Planning ahead: Cake Party at Work (healthy treats allowed?)

MmePark

I am on my first round of Whole30, day 19 and feeling great! There's a birthday cake party at my office in a few days, and I am looking for strategies to cope.

I could of course just not go, but this is a tiny office and my absence would be noticed, especially since we are celebrating the birthday of one of my employees.

I don't usually snack between meals any more (thank you meat for breakfast!). The cake will be at 10 AM. 

Could I bring my own little whole30 compliant treat and eat that instead? I know the idea is to break up with treats for the most part, and I have done so. I don't want to backslide with one event, and I certainly don't want to trap myself in a tough situation (I have already sat out of work social events this month so I wouldn't be tempted).

Should I bring a fruit salad with coconut cream snack or something desert-like for myself? Or is that really breaking with the whole point of this month?

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, MmePark said:

I am on my first round of Whole30, day 19 and feeling great! There's a birthday cake party at my office in a few days, and I am looking for strategies to cope.

I could of course just not go, but this is a tiny office and my absence would be noticed, especially since we are celebrating the birthday of one of my employees.

I don't usually snack between meals any more (thank you meat for breakfast!). The cake will be at 10 AM. 

Could I bring my own little whole30 compliant treat and eat that instead? I know the idea is to break up with treats for the most part, and I have done so. I don't want to backslide with one event, and I certainly don't want to trap myself in a tough situation (I have already sat out of work social events this month so I wouldn't be tempted).

Should I bring a fruit salad with coconut cream snack or something desert-like for myself? Or is that really breaking with the whole point of this month?

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

You can certainly do that and it would still be technically Whole30 but I would really challenge you to just attend the 'party' and decline the cake and then go about your business... there will be many times in the rest of your Food Freedom where there is not advance notice of cake or whatever else that you don't want to eat and you won't have fruit and coconut cream there with you ;)

I would have said on day 4 or 5 that it might be a good coping strategy but you'll be into the twenties when this rolls around... maybe time to test drive your new habits?

• Moderators

If you need to have food in your hand, or if you want to take something healthy to share for others who might not want cake, fruit, either with or without coconut cream, is okay. 

You could also just carry your coffee, tea, or water, or whatever you're drinking, with you, go to the party, chat a little bit, and if you're offered a piece of cake, say,  "no thanks, I'm not really hungry right now." You can say it looks delicious (especially if it's something someone in the office made and you want to compliment them). There's nothing that says you have to eat at these things. You don't have to make a big deal about it or explain why. A simple, no, not right now is enough. 

Thanks for the tips!

I'll either sit out or bring a nice tea to keep my hands full. It seems so silly, but I hadn't thought of the option of going and NOT eating something. I have much to learn on my Food Freedom path....!

I like the idea of challenging myself in this situation. I feel SO GOOD today that I am pretty sure that nothing is going to derail my determination to stop at this point. My son's birthday is on day 31, but that's another topic, I suppose!

• Administrators

I just wanted to add....................that it's a bit bananas that the average person doesn't think it's odd to eat cake at 10am in the morning. And that those same people probably DO think it's weird to eat chili or a taco salad for breakfast. Just my observation.

Also I'm on the wagon of "Oh, no thanks, I'm OK for right now" as it doesn't completely slam the door of cake which tends to put people's backs up but it also means you won't be eating cake.

We have cake events in my office once a month or so for birthdays, and when I was doing the Whole 30, I just said "no thanks" and the person serving cake quickly moved on.  I just hung out and chatted and it was fine.  That said, my office also had a vegan who could never eat the cake (except his own birthday month, when he brought it from his favorite bakery) and someone else with diabetes who usually skipped it.

(I will not comment on my success in doing this when not on the Whole 30. :unsure:)

Archived