breakfast

Laura Graham

• Moderators

From the Can I have guide linked in my signature below: (Plus you have no fat in this)

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2017 at 9:38 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

From the Can I have guide linked in my signature below: (Plus you have no fat in this)

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

I understand that whole food is better than liquid food. If there were fat addd and more protein, not from protein powder, would a smoothie with less fruit 2-3 days a week be so off plan? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Amb_Bomer said:

I understand that whole food is better than liquid food. If there were fat addd and more protein, not from protein powder, would a smoothie with less fruit 2-3 days a week be so off plan? 

The reason we recommend that you don't drink your food is because it messes with your satiety signals.  Chewing is the beginning of a digestive process.  Part of this program is changing your food for 30 days.  Sure you can have that smoothie as long as the ingredients are compliant but maybe you want to try something different during this experience.

Archived