September 18 start date

Tj V

11 hours ago, Tj V said:

Thanks @Lauraloveskale for the tips and recipes! I'm on all of it! I think I might like to try the lime in the water. I already know I like lemon! Who says I can't squirt some lime in my La Croix? Thanks, @dmrob2009. I'll check those out too!
Gonna go nosh out on a big salad with meat in it! Yum! Have a great day!!

My fav is lime. But I also like coconut and mango. The flavor is not overt. If you’re not into the sparkling water, try citrus of some kind in regular water. Or if you use essential oils those are great for water too. Just make sure they are food grade. 

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Tj V said:

Hey peeps....all you La Croix fans....what flavor is your fav? I bought and just now tried the Pineapple/Strawberry one and it's super weak. I can barely taste any hint of either. It tastes like better than usual sparkling water and I'm wondering if there are other flavors with a bit more flavor? Can't see myself drinking much of this one. I'm not a sparkling water lover.

My fav is lime. But coconut and mango are good too. If you’re not feeling the sparkling water, try some citrus in regular water. Or if you use essential oils they are great too. Just make sure they are food grade oils. 

6 hours ago, kirbz said:

I was going to head to REI this evening to pick up a couple of Epic bars... I'm also curious as to whether anyone can recommend a flavor. Any favorites out there?

As for compliant Epic bars...I’ve only tried the apple bacon bars. I agree that the texture isn’t super appealing at first. But in a pinch they’re awesome! And I have gotten used to them. I’ve even chopped them up and cooked them with eggs for breakfast. 

9 hours ago, Amb_Bomer said:

For me this is day 10. And it has been the best day of all! The headache that incapacitated me yesterday is gone...gone...gone! I feel the most alert yet, tho still tired. But I attribute that to the crazy schedule I keep. In fact, I think Tiger Blood is starting to roar!!! :D

Good for you, @Amb_Bomer!! 

8 hours ago, Amb_Bomer said:

My fav is lime. But I also like coconut and mango. The flavor is not overt. If you’re not into the sparkling water, try citrus of some kind in regular water. Or if you use essential oils those are great for water too. Just make sure they are food grade. 

Thanks @Amb_Bomer

8 hours ago, _AJP_ said:

What are people eating for fat besides olive oil and avocado? I'm finding I can eat plenty of fruits, veggies, and proteins - but not enough fats.

I eat Ghee on my veggies. Try coconut oil to cook in too.

Happy Day 10 everyone!  We are now 1/3 through and in double digits.  Good for us!  I see some folks mentioning Tiger Blood and that's great!  Even though I did a pretty good hike (for me) yesterday, and I plan on another long walk today, I'm not yet ready to claim Tiger Blood.  Getting there, and feeling better than when i started, but I still have a ways to go.  Some of you may remember that I told you I was staying in temporary housing after selling my house.  Well the renovations on the condo are not complete, but they are far enough along that we will begin moving in next Thursday.  My new garage is about half full of boxes and stuff I had in short term storage, and I'll be moving that into the basement of the condo this weekend.  Up and down stairs carrying boxes, we will see if I have Tiger's Blood on Saturday!  :lol:

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

Good morning, all!  Happy Day 10 (or whatever day you happen to be on)!

Big CONGRATULATIONS to everyone feeling the Tiger Blood coming on!   :D I can honestly say that I think that would be the case for me if I were sleeping better.  I did read in the book that difficulty staying asleep is to be expected as our bodies rid themselves of the toxins and, admittedly, I've been drinking too much (totally compliant) coffee while trying to get through the beginning phase.  I'll be cutting back on that starting today.  We have lots of farm projects to accomplish today and if we get them done, I'll consider myself having made it into Tiger Blood territory. 

@_AJP_, we use ghee that we buy from Thrive Market. You have to buy a membership, like Amazon, but the savings are so incredible that it's way worth it. In addition, we eat compliant bacon, ground breakfast sausage and brats that we buy from our local co-op.  We also use organic coconut oil and EVOO.  Macadamia oil has a very high smoke point, like coconut and avocado oils... so very good but very expensive.  Finally, we love to make guacamole with fresh pico.  I could eat that stuff by the spoonful.  B)

@Tj V we made that pumpkin apple bake yesterday and it was pretty good.  Thanks for the tip!

I hope everyone has a fabulous day today.  I'm making the ribs recipe out of the Whole 30 book for dinner.  I'll let you know how they turn out!  

A  recipe tip:  A great meal idea is to butterfly and bake/roast some chicken breasts and use them as a bun, of sorts to fill with compliant bacon, mayo, salsa, guacamole and veggies.  Just place fillings on one side of chicken and fold the other side on top of it... voila!  A Whole 30 compliant chicken sandwich! 

10 hours ago, _AJP_ said:

What are people eating for fat besides olive oil and avocado? I'm finding I can eat plenty of fruits, veggies, and proteins - but not enough fats.

I use olive oil and avacados for fat too.  I did just buy some Ghee to put on my veggies like TjV mentioned, and I did get some almonds this week.  We can't do anything coconut, because wife wife is allergic to it.  I may not be getting enough fat in my diet, but I seem to be going through olive oil at a pretty good clip, so I'm probably fine.  

3 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 10 everyone!  We are now 1/3 through and in double digits.  Good for us!  I see some folks mentioning Tiger Blood and that's great!  Even though I did a pretty good hike (for me) yesterday, and I plan on another long walk today, I'm not yet ready to claim Tiger Blood.  Getting there, and feeling better than when i started, but I still have a ways to go.  Some of you may remember that I told you I was staying in temporary housing after selling my house.  Well the renovations on the condo are not complete, but they are far enough along that we will begin moving in next Thursday.  My new garage is about half full of boxes and stuff I had in short term storage, and I'll be moving that into the basement of the condo this weekend.  Up and down stairs carrying boxes, we will see if I have Tiger's Blood on Saturday!  :lol:

Mikw

Congrats on the house, Mike5858!  Happy "2nd 3rd" of the program!  

hi guys!!! Congratulations to everyone on Day 10 - that's amazing and so inspiring for us in the earlier days!!!

I've a quick question - I'm only on day three and was expecting to have headaches and other fuzzy-head type symptoms. But I'm actually feeling quite nauseous - is this normal?! Or did any of you experience it? Yesterday evening I really wasn't hungry for dinner (I wasn't physically hungry but could easily have emotionally eaten!).  I had some turkey meat rollups with tomato and cucumber as I knew my body would need something in it. This morning I had breakfast, but have been feeling quite nauseous.. any tips or tricks???

57 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Mike

Good luck with moving!! I don't have Tiger Blood yet either, but on the whole, felt better and more energetic yesterday.

27 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

hi guys!!! Congratulations to everyone on Day 10 - that's amazing and so inspiring for us in the earlier days!!!

I've a quick question - I'm only on day three and was expecting to have headaches and other fuzzy-head type symptoms. But I'm actually feeling quite nauseous - is this normal?! Or did any of you experience it? Yesterday evening I really wasn't hungry for dinner (I wasn't physically hungry but could easily have emotionally eaten!).  I had some turkey meat rollups with tomato and cucumber as I knew my body would need something in it. This morning I had breakfast, but have been feeling quite nauseous.. any tips or tricks???

I went through a period of nauseousness too! I actually threw up one day, but suspect that may have been from being over heated from yard work and forcing myself to eat lunch. It just didn't sit well. But for the first several days, actually probably a week, I had a headache and seriously I still get a bit of a stomach issue from time to time. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm eating too much fruit and drinking too much coffee. Gonna cut down on both and see if that improves things. Oh! And hot flashes have been hideous, so I suspect the natural sugars in fruit might be the culprit. Don't know if any of that rings true for you, but keep at it. It will get better.

@SineadMon  the nausea is likely your body ridding itself of toxins.  It's pretty normal, from what I've read.  

@Tj V the hot flashes are probably an excess of coffee.  It's also sort of normal for women from about 40 and up.  I have been using maca root capsules and they help tremendously.  I ran out recently and have been experiencing hot flashes to the point of night sweats.  :P Probably part of the sleep issue thing for me.  Cutting down to 2 cups of coffee before 1 pm and waiting on my reorder of maca for some relief!

12 hours ago, Amb_Bomer said:

As for compliant Epic bars...I’ve only tried the apple bacon bars. I agree that the texture isn’t super appealing at first. But in a pinch they’re awesome! And I have gotten used to them. I’ve even chopped them up and cooked them with eggs for breakfast. 

Yeah I looked at them in Whole Foods and decided not to buy. Bought 2 rx bars to have on back up and the coconut choc looked the most compliant to I had that yesterday after the happy hour I was super good at! @Amb_Bomer 

@Tj V   

Day 10 -- well for me sleep luckily came and boy did I need it. Fell asleep between 930-10p which is very early for me and woke up feeling a lot better at 545am but stayed in bed until 7:15am. 

They say this week can be challenging!! Good luck to all of us and thanks for the support this chain has been great. Rock on Day 10! Hoping the tiger blood comes soon and my inspiration along w it to keep up all this cooking!! Been using a lot of paper plates bc I'm cooking and doing dishes non stop it feels like. 

Powered through the happy hour strong yest w just water and had a few veggies with guacamole and a small piece of lamb. I did have an Rx bar bc I was starving after on my way home 

20 minutes ago, Lauraloveskale said:

Day 10 -- well for me sleep luckily came and boy did I need it. Fell asleep between 930-10p which is very early for me and woke up feeling a lot better at 545am but stayed in bed until 7:15am. 

They say this week can be challenging!! Good luck to all of us and thanks for the support this chain has been great. Rock on Day 10! Hoping the tiger blood comes soon and my inspiration along w it to keep up all this cooking!! Been using a lot of paper plates bc I'm cooking and doing dishes non stop it feels like. 

Powered through the happy hour strong yest w just water and had a few veggies with guacamole and a small piece of lamb. I did have an Rx bar bc I was starving after on my way home 

Congrats on getting through the Happy Hour.  It's very tough to do and still enjoy yourself.  Good for you!

1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

I felt queasy quite a bit during the first week too.  I felt like I was forcing myself to eat, especially lunch.  It has started to pass now that I'm on Day 10.  It's pretty amazing that I'm not all that hungry during the day like I used to be.  I was worried about the nauseous feeling too, but it will pass.  I still feel a little "different" at day 10, but not nearly as bad as Days 2-8.  Good luck.  Not sure there are any tips except to drive on through it.

Good morning everyone!  I've lost track of who said what, so forgive me if I don't attach specific responses..   As I said in the beginning, I love to cook so I've been way into finding out what works and reworking recipes to fit Whole30.  For fats, I use avocado and olive oil too.  I use coconut oil for cooking some things, don't like the taste with eggs but with things like chicken breast and fish is good.  I usually sous vide them first and just saute in the coconut oil to put a sear on the outside.  I use bacon grease and ghee liberally also.  When I cook bacon (generally in the oven) I let the grease cool slightly, then pour through a sieve into a small mason jar I keep on the back of my stove.  I brush it on my cast iron skillet after I wash it, to replenish the seasoning, but I also saute chicken or cook eggs in it.  I make my own ghee, so I always have a jar of that for veggies or eggs.  I try to make a big salad for lunch, at least the days I'm home  (I work 7 days out of every 14) and usually make a vinagrette of lemon or lime juice or vinegar, a squirt of mustard, and some oil, shaken up in a mason jar.  Love mason jars. :)  One day this week I used some walnut oil I had in the pantry, with lime juice and tahini in place of the mustard.  The tahini was a fail, no taste, but the walnut oil was a good change.  One day I just put a couple of spoonfuls of guac in a jar with some lime juice and shook it up, very good as a dressing.  

I am feeling very good today, no headache and I slept like a rock.  I am increasing exercise, going to gym in the mornings, and today I left feeling really good for the first time.  

If anyone wants to know how to make your own ghee in the oven, let me know.  

2 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

@SineadMon  the nausea is likely your body ridding itself of toxins.  It's pretty normal, from what I've read.  

@Tj V the hot flashes are probably an excess of coffee.  It's also sort of normal for women from about 40 and up.  I have been using maca root capsules and they help tremendously.  I ran out recently and have been experiencing hot flashes to the point of night sweats.  :P Probably part of the sleep issue thing for me.  Cutting down to 2 cups of coffee before 1 pm and waiting on my reorder of maca for some relief!

Ya, I know about hot flashes...been having them for about 8 years now. Never thought about coffee causing them though. I know carbs are huge for causing hot flashes for me, so I am surprised, since I'm not having simple carbs, that they are causing problems right now. Never heard of Maca though. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Good morning everyone!  I've lost track of who said what, so forgive me if I don't attach specific responses..   As I said in the beginning, I love to cook so I've been way into finding out what works and reworking recipes to fit Whole30.  For fats, I use avocado and olive oil too.  I use coconut oil for cooking some things, don't like the taste with eggs but with things like chicken breast and fish is good.  I usually sous vide them first and just saute in the coconut oil to put a sear on the outside.  I use bacon grease and ghee liberally also.  When I cook bacon (generally in the oven) I let the grease cool slightly, then pour through a sieve into a small mason jar I keep on the back of my stove.  I brush it on my cast iron skillet after I wash it, to replenish the seasoning, but I also saute chicken or cook eggs in it.  I make my own ghee, so I always have a jar of that for veggies or eggs.  I try to make a big salad for lunch, at least the days I'm home  (I work 7 days out of every 14) and usually make a vinagrette of lemon or lime juice or vinegar, a squirt of mustard, and some oil, shaken up in a mason jar.  Love mason jars. :)  One day this week I used some walnut oil I had in the pantry, with lime juice and tahini in place of the mustard.  The tahini was a fail, no taste, but the walnut oil was a good change.  One day I just put a couple of spoonfuls of guac in a jar with some lime juice and shook it up, very good as a dressing.  

I am feeling very good today, no headache and I slept like a rock.  I am increasing exercise, going to gym in the mornings, and today I left feeling really good for the first time.  

If anyone wants to know how to make your own ghee in the oven, let me know.  

I use Ancient Organics Ghee and absolutely love it! So nutty! It's pricey though...so yes please to the offer of a recipe "in the oven". Intrigued. 
I also will be trying the whole guac and lime juice dressing too. That sounds yummy!

Homemade Ghee:  From butter, any butter (not margarine, and not whipped butter) will do, but I like the grass-fed Kerrygold I get at Costco.  I usually make a half pound to a pound at a time, it keeps well and does not require refrigeration.  Put in a pot that can go in the oven, I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven.  Put in oven at 350-375F, no need to pre-heat.  As the butter melts,  you will see it separate.  When it looks like it is boiling on the surface, that is the water in it boiling off.  After the water is gone, you will see the thin layer of milk solids on the surface.  Those will gradually turn nutty brown, once you see they are turning brown keep a close eye as it goes fast at that point.  When all the solids on top look medium/nut brown, remove from oven.  Pour through a fine strainer, or a cheesecloth, or something similarly fine, to strain off the milk solids.  I strain through a fine strainer into a glass measuring cup, rinse the strainer and then pour through it again into a mason jar.  I would attach a photo of the jar by my stove, it is a beautiful pure yellow, but I'm at work.  I have not compared the price to buying same amount of ghee already made, but I like doing things like this myself.  So.  Enjoy.  

Thanks @Tj V @Mike5858 and @dmrob2009 I powered through and made myself go get lunch. I had a big salad and actually felt hungry and good while eating it. Still have that weird tummy feeling though - but it's exactly what you guys said, my body removing all the junk and toxins. I'm just following all the good news stories here from day 10 and that is keeping me focused on the days to come and the *fingers crossed* good feelings!

Archived