anyone starting Sept 11???

Margot

10 minutes ago, Sytera said:

My breakfast was a dud but I choked it down. I over roasted the veggies because I was making sweet potato chili in the crock pot for our dinner with my six year old and forgot about them. The eggs helped me make it through to my grilled chicken salad at lunch. Now dinner is an hour away and I am pretty hungry. I am a snacker though and am trying hard to break that habit along with my sweet tooth.

Have you been drinking plenty of water as well? I find the days I don't drink so much water are the days i find myself hungry! Sweet potato chilli sounds Delish! Is that tonight's dinner?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HopingtoHeal, it is tonight's dinner! It smells amazing. I am on my third 32 ounce cup of water for the day and it is almost gone. I suppose the ice is taking up space but I feel I have been drinking plenty. I will definitely try to up it tomorrow, especially since I am not drinking anything else.

54 minutes ago, Sytera said:

HopingtoHeal, it is tonight's dinner! It smells amazing. I am on my third 32 ounce cup of water for the day and it is almost gone. I suppose the ice is taking up space but I feel I have been drinking plenty. I will definitely try to up it tomorrow, especially since I am not drinking anything else.

Sounds like you are doing great! I definitely had days of hunger in the beginning last time and I think if you are a snacker or grazer sometimes it is habit telling you you're hungry! I also took a few days to get the meal template proportions right in terms of protein and healthy fat with every meal. Enjoy your chilli!!!

On 9/11/2017 at 5:34 AM, 50andstillhere said:

This looks like an awesome thread. I would love to join in. I have done this before and sometimes unmake it to the end and other times I cave! No wine and cheese is super hard for me. My joints are achy so I want to fine tune what works for me. Good luck everyone. 

I have a senior in high school and 2 in college and this a stressful time for me! 

Good luck to all. 

Hi all,

I'd love to join this thread as I'm starting day 1 (again!!) today 12th.  I've been faffing around and having false starts  for the last couple of weeks - just lost my mojo in there somewhere. My last thoughts were about doing W30 for a week and having our family day Sunday a "free" day but then I realized I really need to do the full 30 day reset and maybe look at the options then.  I really want to commit to the 30 days so I've dragged out all my W30 books and am trying to get my head in the right head space.  There is alot happening in my life atm but then seriously when isn't there stuff happening in everyone's life? and I know I'm an emotional eater so....say no more really.   I find I also miss my wine and cheese and it IS super hard @50andstillhere!! I feel you there!   I have done whole 30 before and felt  sooo much better from the inside out.  And I have also discovered that I'm not a good moderator of foods when moving back into real life.  Would really love the support to get me thru.  It's going to be a challenge but I need/want that healthy relationship with food not the dependency / comfort / emotional eating thingy that I'm back in.  Good luck to all of us! 

So great to see how well everyone did yesterday!!! AND we had even more w30'ers come on board! This is gonna be fun!!!

DAY 2 = "THE HANGOVER" according to the w30 timeline, but hey, WE MADE IT THROUGH DAY 1!!!! SUCCESS!!!

To my surprise I actually made it through day 1 easily! I really think the support and accountability here helps so much! Even the simple act of beginning the day typing out my goals and intent (as well as facing head on what weaknesses I'm feeling) is HUGE in helping me keep my mindset where it needs to be! Big talk for day 2, right ;). @aussiegal...I, too, am an emotional eater and am working to find alternative methods of stress management, boredom busting, and anxiety squelching. Oh, and have I mention that I really do not enjoy cooking??? And that I have teenage boys to feed (w30 is not their cup of tea, lol). I am trying to not cook multiple meals though...I cook the w30 meal I'm going to eat then whip up an extra side for them that is non-compliant. Temptation lives around every corner, right???

In addition to this healthy change to dietary components and habits I know I also need to add some fitness enhancements into my day. On a regular basis. This will be a bit of a struggle for me:ph34r: I'm not a complete stranger to the gym, but we're not exactly besties :blink:What are you guys doing to address that side of things??? 

I know w30 is about health not weight but let's be honest...we want BOTH better health AND weight loss...am I right??

Can't wait to hear from you all today!!! Have a successful one!

I started my first Whole 30 July 12. Had a slip up with a piece of bread. Re-started 5 days later and completed it. My husband joined me on this journey. It has been very revealing to both us. Never before had I even thought to cut out food groups such as dairy. I did this primarily for health reasons but we both lost weight and feel we are where we should be for a healthy weight. Our physical and mental health has greatly improved. I also have kept a journal. I am restarting today as I notice some foods are slowly slipping back into our diets in a non healthy way. (I put the peanut butter M&Ms in the high cabinet next to the Vodka, the alcohol is not the problem, it's the continual reaching for a handful of the M&Ms that is.) Learning That if it's in the house I will eat it when the urge strikes). Total elimination is the only thing that works for me. Moderation does not work at all for me. So here I go. Cleaning out the pantry, trying new recipes and trying to stay on track. Thank you for your support.

Last night for dinner we had the Mexican twice baked potatoes for dinner, and everyone loved them! Even my 2 kids, who can be quite picky, loved them. We are also loving the cider chipotle sausage. The tuna waldorf salad from Well Fed has also been great for my husband and I. Tonight for dinner we are having the chicken with caramelized pears and shallots, which sounds so good! Good luck today everyone!

Hi All! I've read your posts and I'm glad theres quite a few of you who started yesterday! To  LAdy49er, you're inspiring. That is truly the definition of mom. The only way to help your daughter succeed is by YOU leading by example! WAY TO GO! I'm wishing you both much success!!

A bit about me....I'm currently on Mat Leave with my 9 month old son. My husband and I are very active people and for the most part eat clean, but we've derailed over the summer. Patio drinks, BBQ's, family vacation...isn't helping the post baby, post school weight, energy levels, skin, hormones etc. My husband has psoriasis so we're doing the autoimmune protocol and I must say, its seems A LOT harder then the Whole 30, especially because my husband has a physical job and plays sports, so simple proteins like eggs and nuts aren't compliant with the autoimmune protocol :wacko:. However, I subscribed to the "RealPlan" to help assist me in meal planning and ideas. BEST $15 spent. Especially when you're following the autoimmune diet.

Since I'm introducing my son to solids I thought Whole30 was the perfect way to do it. He can eat with us, plus it forces me to sit down and eat with him. I'm a runner and I am a little worried about an upcoming half marathon race in October. Typically on a long run I take a gel (basically sugar) to help performance, but obviously I won't be able too. This will be a good test to see how I can come up with alternatives to give me that energy.

Day 1 was pretty successful, my husband, mom, aunt and sister are all doing it, so we've got great support. My husband and I both had a major headache last night (detox much?! haha) and since he can't have aspirin (part of the autoimmune protocol) I used a blend of essential oils and it was successful!

On that note, does anyone know if you can have Green Tea?

25 minutes ago, KarliGrace said:

My husband has psoriasis so we're doing the autoimmune protocol and I must say, its seems A LOT harder then the Whole 30, especially because my husband has a physical job and plays sports, so simple proteins like eggs and nuts aren't compliant with the autoimmune protocol :wacko:.

I have psoriasis too. I started my first Whole30 last year when my psoriatic arthritis was flaring up really bad. I've gotten so used to the skin lesions (had them since 6 months old and have tried everything from medications to diet changes to no avail...I have nightmares about the tar baths I was given as a child! :blink:) that it wasn't even on my list of things to "cure" with the Whole30. I've tried other autoimmune diets in the past with no changes. So I figured I would just do the regular Whole30. My arthritis took over 70 days of strict Whole30 to stop being painful. It was around that time that I noticed my skin was clearing up as well. Around 80 days, I switched to an 80% Whole30 diet and stayed that way for most of the next year. My skin (except my scalp :/) is still perfectly clear. I have no lesions on my knees, elbows or eyebrows like I've had for 37 years! My scalp was actually nearly healed at one point in the last year.

I'm on round 2 right now. Still just doing the regular version. I'm hoping my scalp will be improved as well.

The reason I say this is to just let you know that the Whole30 is powerful. I applaud you/your husband for doing the AIP. I think everyone's body reacts differently. I hope that reintroductions will prove that he can widen his diet considerably and not bring back symptoms. Good luck!

21 hours ago, HeatherW-V said:

I thought smoothies were discouraged as well as cocoa powder as a sweetener? It's only allowed for meat rubs, no?

Technically you're right. You're supposed to eat your fruit, not drink it. But here's the rub; MiniMe is only 7 years old. That's 2nd grade. Her world is filled with people who eat cereal for breakfast, pizza at lunch, put cheese on their tacos, and make YouTube videos of candy eating challenges. She has stood up to and stayed strong against all of those temptations, and that was just Day 1 & 2! I'm so, so, so proud of her resolve. Having said that, there are no other alternatives for breakfast for her. She despises eggs. She doesn't just gag on them; it's a gross but impressive stream of projectile vomit. Yes, she could just sit and eat a banana, have a small cup of almond milk, and chew on some ice instead of putting it in a smoothie, but that doesn't fill her up as effectively as the thick concoction that I may have snuck some other "things" (vegetables) into. "I want kale for breakfast" said no kid ever. So if they're gonna put me in Whole30 jail for breakfast smoothies, I guess I'll hafta take one for the team. LOL!! 

@Lady49er, I understand the 7 year old on Whole30! Mine is rail thin and already has a limited palate (hates most meat...), so her dad has been pretty forcefully reluctant to try her on strict Whole30. She has chronic stomach aches...but they come and go on months-long cycles. Right now, she isn't having them. They stopped right about the time I started this round of Whole30! But she is still getting compliant breakfast and dinner 90% of the time. She *does* eat eggs, but not every day.

Have you read through the tips for kids? You can relax a lot of the suggestions (not the RULES). For instance, she can have paleo-ified foods like "pancakes" and such. There's a banana+egg pancake recipe that both my kids (including the 5 year old egg hater) will scarf down. I also made almond flour crackers for them to take to school for snack. Hmm...just realized both the lunches I packed this morning were 100% compliant. :P Not the sugary almond bar I sent for snack though...

Also, try her favorite dinner foods for breakfast! It's fast and easy to heat up leftovers. My 5 year old will stuff herself with roasted cauliflower and meatballs for breakfast. One of the few meats my 7 yr old consistently likes is medium rare steak. It's not unusual for me to be cooking steak in the morning for her to dip into homemade mayo! :)

EDIT: Have you tried kale chips? My 7 yr old begs for them...you may be pleasantly surprised and she might even eat them for breakfast! :D

12 minutes ago, madness said:

Have you read through the tips for kids? You can relax a lot of the suggestions (not the RULES). For instance, she can have paleo-ified foods like "pancakes" and such.

No! I had no idea such a thing existed! Thanks for the tip and the other suggestions you offered. I know she'll love the kale chips, but I failed miserably on my first attempt at making them. I've got 28 more days to keep practicing. LOL!

34 minutes ago, madness said:

I have psoriasis too. I started my first Whole30 last year when my psoriatic arthritis was flaring up really bad. I've gotten so used to the skin lesions (had them since 6 months old and have tried everything from medications to diet changes to no avail...I have nightmares about the tar baths I was given as a child! :blink:) that it wasn't even on my list of things to "cure" with the Whole30. I've tried other autoimmune diets in the past with no changes. So I figured I would just do the regular Whole30. My arthritis took over 70 days of strict Whole30 to stop being painful. It was around that time that I noticed my skin was clearing up as well. Around 80 days, I switched to an 80% Whole30 diet and stayed that way for most of the next year. My skin (except my scalp :/) is still perfectly clear. I have no lesions on my knees, elbows or eyebrows like I've had for 37 years! My scalp was actually nearly healed at one point in the last year.

I'm on round 2 right now. Still just doing the regular version. I'm hoping my scalp will be improved as well.

The reason I say this is to just let you know that the Whole30 is powerful. I applaud you/your husband for doing the AIP. I think everyone's body reacts differently. I hope that reintroductions will prove that he can widen his diet considerably and not bring back symptoms. Good luck!

Thank you madness!! This is inspiring! I'm going to read it to my husband when he gets home from work!! I have always said to him I think if we changed his diet to find out his triggers, he would no longer have to deal with it!

Day 2! Did anyone else wake up with the "hangover"??

My first whole30 I didn't have any of that; which doesn't seem fair because I was eating worse back then. Now I don't feel like I'm changing all that much. But maybe I had starting eating things that my body didn't like without realizing it. Feeling like crap today, but I know it won't last forever. 

I also got blood drawn this morning for my thyroid numbers. Wanted to get a starting point, and seeing what improves. 

1 hour ago, KarliGrace said:

Hi All! I've read your posts and I'm glad theres quite a few of you who started yesterday! To  LAdy49er, you're inspiring. That is truly the definition of mom. The only way to help your daughter succeed is by YOU leading by example! WAY TO GO! I'm wishing you both much success!!

A bit about me....I'm currently on Mat Leave with my 9 month old son. My husband and I are very active people and for the most part eat clean, but we've derailed over the summer. Patio drinks, BBQ's, family vacation...isn't helping the post baby, post school weight, energy levels, skin, hormones etc. My husband has psoriasis so we're doing the autoimmune protocol and I must say, its seems A LOT harder then the Whole 30, especially because my husband has a physical job and plays sports, so simple proteins like eggs and nuts aren't compliant with the autoimmune protocol :wacko:. However, I subscribed to the "RealPlan" to help assist me in meal planning and ideas. BEST $15 spent. Especially when you're following the autoimmune diet.

Since I'm introducing my son to solids I thought Whole30 was the perfect way to do it. He can eat with us, plus it forces me to sit down and eat with him. I'm a runner and I am a little worried about an upcoming half marathon race in October. Typically on a long run I take a gel (basically sugar) to help performance, but obviously I won't be able too. This will be a good test to see how I can come up with alternatives to give me that energy.

Day 1 was pretty successful, my husband, mom, aunt and sister are all doing it, so we've got great support. My husband and I both had a major headache last night (detox much?! haha) and since he can't have aspirin (part of the autoimmune protocol) I used a blend of essential oils and it was successful!

On that note, does anyone know if you can have Green Tea?

Hi KarliGrace, 

I have a half marathon in October as well! I'm already starting to plan my fueling. There are several endurance runners out there who have blogged on what they use. I hope you like sweet potatoes. ;) It seems to me the important part is making sure we are getting enough carbs through sources we're allowed. I've seen a few recipes for Sweet Potato puree for fuel on runs. And dates. Sure it's not as easy as Gu or chews, but I've read that a lot of people don't have the same GI issues as they would with the sugary things. 

Personally, I'm hoping the 30 will help me with some IT band inflammation I've been having.

What race are you running? I'm doing the Baltimore Running Festival Half! I would be happy to share experiences and tips back and forth.

-Meg 

29 minutes ago, MegT90 said:

Hi KarliGrace, 

I have a half marathon in October as well! I'm already starting to plan my fueling. There are several endurance runners out there who have blogged on what they use. I hope you like sweet potatoes. ;) It seems to me the important part is making sure we are getting enough carbs through sources we're allowed. I've seen a few recipes for Sweet Potato puree for fuel on runs. And dates. Sure it's not as easy as Gu or chews, but I've read that a lot of people don't have the same GI issues as they would with the sugary things. 

Personally, I'm hoping the 30 will help me with some IT band inflammation I've been having.

What race are you running? I'm doing the Baltimore Running Festival Half! I would be happy to share experiences and tips back and forth.

-Meg 

Hi Meg!

Thats super helpful information!! I'm running the Royal Victoria Marathon in October (although doing the half marathon). This is my second post baby half marathon so I was hoping to do a better time then mine in May. That being said, I'm not going to be too hard on myself! Would love to share tips with you!! Thanks for reaching out! I need fellow runner for support! 

40 minutes ago, MegT90 said:

Day 2! Did anyone else wake up with the "hangover"??My first whole30 I didn't have any of that; which doesn't seem fair because I was eating worse back then. Now I don't feel like I'm changing all that much.

No hangover here, although I felt queasy yesterday. But you're probably right that you unknowingly may have added things that make your body feel bad and now your body is detoxing. Between that and the blood draw, your body is probably just pouting and trying to show you who's boss. This too shall come to pass.  

It's only day 3 for MiniMe and me, so maybe it'll take us longer before the detox really hits. One thing I'm kind of weirded out about is that I don't really feel more energetic. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. Hang in there! 

4 minutes ago, Lady49er said:

No hangover here, although I felt queasy yesterday. But you're probably right that you unknowingly may have added things that make your body feel bad and now your body is detoxing. Between that and the blood draw, your body is probably just pouting and trying to show you who's boss. This too shall come to pass.  

It's only day 3 for MiniMe and me, so maybe it'll take us longer before the detox really hits. One thing I'm kind of weirded out about is that I don't really feel more energetic. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. Hang in there! 

Have you read the timeline on the blog or in the book? As they said, there are no typical results. But the energetic portion doesn't seem to come until about day 12. It takes our bodies a little bit to adjust to fat adapted. You'll get that energy soon! 

https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

1 hour ago, MegT90 said:

Day 2! Did anyone else wake up with the "hangover"??

My first whole30 I didn't have any of that; which doesn't seem fair because I was eating worse back then. Now I don't feel like I'm changing all that much. But maybe I had starting eating things that my body didn't like without realizing it. Feeling like crap today, but I know it won't last forever. 

I also got blood drawn this morning for my thyroid numbers. Wanted to get a starting point, and seeing what improves. 

@MegT90 I'm in the same boat! I didn't feel any of the yuck with round one. It today (round2 day2) I have been so, so tired!

i think the first time my body was probably just like, "thank the Lord she is finally feeding me nutrients and not all the stuff i can't deal with". I had been at least 80% of the time Whole30 in between times with the exception of my holiday week which was maybe more like 50-60% compliant. 

Weird to be feeling it more now but glad I'm not the only one!

Hi all,  Day 1 for me as I found out hubs put butter in the mashed potatoes last night not ghee!! :oI had such a good day  W30 wise but was working late and hubby was trying to make it easier when I got home.  I thought hard about letting it go but I'm a "leaky boat" kinda girl and once I start making small allowances I feel the integrity of the whole thing is messed up and I'll just keep making little allowances till I eventually sink.  So here I am, having hid the butter(!!), commencing day 1 of the whole30 on 13 September.   Hope everyone is doing well.

Today I'm having:

Meal 1:  vege hash with homemade pork sausage plus 2 eggs and 1/2 avo 

Meal 2:  chilli chicken thigh (a version of Well Fed backed chicken with paprika, garlic and chilli powder) and salad with homemade mayo

Meal 3: Fish fried in lemon, dill and ghee, sweet potato wedges  and a cup of mixed veg (which I have par cooked and just have to heat up) and 1/2 avo.

I'm also starting back at the gym tomorrow ( and I hope the sky doesn't fall! cos its ages since I've been and I'm sooo outta shape).  Anyway I know it will help with self esteem and confidence to get through the next 30 days. 

so...still hangin in there and taking it one day at time.   

Just started today, 9/12, so I am right behind you.  I am in Florida and could not start due to hurricane, too emotional. I didn't realize yesterday was my last drink.  Have bought 3 books and finished reading It Starts with Food by flashlight due to hurricane Irma.  My major issue is just plain fatigue.  I exercise a lot, at least 5-6 times a week.  I just want some energy.  I have done similar programs and know I felt better and looked better (flatter stomach, brighter skin) but then I go back to eating the crap.  Not really looking to lose weight, but 10 pounds would be an added plus.  Good luck. ANd I would love to hear about any great, easy, not spicy recipes, especially for breakfast.

Hello! My husband and I started yesterday and we are so freaking hungry! We are fortunate that we have pretty high metabolisms so don't have big weight issues, but the late 40s into 50s have definitely created some changes that we're not thrilled with - mine is mostly that I wake up tired and feel like a slug in the middle of the day. We'd both like to lose a few pounds around the middle and get some of that energy and mental clarity everyone talks about. We don't eat a lot of sugar so are not feeling too bad today but both came home from work HUNGRY! Trying to make the mayo from the Whole30 book almost made me cry - I found this recipe/technique worked better for me...http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Good luck everyone! What are you having for dinner tonight?

Archived