anyone starting Sept 11???

Margot

Anyone out there starting Sept 11??? Ready to tackle this head on and would love some fellow whole 30'ers as accountability and motivational partners! Time to stop making excuses and make some positive changes!!! College kids and hurricanes has = emotional eating and it's time to take back control:ph34r: Goals for my whole 30: *better digestive health *more energy *lose some inches *control over my emotional eating....who's with me??? what are your goals???

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 7 year old and I are starting September 10. I was always a skinny bones and could eat anything until I was 35, and it was all downhill from there. I continued to eat the way I did before my metabolism flipped me the bird, and 20 years and an extra 80 pounds later it's time to stop. I need to reset my body to stop craving sugar and carbs, and I'd like to live long enough and be healthy enough to watch my two youngest girls walk down the aisle. I'm also tired of being tired, and I'm sick of my belly sticking out so far I look pregnant. 

My youngest daughter is my main motivation. She LOVES sweets, but she honestly doesn't eat that much junk. The problem is that she is the most active kid I know; cheer 3 times a week, karate 3 times a week, dance 3 times a week all at an hour each of really strenuous activity, plus she rides her bike or goes swimming every single day. But at only 7 years old she is nearly 20 pounds overweight. I'm sick of her doctor giving me the third degree, we've been to a nutritionist, and all medical reasons for her weight have been ruled out. I told the doctor that we might just have to accept the fact that she has genetics against her because her biological mother and all the females in her family are obese, and although we don't know much about her biological father, we're fairly certain he is also likely short and round.

Whole30 is my last ditch effort to prove to the doctor that she can eat healthy, but she is likely never going to be thin or even average. My goal for her is the same as mine; to reset her body and wean her from carb and sugar cravings. I don't see us doing this for the long term because the idea of cutting out dairy and soy is the hardest thing for us, but if the 30 days can help get us on track who knows what we'll do in a month. 

I totally get the emotional eatingthing. I retired in January and all of the stress and boredom eating that I did when I was working has stopped. Try to find something else you love to do that is easy and involves your hands. Knitting, coloring, drawing, crossword puzzles, and things like that can help relax your mind and keep your hands busy so you aren't reaching for the chips. Maybe make scrapbooks to give to your kids for Christmas since they're the reason you're feeling restless. That way you can look at their sweet faces in those pictures and have a really cool present to give them as a bonus! Feel like baking? Instead of eating those cookies, pack them up and send care packages to those college kids. They will LOVE them, and you can enjoy the activity without indulging in the calories. Sorry this is such a long response, but your post touched a spot in my heart because I remember how I felt when my first one went off into the world. For the record, I still miss her every day. You'll be fine, Margot. Good luck!

I am starting Monday as well. The last week has been spent reading "It Starts With Food" and tons of articles on the website. We already eat mostly whole, real foods but it does include whole grains, legumes, and coconut sugar. I think I am ready but the hardest part will be feeding our three sons and husband whom are not doing this first Whole30 with me. If it goes well, I hope to get them all onboard for a January 1st Whole30.

I comfort eat throughout the day, big time. I love quiet moments to myself, which I don't get often homeschooling three boys, and enjoy snacking while I read. My energy come morning after late night, unhealthy snacks is very low. I also need to get my hormones in check. Whole30 seems like the absolute best place to start. My body really needs a reset.

Good luck, Margot!

I am with you all.  I tried starting last week, thinking Incould do a "relaxed" approach....you know, just a little bit of goat cheese in the salad....etc.  DOES NOT WORK FOR ME, at least not until I have finished 30 or longer...I am at the top of my weight range and feel tired a lot of the time.  I want to lose the pounds, but mostly want to just FEEL BETTER....those famous NSVs!  My husband likes to eat cleanly also, but he has enormous discipline, grrrrr...so he won't protest when I work the program, although I will make some slight changes for his dishes....like adding cheese at the end...but not on mine.  My biggest challenges are the hour or so when I get home from work.  Hubs  pours wine (I do kombucha on my 30) but I am also inclined to snack on nuts then....which is another thing that did me in last week....cashews from Costco are roasted in peanut oil...non compliant!!

so, need to go buy ghee and a crap ton of veggies to make this work.  LAdy49er, your post really touched my heart.  How great that you are in it for your daughter and giving her a shot at a better relationship with her body and well being.  BRAVO to both of her.  Tell her I think she ROCKS!!!

let.s go, Margot, Sytera and Lady....this will be a GREAT chance to learn and be strong.

This looks like an awesome thread. I would love to join in. I have done this before and sometimes unmake it to the end and other times I cave! No wine and cheese is super hard for me. My joints are achy so I want to fine tune what works for me. Good luck everyone. 

I have a senior in high school and 2 in college and this a stressful time for me! 

Good luck to all. 

Hi! I am starting tomorrow (Sept 11...I am sucker for Monday start days lol). I once tried Whole30 a couple years ago but was ill prepared, was living with my parents and did not have enough $$ to buy the food. Now, I have the time and resources to commit to the no-excuses kick in the butt I need to meet my health goals: i want to lose inches and pounds, feel less bloated, feel more confident in my appearance (the bloating makes me feel preggers), less oily skin, improve performance in my running plan, get less winded during fitness classes like zumba, have fewer PMS symptoms and just feel better about myself and my ability to manage my cravings. I really hope to find and practice better ways of managing stress that do NOT involve inhaling cookies, fried food, pizza, chocolate, ice cream and the list goes on. I want to get on the journey towards food freedom. 

Hey all! So happy to see I'll have some company this month!!! 

TODAY IS IT! FOR REAL!! DAY 1!!!

I've made it through the first hour successfully,lol...yay me, right? According to the timeline today is "no big deal" day.  I disagree.  Maybe it's because I have tried and failed a few times??? Gonna have to let all that go and start fresh :rolleyes:!!

Cheers to you all this morning! Looking forward to hearing how your day goes!!! 

Hi! I'm Meagan. I'm starting my second round of Whole30 today! My last was two years ago, but I didn't do reintroduction. 

I'm a brand new grad student, working full time with part time school. I'm training for a half marathon. I am starting a student organization and working with others on a research project with faculty. Needless to say, I am very busy. However, I also have hashimoto's thyroiditis and protecting my health is number one to me. So here I am. 

Good Luck you all! I am excited to be on this journey with you. 

Breakfast went well - last night I prepped, so it made it so much easier and faster. I am lucky I don't drink milk or coffee, so it was the usual beautiful morning of green tea (no additives or flavoring) for me. Hubs does drink coffee, so he had it black. He says, "It's alright. It's not killing me." :rolleyes:

A note - my husband hunts (for food, not for sport) and we eat venison (deer). Well, he took some of it to the meat processor to be made into sausage which I thought would be amazing with his eggs (I don't eat eggs), our avocado and sweet potato; like a hash. Well, last night I was slicing the sausage and I saw it had spices. It smelled amazing, of course, but I was thinking, "Hmmm this seems like SUMMER sausage." Summer sausage has sugar in it and the spices they use - I don't know if they're Whole 30 compliant. Had a total, "OH NO!" moment. Hubs called the place this morning and confirmed - they add sugar. So these beautiful sausages are out for our Whole 30. I'm so bummed. A word to everyone - we usually process our own meat, but this one time it was easier to have the processor do sausages. If you hunt/forage - indicate to your processor NO SUGAR or anything else in what they make for you.

I'll be using venison steaks and chopping them finely for some of our breakfasts going forward. Pictured is hubs' first Whole30 - for myself I fried an egg really, really hard and ate, aka choked down the white (I HATE eggs). Adjustments being made going forward. 

Hope everyone is having a great start to the morning!

Whole30meal.jpg

Yay for all if you starting today! MiniMe and I started yesterday, and it was ahhhh-MAZING!!! Breakfast is easy because both of us love banana and almond milk smoothies, and we added cocoa powder yesterday and strawberries today. Lunch was some really yummy chicken apple sausage eaten cold with sweet peppers and pistachios. I set it up like a charcuterie tray (minus cheese, of course!), so it was more interesting. She and I were able to have "football snacks" while Daddy and Sissy ate their junk. But guess what ... they wanted what we were having! What???? Healthy family eating?? Whoa! Dinner was the most amazing Whole30 compliant Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana. Daddy and Sissy also had small plates of pasta, but MiniMe and I stuck to our guns. Neither of us got hungry all day. 

Proud Momma moment: MiniMe and her sister were over at a friend's house most of the day. They were making YouTube videos and decided to do a candy challenge. The mom took them to the dollar store for candy, and MiniMe politely declined everything. The mom knew about her diet and was texting and asking me if she could have gum or anything, but of course that's out. She bought her a little toy instead since she's couldn't have candy. Yay for fellow mom support!!! Super proud of my little one being so dedicated to this. 

I also started the Whole30 this morning. So far so good, just drinking my coffee. I did a lot of meal prep last night, following the first week meal plan in the Whole30 book. I made the spinach frittata, which is awesome because I usually burn stuff like this! I'm excited to get home and try my hand at making some compliant coleslaw.

Looking forward to doing the 30 days with you all. :) Hopefully my good mood holds up!

Frittata.jpg

Hi everyone!
Great to see so many people starting at a similar time! Today is day one for me of my second round, having completed my first whole30 through the month of June. It has honestly been life changing! I don't think there are enough words to describe how amazing it has been for my health. It's been about so much more than losing weight but I can't deny the impact the weight loss has had for my confidence. Since day zero of my round one I have lost 15.5cm from round my middle and I have achieved things over the summer that I simply couldn't have done before Whole30. I feel fitter and stronger and happier and generally can't tell you how impactful this next 30 days is going to be for you all! I am doing round 2 following having been on holiday and having eaten loads of things that I hadn't been eating. I don't regret having loosened up on what I was eating on holiday but my body is telling me it is time to reset so here I am. I have PCOS and I am hopeful that a 2nd round will bring even more improvement in my symptoms which have come back a bit since my holiday!

Anyway, lovely to meet you all and looking forward to walking this road with you. How are you all finding your first day?

2 minutes ago, Lady49er said:

Day 1 was so amazing, but I feel like I'm going to pass out right now. Had the same breakfast as yesterday and wasn't hungry til noon, but it's only 10:00 and I feel gross. I know you're not supposed to snack, but I really think I need some raisins or nuts. Gah!

Hi Lady49er! Are you just having the smoothie for breakfast? If you are it seems to me like you are missing out on the recommended protein sources or meat/fish/eggs. I know that almonds do contain protein but not to the same quantities as you will find in meat/fish/eggs. I am in no way an expert but I would imagine this could be part of why you are hungry? 

4 hours ago, Lady49er said:

Yay for all if you starting today! MiniMe and I started yesterday, and it was ahhhh-MAZING!!! Breakfast is easy because both of us love banana and almond milk smoothies, and we added cocoa powder yesterday and strawberries today. Lunch was some really yummy chicken apple sausage eaten cold with sweet peppers and pistachios. I set it up like a charcuterie tray (minus cheese, of course!), so it was more interesting. She and I were able to have "football snacks" while Daddy and Sissy ate their junk. But guess what ... they wanted what we were having! What???? Healthy family eating?? Whoa! Dinner was the most amazing Whole30 compliant Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana. Daddy and Sissy also had small plates of pasta, but MiniMe and I stuck to our guns. Neither of us got hungry all day. 

Proud Momma moment: MiniMe and her sister were over at a friend's house most of the day. They were making YouTube videos and decided to do a candy challenge. The mom took them to the dollar store for candy, and MiniMe politely declined everything. The mom knew about her diet and was texting and asking me if she could have gum or anything, but of course that's out. She bought her a little toy instead since she's couldn't have candy. Yay for fellow mom support!!! Super proud of my little one being so dedicated to this. 

I thought smoothies were discouraged as well as cocoa powder as a sweetener? It's only allowed for meat rubs, no?

@HopingtoHeal so far, so good. But daytime is always easy for me and it's Day 1 so I am super motivated :lol:. It's night-time that gets tough. My sweet tooth hits then I get hungry at night. Since I'm eating three meals a day now (I usually skip breakfast and lunch I sort of graze), I'm hoping that it helps. I made the chicken cacciatore for lunch today and it was really good. I diced my own tomatoes because I couldn't find diced tomatoes with Calcium Chloride - though I've read after my shopping trip it's okay on Whole30. I also only used 2 tablespoons for cooking fat instead of 4 tablespoons and it was fine.

chickencaccitore.jpg

22 minutes ago, HeatherW-V said:

@HopingtoHeal so far, so good. But daytime is always easy for me and it's Day 1 so I am super motivated :lol:. It's night-time that gets tough. My sweet tooth hits then I get hungry at night. Since I'm eating three meals a day now (I usually skip breakfast and lunch I sort of graze), I'm hoping that it helps. I made the chicken cacciatore for lunch today and it was really good. I diced my own tomatoes because I couldn't find diced tomatoes with Calcium Chloride - though I've read after my shopping trip it's okay on Whole30. I also only used 2 tablespoons for cooking fat instead of 4 tablespoons and it was fine.

chickencaccitore.jpg

Great stuff! We love that chicken cacciatore recipe! We have it quite a lot but we use chicken breast because I'm not great with legs and thighs! We have added kale and black olives to it in the past too - yummy!

I find evenings are my vulnerable time too, but I did discover that often I'm not actually hungry and it's about boredom! 

@HopingtoHeal - thanks. Agreed. Boredom! I work from home so it's easy to stay in and do nothing. Instead, I am going to go for walks and jogs. I don't care for olives, but will definitely try it with kale. I also prefer the breasts and will use those next time - I tried the legs since they were organic and the recipe called for it, but I do think I'll like it the other way better. Thanks for the tip!

Hi everyone - I'm starting today too. This is my second Whole30. First was great, in July. But I didn't do re-introduction properly and slid down a wall of birthday cake so am back! Moderation does not work for me in certain food categories so looking to reset again. I got Food Freedom Forever on audio book which is really cool, like Melissa is talking to me :) Good luck everyone!

My breakfast was a dud but I choked it down. I over roasted the veggies because I was making sweet potato chili in the crock pot for our dinner with my six year old and forgot about them. The eggs helped me make it through to my grilled chicken salad at lunch. Now dinner is an hour away and I am pretty hungry. I am a snacker though and am trying hard to break that habit along with my sweet tooth.

Archived