8/7 start Reintroduction

Karen L

Hi all!  Just wanted to start our page for the reintroduction, and to continue our support post W30.  As for me, I'm going to continue on the program, except for those special occasions (called the slow reintroduction).  Would love the continued support!  WE MADE IT!!!

We are starting reintro tomorrow. I'm going to start with gluten-free grains. I am quite looking forward to it. My husband hasn't fared well on this plan and is anxious to include more carbs. Both of us have tamed the sugar monster which in itself is amazing! I'm thankful he did this with me as I'm not sure I could have alone. I look forward to reading everyone's intro stories. @Karen L Thanks for starting this group!

I have a confession to make. My boyfriend, who lives across the country from me in San Francisco, is coming to NY for a visit next Thursday. When I looked back at the Reintroduction schedule in the Whole30 book this weekend to prepare, I realized that the reintroduction process would last until the day he leaves at least. I didn't want to add stress or a regimented eating routine to his visit, and so I decided I would truncate the reintroduction, taking only 1 day of Whole30 eating between each reintroduction day instead of the recommended 2+. 

However, I have had a change of heart. It made me sad to think I wouldn't really know 100% how each eliminated food group affects me if I don't give it enough time to affect me and then clear out of my system before introducing another food group. And that seemed like it would have rendered the past 30 days of hard work a waste. Well, okay, not a TOTAL waste, because of course, many good things have come from it, but I'm such a nerd about data that to tarnish my own experiment seemed like a shame. Also, more and more I've been thinking that I want to continue eating like this for the long run. Maybe I'll add a glass of wine or a beer or two every once in awhile and relax my ingredient policing when I eat out, but, for the most part, I'd like to eat in a Whole30-compliant way. Not only is it because of how I feel now, which is vastly different from how I felt when I wasn't being mindful about what I put in my body, but it's also because the more I read about nutrition, the more I'm convinced that this is so necessary. I see the awful outcomes of my parents' diet unfolding every day now, and I can't let that happen to me. I may not be able to stop the effects of aging, but I can thwart some of the lifestyle-related conditions and complications that only get worse with time. I ain't going down like that. 

So now I am about to sit down with a calendar and re-plan out my reintroduction schedule. Hm. Or maybe I'll wait until tomorrow night and do it over MY FIRST GLASS OF RED WINE IN A MONTH!!!!!! 

My man will just have to deal with all of my delicious, home-cooked, nutrient-dense meals, and the fact that I won't be drinking. I think he'll live. :) 

Yay!  Good for you.  @invinciblechar   It IS a lifestyle now so everyone else will have to get used to it!  It's finally "easier".  I love trying all the new recipes I'm finding.  Eating creamy bacon and avocado zucchini noodles right now. SO good!  I found a nice chocolate chili recipe to make this weekend (yes 100% cocoa powder only).

Sooooo... got on the scale this morning.  I know they suggest we wait, but I couldn't wait any more!  Down 7.5 pounds total.  Not the 15 I was crazily hoping for, but 7.5 isn't too bad for a month.  More to come.  I have another 40-45 I'd like to lose.  And I don't want to rush it, so I'm fine if it takes another 6 months.  It will stay off that way.

Red wine tonight for sure.  Cheers!  

I thought they meant wait until the end of the 30 days to weigh/measure/take pics. Well, even if they didn't, that's what I did! I did all of that this morning. Down 5.8 pounds, and reduced all of the measurements I took, including 2.5" from my waist!! I didn't want to get bummed if the numbers weren't as impressive as I had hoped, so I made myself write down all my nonscale victories before stepping on the scale. I gotta say, there were a TON!

Great job, @Karen L !! I'm with you, I'm happy to take my time shedding weight this time around. I haven't even really thought of a goal number. I guess I don't really have one. I just want to be happy in my own skin again. I have some more work to do to get to that point. But in the meantime, I'm a lot more confident with how I look now than when we started. I will take it!

Just an observation about dairy choices on my dairy reintroduction day... in all the rows and rows of yogurts in the grocery store, I was able to find one and only one option that was plain (no flavor/no added sugar) and used whole milk. It's pretty delicious! 

I'm still dreaming about noncompliance. I ate McDonald's in my dream and then was full of guilt/shame.

I hope reintroductions are going well!

Archived