Reintroducing Fatty, Salty, Sugary Treats

KatieJaneThomas

Today is Day 30 of my first Whole30. I definitely want to do some reintroducing even though I love the Whole30 way of eating and will probably eat like this most days from now on.

I don't really care much about any of the eliminated food groups enough to want to add them back to my life daily. I'm more interested in: coffee with milk and whipped cream, seasoned french fries with ranch dressing, cake and icing, pralines and cream ice cream. I really just want to see what it would be like to indulge in those 4 treats every once in awhile. And maybe some bread. 

Does anyone have advice on doing my re-introduction in the context of my "treat foods" rather than the prescribed re-intro method? I don't feel a need at this time to test beans, dairy, gluten, etc. all individually since if I go off plan, it is definitely going to be one of the treats on my list, not a side of peanut butter or beans.

If one thing's for sure, I'm NOT adding back sugar on the daily. I will be scouring labels and only indulging when it is delicious. I'm also thinking I want these foods to show up in my life as a nice chance to indulge - I don't want to go out seeking them. So, I plan on being delighted at how all of a sudden something is available as an indulgence and how that makes me feel emotionally as part of the re-introduction process.

Thanks for any input people have. 

• Administrators

The point of introducing the items as food groups (eg, dairy) is because it's only by introducing those things separately that you'll be able to tell if they affect you. Say you eat cake and icing which has dairy and wheat in it. And then you feel absolutely horrible. Which was it, the dairy or the wheat? What if you could have the cake but no icing? Or maybe ice cream is fine but cake is just not worth it.

You can do whatever you want but the point is to determine what is and isn't worth it to you. If you figure that you love these things enough to not even care about how you might feel after, then go for it. If you do want some data about yourself and how you react with food, do the measured reintroductions first. 

Thank you so much Ladyshanny for this great response. That is exactly what I thought. I think I will do the measured re-introductions after a second round of Whole30s and for now just tackle some decadent but delicious treats.

That's the best thing about this program is how personal it is and how no matter what - no one can do this for us so in the end there's the freedom. Absolute and total freedom.

Will definitely take it slow though, I'll tell you that much. 

Archived