September 18 start date

Tj V

Just wanted to make a commitment and say that I am starting a new round of The Whole 30 on September 18th, 2017 and I'll (I'm 60 yoa) be joined by my 81 year old Mom, Jody and my younger sister, Tina (she's 54). Can't wait! Have some issues I'm hoping will be healed during this and I'm always looking to get in some weight loss! 
If anyone else is starting on this day, I'd love to get in contact, just to be supportive of one another. 
Anywho....excited to get this going!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TJ - I am also planning on starting on September 18th.  I am very nervous about this -- I have had the book for over a year, and have shared info with my parents, but this is the first time I am serious about starting it for myself.  I am a pretty athletic guy, but I have been eating like CRAP the last year or so, with lots of sugar, soda, processed food, etc.  I am anxious to start so I can have better energy, sleep better, etc.  Looking forward to propping you up along the way if possible, and vice versa.  Good luck to you and hope to hear of your (and your mom's) successes!

Hi Brad! Great to have someone else on board! I've been eating like crap for quite awhile. I did a couple successful W30's and it's rough at the beginning, getting used to things and reading labels. You'll likely feel like crap for a couple days around the first or second week and if you're like me, you will feel like you're gaining weight for awhile, but then, sweet mercy, it all starts working and you feel better, sleep better and look better. Anyway, hope I didn't scare you off. I think the hardest things for me are having to eat before coffee and no sugary coffee creamer! Good luck and make sure to touch base with me and let me know how you're doing! I'm gonna follow you on here too and you're welcome to follow me, if you'd like.

Hey everybody! I'm Kat, mind if I jump on board with you guys? I've done three Whole 30s successfully before too, and I found that it's so much easier when you have a good support network! :)

I went through some serious emotional upheaval in the last six months or so, wound up falling off the wagon and back into bad eating habits. I've gained about 20 pounds in that time and just generally feel awful. It's time to get serious again and get back on track. I am going to spend today food shopping and meal prepping and then kick off tomorrow as day one! 

Welcome, kitkat90! Of course you can jump in with us! I feel your pain about falling off the wagon, however, I jumped off and have been off for a couple years now. Hate how I feel and look, so I'm getting back on and praying I can stay there for the long haul...way past the 30 days. Good to have you on board and good luck!

Hi Everyone! 

Do you mind if I join you? This is my first time doing  the Whole 30 and I plan on starting tomorrow (9/18). I am very nervous and trying to convince myself that I can do it. I was job hunting for a while and was very down- I spent most on the couch eating for comfort and I am hoping to develop a better relationship with food. I am constantly tired and will not stop eating crap. 

I am about to head and get some groceries and start on my meal prep. 

Hello all, 

I am also starting tomorrow Sep 18th, too ! I am excited & nervous but mostly excited. I hope I can stick with it. 

I am 32 YO female , no children just me. Some of my current struggles I would like to improve are : psoriasis, depression, alopecia, and possibly rhumetoid arthritis. The past year I have gotten them all at once so it has been very hard to accept all this at once at age 32. I try to exercise and eat right and drink my water , but want to take it to the next level with the whole 30.

good luck to you all ! Excited for this journey. 

Xo. Penny 

1 hour ago, Momo MK said:

Hi Everyone! 

Do you mind if I join you? This is my first time doing  the Whole 30 and I plan on starting tomorrow (9/18). I am very nervous and trying to convince myself that I can do it. I was job hunting for a while and was very down- I spent most on the couch eating for comfort and I am hoping to develop a better relationship with food. I am constantly tired and will not stop eating crap. 

I am about to head and get some groceries and start on my meal prep. 

I'm in that boat too and starting a new job tomorrow ( temping ) the best thing you can do is take care of yourself and it'll all come together ( so they say ! ) good luck and stay in touch ! 

My husband and I are starting tomorrow... enjoying our last glass of wine tonight! Yesterday, I was super excited to get started, tonight... well, I'm hesitant. But we've committed, food prep is done, crock pot is on the timer... here we go!

4 hours ago, PennyJane said:

I'm in that boat too and starting a new job tomorrow ( temping ) the best thing you can do is take care of yourself and it'll all come together ( so they say ! ) good luck and stay in touch ! 

We've got this :) Good luck to you as well and I will be in touch! And good luck on the new job! 

Day 1, Brekkie in the bag...having my first cup of coffee with only coconut cream and will work out for the first time in years, around 9! How's everyone else doing? 
For those of you who haven't done this before, you might want to write down your meals in your log so that the moderators can check it if you start having any issues or questions. It was helpful to me...just throwing that out there for anyone who hadn't considered it. Good luck everyone!

Glad to see so many people starting today.  I'm Mike and my wife Joanne and I are starting our first Whole 30 today.  I hope to learn and get support from all of you!  We are both 58 and we've decided that our lack of energy and weight gain needed some action.  I'm also interested in seeing if some of our unexplained aches and pains go away.  We both seem to have some sinus issues that might benefit from cleaner eating as well.  My wife uses thyroid medication, but thankfully I have no prescriptions at all.  We started our day off by having scrambled eggs with spinach, onion and red peppers.  It was very nice to sit and have breakfast with each other on a weekday for maybe the first time (we are chronic breakfast "skippers"!  We did have a cup of coffee before we ate (a habit that will be hard to break), but we did eat breakfast, so I will consider that a victory.  One thing we have going for us, is that we both drink our coffee black.

One challenge we will have for a bit is that we are between homes.  We sold our house a month ago, and have been living in a furnished apartment while our new condo is being remodeled.  We don't move in until Oct. 7th.  What makes it interesting is that almost all our stuff (especially kitchen stuff) is in storage!  There are pots and pans here, but not a lot.  i found out yesterday that we have no measuring cups.  We have measuring spoons though (did you know there are 12 tablespoons in 3/4 of a cup? I found that out making vinagrette last night.) :D  I did bring our BBQ grill and the weather has been nice in St. Louis, so I plan on doing a lot of grilling the next few weeks.  No food processor, slow cooker etc, so some of the recipes in the Whole 30 books I bought may have to wait, but we'll figure it out.  

I think the biggest challenge/reward for us will be breaking the "sugar monster".  We both enjoy cookies, cakes, pies,etc to excess, so losing our nightly routine of a cup of decaf and dessert will be a big deal.  Reading labels, although eye opening, isn't that big a deal for me, and i do most of the shopping.  

In any event. I look forward to hearing your stories, challenges, successes, and (hopefully not many) set backs.  Let's do this together!  Thanks for letting me join in the group!

Mike

Hey @Mike5858, Tj here. I'm 60. I know well what you're talking about with the aches and pains! Tried a new exercise video today and will have to save it for when I'm stronger. It's called PiYo and it's hard! At least for me anyway. Doing some beginner Tai Chi instead and it's good. 
Bummer about the pots and pans. Good to know about 12 tbsp making 3/4 cup though! :) Gonna have some lunch meat rollups for lunch and some baby carrots I think. What the heck, I might just throw in some celery and live it up! 
Coffee is a hard one for me....I'm used to the chemical concoction that is Coffee Mate Chocolate creamer! But I made it a bit weaker today and just added coconut milk and it's not all that bad. I am switching to decaf full time too (blood pressure issues) and I'm sleepy! Already had a nap and it's not yet noon! Geesh!
Anyway, welcome to you and your wife! Thanks for joining the group! 
tj

@Mike5858, go to the main page on Forums and scroll down until you find the Whole 30 Food Log or something similar. Then start a new topic and name it for you and your wife, maybe create a tag and start logging what you ate. You'll wanna bookmark it or remember the title or tag so you can get back there to continue logging your other meals. 

2 hours ago, Tj V said:

@Mike5858, go to the main page on Forums and scroll down until you find the Whole 30 Food Log or something similar. Then start a new topic and name it for you and your wife, maybe create a tag and start logging what you ate. You'll wanna bookmark it or remember the title or tag so you can get back there to continue logging your other meals. 

Thanks!

WOW!  This group size is awesome -- definitely hoping that we can all pull each other along these next weeks.  Great to see so many people starting today.  

Today is quite a different day.  Usually, I drive through McDonald's and get the large soda (only $1, so might as well get the largest size possible!) and a couple biscuits, or else Sunoco fountain soda and donuts.  Today, I made myself a nice omelet with peppers and tomato.  

I am a teacher, and normally munch at our "team meeting" on cookies, popcorn, etc. -- today, just a small handful of cashews to try and manage my energy balance going cold turkey on everything.

Normally, on my way home I eat a pack of cupcakes or something, or else binge on some junk food when I get home from getting my daughter from school.  Today -- nothing.  Waiting for my chicken and steamed broccoli for dinner.

It is amazing to me how much eating has been mental for me.  I was not hungry until about 15 minutes before I ate lunch.  I am not hungry now.  But I feel like I NEED to eat to comfort myself.  Several times my mind wandered to a nice cold sugary cherry coke or the cookies in my classroom pantry that the team shares.  But then I remind myself that I don't need any of that, and that I am just poisoning myself with it.

I know that after dinner will be tough, as I also like to munch on some cookies and milk for dessert.  But I am going to have all of you right there with me tonight, and instead of those choices, I am going to just do some working out with weights, and then do a little mindfulness/relaxation and read before bed.

I'm glad to hear that I was not the only one nervous for today!  I too am excited to have better energy, sleep patterns, and clearer sinuses (among other things), but I was truly nervous this morning (and am still a little nit nervous, as I worry that I am going to let myself and everyone else down).  I know that the next few days and week(s) will be tough as I go through the sugar/bad carb withdrawals, but with all of your help, I look forward to turning over that new leaf we are all hoping for.

Even though I don't know any of you - I am considering myself as just one member of the "September 18th" team.  I am pulling for each and every one of you to reach your goals, to develop new relationships with eating, and to reach greater levels of health and happiness!

I hope to check in tonight, but if not -- stay strong team, and I look forward to reading all of your successes and fears and stories and everything else soon! 

Archived