everything I need for prepping this weekend. The menu for the coming week is:

Paleo/Whole30 chili

Chorizo, carmelized onion, sweet potato crust frittata

Salmon cakes

Crockpot Buffalo Chicken

I'll also bake some sweet potatoes for the chili and buffalo chicken, make ranch again, salad for the frittata and salmon cakes, roasted veg (brussel sprouts, green beans, carrots and sweet potatoes)

If for some reason I run out of food (gosh I hope not!) I'll plan to hard boil some eggs and we can always make a quick meal w/ grilled steaks and veg/salad or fish. 

I've found that planning ahead helps me to not constantly be thinking about food and whether I will have enough for the next day or two. I have a plan. And my plan will be successful, because Im DETERMINED to be successful!! For context I've made all of these recipes already and they are a huge hit in my family, which makes the prep that much easier!

3 hours ago, readbks2 said:

I am a first timer, and started on Sept. 5., so I'm on Day 11 now.   I have always been a sweetaholic, and I knew I needed to do something fast.  I have been avoiding bread for a while now, since it gave me terrible heartburn.  I've been drinking lactose free milk for years now, since regular milk bothered me. Everything seemed to be bothering me!  I would sneeze, and sound like I had a cold for about 10 minutes after eating most meals.  I rarely had a good sleep, and even exercising didn't help that.  I was a mess!  So I really didn't have anything to lose by trying this plan!

I did have a four day headache the first week, but that is gone now.  I am at the point, that I don't want to eat anything off the plan, since every part of me is feeling better.  I am getting a little bored with my meals, and eggs and vegetables are not appealing to me anymore.  I know I need to get more creative, but today nothing looks good.  Tomorrow is a new day!

I'm also a first timer.  I found the headache came from needing more fat or starchy veg.  And I bet you will come to find what is truly making you feel ill once you begin (if you do) reintroduction.  I would be happy to share some of my recipes with you if you would like some ideas! Many of the ones I have on my pinterest board I've tried, I usually only pin ones that I know I will make. I also get bored very easily so I know what you mean.  I've shared my template of next weeks menu, feel free to let me know if anything sounds appealing :) 

Archived