What? No Dairy?

EmmaRose

Today's my first day of Whole30. I had cut out starches and sweets months ago and have seen improvements in my sleep patterns, energy levels, and mood. Since my weight loss stalled,  I decided to do Whole30.

Greek yogurt comprised a large portion of my diet and I've read mixed reviews on the impact of dairy on the body. Since it's the one thing I haven't changed, I suspect it's a culprit. I'm feeling anxious about giving up dairy, which suggests to me that it may be more of a problem than I thought.

Easy and quick meals are important to me. To hedge the questioning of what to eat, I've created a meal plan for the next 30 days with enough variety to keep me interested and enough routine to keep it easy.  

I exercise 4-5 times a week and have been for the last 5 years. My current routine consists of 1 HIIT day, 1 lift day, 2-3 days of moderate cardio. This feels like the right balance.

I'm looking forward to the changes.

If coconut is an option for you, you could very easily make coconut yogurt in the instant pot or crock pot. I've even done it in mason jars and the oven. I have thickened it with grass-fed gelatin and strained it through cheesecloth or a nut milk bag to make it a bit thicker and the consistency more like Greek yogurt. There are many recipes online for coconut yogurt via IP, crock pot, or the oven mason jars approach. I've used this one before. 

Good luck! I'm also doing a whole30 this month.

Dairy was the easiest for me to give up because I already knew that it gives me consequences every time I eat it.

Part of Whole30 is conquering food addiction - sometimes it's not just the *what* of the things you eat, but also the *how* of the things you eat. It might be really good for you to take a break from yogurt - in any and every form - just to get away from it having too much control over you and to experiment with new flavors and textures.

One thing that surprised me was that most breakfast foods - cereal, doughnuts, pancakes, etc. really have little nutritional reward - they often made me hungry within a couple of hours of eating. They couldn't power me through my morning, and I doubt they'd do much good for getting me through a workout.

the more educated i become on the effectiveness of optimal nutrition, the less i want to put anything processed in my body.

@eklink Greek yogurt is a quick and easy protein, which i why i ate it. As tempting as a substitution is, it's not going to give me the protein i need to fuel my workouts.

@Host After being starch free for several months, I treated myself to a bagel. A couple of hours later, not only did i feel like i never ate the bagel, i also felt like i hadn't had dinner the night before. And I wanted a nap.  No, thanks. I have other things to do. :) 

today, I discovered that coffee with almond milk is tolerable. my coffee doesn't have the nice caramel color that i like, but it tastes ok. 

since i like achievement and keeping records, i started using an app, habitbull, that lets me track how many days i've been whole30 compliant. using this technique helps me stay motivated while incorporating something new into my life. i'll drop it after i've become convinced that i don't need it anymore. 

9 hours ago, EmmaRose said:

Greek yogurt is a quick and easy protein, which i why i ate it. As tempting as a substitution is, it's not going to give me the protein i need to fuel my workouts.

You should  be able to get adequate protein for work outs by following the recommendations - protein and/or fat pre WO, and protein & optional starchy carbs post WO. Remember though that the PRE WO isn't actually fuelling your WO. THe aim is to become fat adapted, and this will mean that your body will be able to tap itno it's fat stores for fuel. The PRE WO meal is really more of a signal to the body to let it know that more fuel is forthcoming so it's ok to burn what's already there.... THe postWO meal will allow the muscles to repair & recover.

14 hours ago, jmcbn said:

You should  be able to get adequate protein for work outs by following the recommendations - protein and/or fat pre WO, and protein & optional starchy carbs post WO. Remember though that the PRE WO isn't actually fuelling your WO. THe aim is to become fat adapted, and this will mean that your body will be able to tap itno it's fat stores for fuel. The PRE WO meal is really more of a signal to the body to let it know that more fuel is forthcoming so it's ok to burn what's already there.... THe postWO meal will allow the muscles to repair & recover.

i understand that i will get enough protein following the recommendations; that's not my concern. after a half decade of experimentation on my body, a pre wo of greek yogurt  gave me enough protein and fat to perform high and medium intensity workouts without eating a cow afterwards. If i did low intensity workouts, i'd take a different approach.  and, no, i'm not changing my workouts. my concern is living without dairy. as i stated above, i have a plan for that. if my body changes again after the whole30, i'll make adjustments then.

Archived