anyone starting Sept 11???

Margot

Well, I must break a rule. My son's goat has to be weighed and my husband is gone. No one else can hold her to weigh with her and subtract their weight. I may put some potatoes in my pockets to throw my own weight off. The things we do for our kids.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whole30-Timeline-COLOR-Smaller.thumb.jpg.5e5076f35462a0f3151f5608a3e5419d.jpgsaw this today and thought I'd share! love the visual:D

sticking with things has been a bit rough today...my head has been pounding and the emotional food triggers are a bit harder to ignore. stress eating is certainly one of my biggest challenges. looking at colleges for that last baby is  tough for a mama :wacko: and looking at the timeline i'm going to have to really buckle down to get through the next few days!! can't give up now though, right???

"nothing will change if nothing changes" :rolleyes:

Day 10!

I'm feeling good. My run last night and lifting this morning has really boosted my spirits. I'm grateful to have exercise as a comfort over food. It took me awhile to get that way, but it makes staying healthy easier. 

Although this seems to be going by so fast, I still feel like I want to go off compliance some days. And I keep dreaming that I have broken the 30 and I wake up and it takes me a bit to realize I don't have to start over. 

I'm thinking I may already be tapping into that Tiger blood, but we shall see. I am still having trouble with fueling my runs. I will get some nut butter to have on some sweet potato with a banana for my run saturday and see how I do. I don't want a repeat of last week. 

13 hours ago, Margot said:

sticking with things has been a bit rough today...my head has been pounding and the emotional food triggers are a bit harder to ignore. stress eating is certainly one of my biggest challenges. looking at colleges for that last baby is  tough for a mama :wacko: and looking at the timeline i'm going to have to really buckle down to get through the next few days!! can't give up now though, right???

"nothing will change if nothing changes" :rolleyes:

You got this Margot! I feel you on the stress. Take some time for yourself to just breathe. :)

Day 11! 

Seriously! I keep dreaming that I have eaten something that is not compliant and have to restart/quit. Like every single night. Which is weird because I haven't craved anything off plan. I've been coasting. So I dunno. Maybe I'm too lax about it and my body is afraid that I will accidentally eat something because I'm not paying attention. 

And the beer in my dream last night was the most disappointing thing in the world! I dreamt that I won a free beer and then they serve me some fruity concoction. ew. 

But more than 1/3 of the way! YAY!

@MegT90, I keep dreaming the same! The dreams are so vivid it is hard to wake up from them. I have been craving sweets though, probably because I keep making my sons ingredient-compliant snacks and smoothies. This morning I took them for their weekly scones (my favorite non-homemade treat) at a local coffee shop and took a big grilled chicken salad along for myself. It is the first grain they have had in a week so we will see if I notice any small changes in them.

i need to get more exercise into my days. Walking the dogs 2-3 miles isn't enough. We were doing five miles but then a horse tried to jump its fence at us so now we can't go as far. We could double back but that is honestly a bit too boring for me and the dogs see the driveway and are ready to go home.

Keep on trucking everyone! I finished my official 30 days...and promptly had cookies and milk on Day 31. :blink: And it wasn't even that good. No ill effects, but I'm back on the program. I'm going on a three day backpacking trip tomorrow and I don't wan digestive issues!

I'll be out of town until Wednesday...that'll be Day 17 for you guys! Go get 'em!

On 9/14/2017 at 5:46 AM, MegT90 said:

How did training go? What did you find to fuel with. 

My track workout was not very happy on my stomach. I had a couple of sweet potatoes, but I also had an Epic jerky bar, too. The spices did not sit well, so that is off my list as an option. It was also only day two and I think I was still detoxing a lot. Sorry for the TMI. haha. 

I was also having trouble breathing because my allergies were through the roof. But my pain was gone. 

I'm excited to see if anything has improved by my long run on Sat. (I'm thinking 10 miles depending on how my hip feels). and then track workouts next week. 

Hey guys! Sorry I've been MIA and need to catch up! Still hanging in there and feel amazing! Although insomnia has been kicking my butt the last two weeks (I have a move at the end of the month and we still haven't bought a house! eeek! Also mom of a 9month old teether! haha). We're doing great! learning to fuel for my runs and exercises....although I can get through them, I am feeling a bit sluggish!

@KarliGrace - Wow!! That's a stressful load! A move and a teething infant. I bow to you. 

This past week has kicked my stress-filled booty. The eating plan has been the least of my worries, and in fact I think maybe it helped me face some of the challenges better. I know for sure I didn't grab a bag of Mint Milanos to console myself, so I'd say that's a win! There has been way more drama with the girls' cheer squad and coach

<Oops! Accidentally hit "send" before I was done!>

There has been way more drama with the girls' cheer squad and coach than I need, and I'm very sad because both the girls and I are losing friends over it. Here's a life tip: If people say they want to know what you think, don't fall for it! 

We have also started an intensive in-home behavioral therapy program for Sissy, who has ADHD. The therapists come 3 days a week (they wanted 4!), so there's another thing to pile onto the already packed day. I had the most horrendous amount of clutter clearing to do because, like my weight, I let that get away from me. I had given up on all but the basics of caring for my home because I would get so exasperated when I saw the damage that Sissy has caused (she's 9). Still, I think that getting the eating in order is helping me see how everything else in life will follow if I exert a little effort. Our downstairs is now spit spot in order, and I got a TON of cardio running stuff out to the trash and recycle bins. And the stairs!! Up and down at least a hundred times to put toys back into the playroom from which they had escaped. 

Yikes, I may have engaged in a TMI session here, and I hope I didn't scare anyone. But I look at this and think about what a difference the past 12 days have been. 

Mini-Me continues to make me proud. She is sooooo strong, and I honestly would not be this resolute without her. A classmate passed out cupcakes to celebrate a birthday yesterday, and she turned it down. BOOM! She's was sparring in her Kenpo karate class yesterday and was much quicker and mire on point than she's been in a while. Her instructor noticed and I told him about how hard she has been sticking to W30. He was totally impressed. Then Sissy went up to him and said that she was going to miss out on ice cream at the 4H meeting tonight. He told her, "No, she's getting healthy. She's not missing out on anything." 

Today will be spent making dips, mayonnaise, dressings, and seasoning mixes for the next week. That's my happy place! 

Stay strong, fellow W30 warriors!

Wow! @JM775 I hadn't thought of the impact on the heart rate, but it makes sense! 

It's getting  to the end of the month and money is getting tight (husband and I both took early retirement to be with the kiddos), so I've been trying to be frugal with purchases. I got a great deal on ground beef yesterday, and luckily we have several markets that have nice, low price produce ... especially bananas. Eggs are crazy expensive in California, so we hadn't used them much before W30. I was shocked when we were in Michigan a couple of times this past year and they were considered "expensive" at 68 cents a dozen! We pay triple that in CA. So this week's dinners will be chili, zuppa toscana (plus spaghetti for Sissy and Daddy), grilled chicken over kale, "taco salad" (really just seasoned meat on a bed of shredded lettuce), coconut curry chicken, and eggs. Other suggestions are welcome!

I suddenly understand what all of you Empty Nesters are talking about.  Mini-Me and Sissy were at a birthday party/slumber party last night, and I had the whole house to myself. It was sooooo hard not to keep running to the kitchen for snacks!! I ended up sipping a cup of mint tea while reading the Whole 30'cookbook. Even so, I'm sure it eas more challenging for Mini-Me. I made all of her food ahead of time and packed a bag full of snacks for her to have while the others munched on popcorn, cake, chips, and all the other stuff she can't have. I even made a watermelon ice for her to have something special while the others had cake and ice cream. 

We've made it through 2 weeks and today is Day 15 (we started 9/10). Woo hoo! Halfway through! 

My sister is doing whole30 with me and she just called me in tears....a pair of pants she has never been able to fit (or rather she put on but was falling out of) fit perfectly!!! She said she's never experienced that before and she is over the moon!! I'm so happy for her. She's worked so hard with this along with working out.

I'm still struggling with energy...I went out for a 14km run Saturday morning and could managed to do 7km. It was tough. I'm used to running long distances like that, but definitely feeling my energy levels have lowered. That being said, I'm happy to report I haven't felt like I'm missing out (we had a party to attend Saturday night with junk food and drinks and I was totally fine!) No cravings and satisfaction is such an amazing thing!! 

@Lady49erHi Lade49er and everyone else !:-)

So I'm late to the party of this group.

I was just looking through posts, and esp. Your posts stands out, it's remarkable that your doing this with 1 of your daughters, and it seems like you are both doing great, and killing it, in regards to staying compliant, even with the challenges of the social life you both have. Your Mini-me is so awesome for being able to stay compliant even at friends houses etc. That's amazing esp. For such a young age.

Then here at a newer post you write your other daughter, is diagnosed with ADHD, and I can only imagine the difficulties there is with handling that, even without having in-house behavioural therapy ( which of course is mostly hopefully is going to be a help but also a task I'm imagining)  how ever I was wondering if you had thought about trying the W30 with her aswell? I've read remarkable stories of W30 on kids with 'difficulties' and honestly I was just wondering why you didn't ( knowingly she had 'difficulties') include her (and maybe you could even get your hubby to join as well, for the possible improvement of your kids and the support) to see if it could benefit her too... instead of having her still eating grains etc. ? It is very much proven how diet affects behavioural 'disorders'/ difficulties, esp. In children. Esp the Feingold ( elimination) diet have shown remarkable changes with ADHD kids, but I'm betting W30 could do strides in bettering the ADHD symtoms too, as it eliminates a lot of what the Feingold diet is also big on eliminating, and as additives  are usually one of the biggest culprit in behavioural issues etc. and getting adequete protein and healthy fat is crucial too .

A few links with interesting reads within the whole30's-fhere, I'm sure there are more though ;-)

https://whole30.com/2014/02/a-is-for-awareness-2/

https://whole30.com/tag/children/

The forum link also has a link within to a posted article with a success story of 'behavioural' approvement in kids on the W30.

Best wishes

~Bischa

I am here to tell you that food fatigue is real!! I haven't eaten much the last few days. Nothing sounds good, nothing really tastes good and I definitely don't feel like cooking! (apologies to my husband and kids!) I guess the upside is that I'm not really craving junk food. So I had my little fit, told my husband I wanted to quit and he said what do you want to eat, and I'll make it for you. And he did! Then we spent most of yesterday in the kitchen getting food ready for the week. So grateful!!

@KarliGrace- That is so amazing!! I'm really excited for your sister! I'm not even going to try on "that" pair of pants until Day 31. But for her to have done it this early and succeed... exciting!!!

@tjgett, you are so lucky that your husband is so supportive and handy in the kitchen. The only thing my husband can make in the kitchen is a mess. If I ever get really sick or go out of town, my children will subsist on donuts and McDonalds. 

@Bischa- Thank you so much for support and advice and for taking the time and trouble to post those links. I promise I will get around to reading them all. To answer your question, the primary  focus of embarking on this adventure was to reset the cravings of MiniMe and myself and get her pediatrician off my back. We both crave so much junk, and it was clear that our weight issues wouldn't go away on their own. This seemed like a smart idea because it was "only 30 days", which helped me sell it to her as a challenge but, as we are all figuring out, it will impact our lives for much longer. She and I have already agreed that we don't mind eating this way on a more permanent basis, and we will continue the W30 food choices five days a week. The other two days will be "mostly compliant", but if we want pizza or a cookie on those days, by golly we'll have it and enjoy it guilt-free. 

I've done extensive research on how food, and particularly additives, can impact ADHD, and I have cut out a great deal of gluten in Sissy's diet in ways she doesn't really notice, such as with her pasta, which has produced some marginal results. There are other factors that contribute to her behavior including Sensory Processing Disorder, learning disabilities, and she was exposed to meth while her birth mother was pregnant with her.

The problem with her and food is that she has the opposite problem that MiniMe does and is a skinny mini, partly because she has a lack of appetite because of some of the medication she's on and partly because of her high-functioning metabolism.  She also gets on these cycles where she only wants to eat a certain food. Her current choice is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches; breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Even so, she is indirectly participating in the Whole 30 program because we all eat basically the same dinner, but sometimes she and Daddy get rice or pasta (and that darn peanut butter and jelly sandwich!) that MiniMe and I don't have. She also hasnt been getting anywhere near as much fast food or sweets as she used to get. So she is definitely reaping the benefits without knowing it.

However, she doesn't "get" it like MiniMe does. Whereas Sissy eats whatever whenever without much thought, MiniMe has become more cognizant of additives and identifying the components of food ("Oh, I can't have taco shells because they're made from corn and that's a grain."), and its almost like a game to her to figure out if something is compliant or not. She is also enjoying learning how to cook these things and even though she can barely reach the stove and needs more practice in keeping the eggshells from getting into the eggs (Mmmm! Nothing like crunchy scrambled eggs!), she is expanding her horizons by trying new foods she wouldn't dream of touching before. 

Then there's Daddy. He made it clear from the start he isn't participating, and I made it clear from the start he isn't sabotaging. He eats the compliant dinners (modified to include pasta, rice, and other no-no's), but he snarfs down pizza, cereal, cookies, and other temptations in front of me daily. Seriously the only reason he is still alive is because he doesn't do it in front of MiniMe and I refuse to go to prison for murder. 

Last night I made some burger patties, and then I used the fat from the meat to saute some spinach and mushrooms. It sounds gross, but this just may be my newest favorite dinner! 

Oh Lady! Your family is sounding more and more like mine. My 7 yr old is the skinny mini who already has a limited palate of foods. She is understanding the Whole30 more as she has seen me doing it on and off for a year and a half now. But I don't think she could take on the challenge of keeping herself compliant when not at home and offered off-plan foods. MiniMe has embraced that. I feel like there's an age range, maybe 5-10 or so, where your kids aren't with you all the time (i.e., in school) and they don't have much impulse control. This age range seems nearly impossible to keep a kid on Whole30 UNLESS they truly embrace it. So I feel you on not having Sissy on it full-time.

My ex-husband (we have an interesting living situation and still live as a family unit) also refuses to go on the plan. But he is my biggest cheerleader and says I'm a completely different (meaning: wonderful!) person when eating this way. He has his own issues (high AC1, sleep apnea, allergies, ADD) and it's frustrating that he won't commit. I now have both of my brothers on board (one is just wrapping up his first round and the other is starting on Friday with his wife), and might have convinced my mom to try it as well. My ex *might* be coming around and willing to really do it. But he has started several times with me and ends up "cheating" by the 3rd or 4th day. He doesn't understand that there is NO cheating. You just screwed up and have to start over. He rolls his eyes at me and continues "cheating" when he feels like it. Sigh. 

My backpacking trip went amazingly well and I was fully complaint. Then I went to the conference. Drank wine, had pie...and threw up. :( I'm back home and still not feeling great after 2 days of non-compliant food. So back on the wagon!

I am happy to see so many still going strong! Way to go!

I may have to break down and have a snack today. I have only snacked one day (almond butter macadamia nut ball) and that was when it ended up being over 7 hours between lunch and dinner. Today started earlier than planned and I ate before walking the dogs, which I never do. I have been hungry ever since, even after a usually filling lunch. It will also be another day with at least seven hours between lunch and dinner. So, I may have a little something, possibly celery and hazelnut butter or a small bowl of chili I made last night. Then, I hope to be back on track with meal timing tomorrow to avoid snacks for the last 13 days.

Day 19! I finally had fruit again today. We went apple picking with friends and my boys picked me a tiny, beautifully ripe apple to have with my lunch afterwards. It was of course amazing and did leave me wanting more sweets but not as strongly as two weeks ago when I last ate some.

Hi everyone!

Day 20 - two thirds of the way through! I haven't posted here for a while but I have been following along with everyone's progress and it has definitely kept me motivated reading of your successes. I have continued to find this round tough and at times frustrating as I've not seen the NSV's and progress that I was hoping for. I am not sure that I ever shared on this thread my motivation for Whole30 and a 2nd round... I have PCOS which is an endocrine disorder that can (and in my case does) cause infertility. My first round of whole30 was life-changing in so many ways and so many of those amazing things remain but I'm so disappointed to have had a rubbish cycle - longer than any of my last 3 since my first round of whole30 which seemed to have regulated things a bit. On top of that disappointment I have faced emotional challenges too - we had a miscarriage just over two years ago and this last few weeks a bunch of friends have announced pregnancies - their second children in the time since we lost our wee baby, which feels like a whole new season of hard!

So, what positives can I take out of this tough round of whole30 where I have felt distinctly un-different?

I think for me the biggest thing this time around is breaking the urge to eat my feelings. I don't think I have ever thought about pizza so much in my life as in these past few weeks. I am not sure at the moment that I have strategies to replace my usual self-soothing through food so in the next 10 days I am hoping to make some progress with that. I am also starting to look towards reintroduction and work out what that might look like for me this time around.

What are you guys focusing on in this last week and a half? And have you started to think about reintroduction and what it might look like for you?

Archived