Help me find the most Whole30 compliant option at this Thai restaurant.

PoisonIvy250

Hey guys! I'm on day 11 of my Whole30. I'm going out to eat tonight for a birthday and need some help from you gurus to pick the most compliant options at this Thai restaurant. The menu can be found here: http://www.thaiemera...Train/index.htm. I haven't ventured this far out of my comfort zone yet, so I appreciate any help you can offer.

Specifically I don't know what type of sauces might be ok for me to order, there are several dishes that list a "ginger sauce" or "light sauce", etc. I have no idea if those might contain sugar. I'm not worried about what type of oil the meats/veggies are cooked in tonight honestly, I realize I can only control so much and because this is for a birthday celebration I want to avoid drawing any extra attention because of some crazy extravagant order. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I can promise there won't be any compliant sauces. If it were me, I'd get sashimi and sneak in my own coconut aminos. :) Then see if you can get either a big salad or steamed veggies. Thai is the most difficult to be compliant at. I'm sort of shocked they have sushi, but you are lucky that they do.

Honestly, I would avoid sauces. I think it's a safe bet to assume they all have a form of sugar, or lactose, or a weird thickening ingredient. What I would recommend doing is calling the restaurant ASAP and inquire about the menu. Say you have some food intolerances, or just be honest with a twist: say you're doing a food intolerance diagnostic. That's what I've done and people stop asking questions. Anyway, the restaurant employees don't need the long story, they just need to know that you avoid certain types of food. And I swear to you, you are not the ONLY person with food restrictions. Also ask them if it's ok to ask for something not on the menu. Usually, they are quite accomodating. My bf's sister is vegetarian and VERY allergic to soy, so it's possible to tweek the menu to make it W30-approved.

If you specify "no sauce", most options would be ok (but avoid baby corn). And ask for your meat to be grilled with only olive or coconut oil, and the vegetables to be steamed or sautéed in olive oil.

Thanks guys! I think I ended up making pretty good decisions. I called the restaurant ahead of time and asked them what was in their cashew sauce and their light sauce. There was sugar in both. So I went to the Health Food store and picked up some coconut aminos and I took a jar of Sunshine Sauce from the Well Fed recipe book with me. I ordered the Tuna Tataki appetizer with no ponzu and used my aminos instead and I ordered the Cashew Chicken entree with no sauce and used my Sunshine Sauce. I was a little embarassed to pull a mason jar of sauce out of my purse, but everyone just giggled at me and carried on. I'm pretty proud that I made this work! Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

I just had a similar issue. I ordered a vegetable, curry and lemon broth soup with shrimp, chicken and lime leaves. I requested no tofu and thought that I had asked all the right questions about my food to ensure it was compliant. Yesterday, when I ate it fresh, it seemed alright but today I had my left overs and it feels like my gut is full of air and my head is foggy. I'm on day 8 and just started feeling great and now this. Bummer.

Should I assume something was off and start over? Or since I felt fine yesterday and it's just today that it's affecting me...could it be me just being uber paranoid?

Archived