Headache after vinegar + no BMs for days

mad325

Hi there,

First time posting on the forums, though I've been reading them daily! I'm on day 16, and I'm having two issues:

a) Last night, I had the most horrible thumping headache while I slept and when I woke up. The only ingredient that I haven't used for the past 15 days that I had last night was some white vinegar (in a broccoli slaw, along with a turkey burger, half an avocado, and grilled red peppers). I'm guessing that was the culprit, but I'd love some validation on that.

B) I've just not been BMing much since starting this diet. I go on average once every three days, and that's a struggle. I drink tons of water and walk regularly. Sweet potatoes and high fiber veggies are very much a constant for me. I never had this problem before the diet. Any thoughts?

If you're having sweet potatoes daily - then I might suggest a digestive enzyme. Now has a good digestive enzyme that is compliant. Not sure about the headache. Hmmm... maybe list the ingredients in the vinegar? Cut it out of your diet for now - and then maybe try it on the last day to see if you get a headache again (i.e, double check that the vinegar is the culprit). It may turn out that it was a non-food related factor that caused your headache.

Congrats on being more than half way there!!!!

• Moderators

I would be surprised if the vinegar were a problem, but I guess the only way to know for sure would be to cook with some again and see if you get another headache.

I can't imagine not having a bowel movement every day, especially when eating lots of veggies. Were you eating protein and fat before you started your Whole30? I wonder if you need a digestive enzyme like Now Foods Super Enzymes to help you digest what you are eating more efficiently?

I've got the BM issue as well...although this has been a problem for pretty much as long as I can remember, I was kind of hoping that the whole30 would make things a bit more regular.

I'm drinking water and herbal tea and eating plenty of sweet potatoes...I've kind of just resigned myself to it?

Magnesium will aid with elimination. It also helps you get to sleep. I recommend it about an hour before bedtime.

Start with a small amount -- too much will have an opposite effect and loose BMs are no fun.

You can also take a bath with Epsom salts; they contain Mag as well and it's absorbed through your skin.

Thanks, all! I may have to try the magnesium.

As someone who sparingly ate meat prior to this, I tried the NOW enzymes, but they gave me such a stomachache (with no result) that I'm hesitant to keep going with them. Is that known as a common initial side effect of enzymes?

I'm having BM issues as well, since starting whole 30 on 8-24-12.

I go daily, but food to BM ratio is poor.

I have lost 25 lbs in 3 months of strict paleo.

I weigh 274 now, I take NOW digestives, Natures Calm Mag every night with a heaping tsp of Metamusil. Still the urge for a BM is usually forced.

I'm using a good pro-biotic, tried sauerkraut, I'm active, drink water.

I track my cal intake on My Fitness Pal with 2450 cal per day, 60-70% fat, 20-30% protein, 10-15% carbs.

I have not loss any weight in 3 weeks...... BM are minimal

Any ideas?

Archived