I'm Struggling with sugar craving

Hi guys,

I´m doing my first Whole30 (day 7) and so far its been good in terms of energy, meal preparation and training hard,  but i found myself craving for sugar o breads, specially during the afternoons. I am an emotional eater, so I used to calm myself down with food (specially sweet-healthy things, like bars or granola). Now, since I can't have them, i found my self eating a lot of almonds, cashews and Ghee (its weird and uncommon, but I am eating the ghee with a spoon). I feel that Im not in control when it comes to food, and I have a lot of expectations about losing weight, but sometimes I feel that its not gonna happened of I keep like this.

Could you please give me some advices or tips to create a healthy relationship with food.

Ps. Sorry for the grammar mistakes, Im not english native spacer.

Maria

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, MariaCrismatt said:

Hi guys,

I´m doing my first Whole30 (day 7) and so far its been good in terms of energy, meal preparation and training hard,  but i found myself craving for sugar o breads, specially during the afternoons. I am an emotional eater, so I used to calm myself down with food (specially sweet-healthy things, like bars or granola). Now, since I can't have them, i found my self eating a lot of almonds, cashews and Ghee (its weird and uncommon, but I am eating the ghee with a spoon). I feel that Im not in control when it comes to food, and I have a lot of expectations about losing weight, but sometimes I feel that its not gonna happened of I keep like this.

Could you please give me some advices or tips to create a healthy relationship with food.

Ps. Sorry for the grammar mistakes, Im not english native spacer.

Maria

are you making your meals match the template 3x a day?  Cut out the nuts, especially the cashews which are the sweetest and carbiest nuts of them all.  Cravings like this are usually either due to habit (in which case you just muscle through) or undereating.  If you would like us to look at your meals, feel free to post a few days including specifics such as portion sizes, veggies, protein, fat and fruits, workouts etc...

I am eating a lot, i would say. For breakfast I am having eggs (3 whites) with spinach and mushrooms; then 3hrs later I eat a fruit (pear, apple or strawberries) with some almonds. For lunch I have pork, fish or chicken grilled (100grs aprox) with some potatoes and veggies (carrots and asparagus must of the time; then after 3 hrs comes the worst part of the day, during the afternoon mi anxiety levels blow up (and by that time Im arriving at home after work) so there is when I eat the Ghee and more almonds, i feel like eating small quantities every 5 minutes, I also have some prunes because of the sweetness; and for dinner I eat meat and veggies and pumpkins. Most of the time I drink water or tea, and just few times I drink coconut milk.

I am training super hard, 1:30hr everyday with HIITS and not so much weightlifting but with a lot of series and repetitions, and 35 minutes of cardio.

I would like to know where I can find tools to handle my emotions when it comes to food. 

Thks.

• Moderators

I know you're asking about the emotional stuff, but hear me out on this. You think you're eating a lot, bit your meals don't really follow the template and are lacking in fat. You also don't mention any pre-wo or post-wo foods. I think you are truly, legitimately needing more food and specifically more fat, and if you address that by having bigger meals with plenty of fat that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, and you have extra food after workouts, it will be much easier to deal with emotional stuff without turning to food. 

At breakfast, have three whole eggs, with the yolks, with a plate full of spinach and mushrooms, and half to a whole avocado.

At lunch and dinner,  make sure your piece of protein is at least the size of your palm of your hand, length, height, and width, a plate full of vegetables, and a big dollop of mayo, or a big handful of olives, or half to a whole avocado.

If you work out first thing in the morning, have a bit of protein and fat before. Regardless of when you work out, after your workout, have some lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetable, just a few bites of each, not a full meal's worth.

I really think if you do these things, what you're perceiving as emotional eating where you have ghee and almonds in the afternoon won't happen anymore, but if you are in a situation where you know you want to eat due to emotions, you could try journaling about what you're feeling or talking to someone about it. You could distract yourself by going for a walk, working on a hobby, cleaning or organizing something, reading a book, or anything that keeps your mind and your hands occupied until the feeling passes. 

Archived