Breakfast Advice

eap416

Hello, I am in need of assistance about breakfast. I am on day 6 of my first Whole30 and so far doing...okay. I am definitely feeling the negative side effects mentioned (I'm exhausted even after doing nothing) but I haven't eaten anything non-compliant. My biggest struggle is breakfast: I cannot stomach having a big, full meal. I'm not a morning person and before this I wouldn't always eat breakfast, and if I did it was cereal or oatmeal, maybe yogurt (plus or minus fruit). The idea of eating eggs or anything hot and cooked literally makes me feel nauseous. Even a hard boiled egg turns my stomach. So far I've been having a banana and black tea. I know it isn't ideal but it is the only thing that doesn't make me feel nauseous. I was thinking of adding some almond butter as well (I am really missing peanut butter, ngl...). Any other suggestions for something light and easy? Thank you!

How about some kind of blended soup, or a broth? Both are gentle on the stomach in the morning... You really need to think about some way of getting protein in this meal though as ideally you want protein to break the fast in the morning... How about a burger patty? Or some fish cakes which are generally very light?

If you do like the soup idea, try drizzling in a beaten egg when you heat it up. It gets hidden in the mix and adds protein. Or you can do a blended soup that already has protein (chicken for example). I've personally never liked that, but lots of people do!

I *am* a big breakfast eater, but the first week of a Whole30 has me nauseated in the morning too. Just keep trucking along, trying to eat a little bit more (especially protein) eac day. Definitely eat a full template meal as soon as you can, even if it's before official lunch time.

Thanks for the ideas! Soup might be okay when it gets colder but I think the smell of any meat in the morning makes me nauseous. And I'm a weirdo who doesn't like bacon or any kind of fish. I guess there aren't really any non meat or egg protein options? I miss dairy lol. Guess I'll try a hard boiled egg again!

Hard boiled eggs can be *so* tough to eat. I like eggs and there are some days when there is nothing in the world that could convince me to eat a hard boiled egg. 

The egg drizzled into soup (like egg drop soup from the Chinese restaurant) might go down easier. 

How about cold meats? Chicken that was grilled or roasted the night before and you can eat it right out of the fridge? Then it doesn't have that "cooking meat" smell. Even if it's just a bite or two at first. Then maybe a couple days later it'll be 4 bites, then 5, etc. 

Archived