TxBelly's Whole30 Adventure

TxBelly

I am starting the Whole30 on Monday, 11/19/12. Yep, the week of Thanksgiving! This is intentional as I tend to devour pies, cookies, and cakes by the dozen during the holiday season. I figured if I were committed to the Whole30 I would avoid feeding my Sugar Dragon. Boy does she have her claws in me!

My husband isn't real hip on the idea just because he doesn't want to be stuck eating chicken and green beans all the time. Thankfully, this time (I did the Paleo 30 day challenge a year ago) I am preparing myself more. I've put together a binder with a calendar showing my workout schedule as well as plenty of recipes to pull from. I bought ISWF as an ebook, which I'm regretting a little bit right now. I'd like to be able to copy the meal pages and put them in my binder as well.

I tried to get my parents to join me. I even sent them a copy of the book. They skipped all of the good stuff and just read about what the whole30 is. Now, they think I'm insane! I've asked them numerous times to read the book from beginning to end and they assure me they will, but we shall see. My friends also think I'm crazy to be doing this so close to the holidays. Maybe I am...but if I am successful and can manage to get rid of my sugar addiction then that'll be the best Christmas gift I can give myself! :D

Day 1 is 1/2 way through. I made it through lunch, which was going to either make or break me. So, I have no doubt I'll complete day 1! 1 down, 29 more to go!! I have to say, I am craving my afternoon sweets like crazy...

I had a mini meltdown yesterday. I was ready to call it quits and just settle for completing a Whole7. I was/am tired of food...tired of worrying about what I'm eating, when I'm eating, how I'm eating, and if I'm eating enough. Thankfully, I didn't do anything rash and my Whole30 is still intact! I'm feeling better this morning. I'm going to give it another week...then another one after that. I'm not going to think in terms of 30 days because that seems too large right now.

During your first week, your cravings will be strong and your brain will do anything possible to trick you into cheating. That's because we are naturally lazy. If you give your body a lot of sugar, your body will burn and store sugar very easily and fast. But it doesn't mean that sugar is optimal for your body. Easy and right are often two completely different things! Stay strong. Your first week is critical, but you'll soon see your second week will be easier. Don't even think about doing just a Whole7 or Whole14: You would endure all the stress and reap no (or very little) benefits. The best (and fun) part is yet to come!

Archived