September 18 start date

Tj V

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

Homemade Ghee:  From butter, any butter (not margarine, and not whipped butter) will do, but I like the grass-fed Kerrygold I get at Costco.  I usually make a half pound to a pound at a time, it keeps well and does not require refrigeration.  Put in a pot that can go in the oven, I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven.  Put in oven at 350-375F, no need to pre-heat.  As the butter melts,  you will see it separate.  When it looks like it is boiling on the surface, that is the water in it boiling off.  After the water is gone, you will see the thin layer of milk solids on the surface.  Those will gradually turn nutty brown, once you see they are turning brown keep a close eye as it goes fast at that point.  When all the solids on top look medium/nut brown, remove from oven.  Pour through a fine strainer, or a cheesecloth, or something similarly fine, to strain off the milk solids.  I strain through a fine strainer into a glass measuring cup, rinse the strainer and then pour through it again into a mason jar.  I would attach a photo of the jar by my stove, it is a beautiful pure yellow, but I'm at work.  I have not compared the price to buying same amount of ghee already made, but I like doing things like this myself.  So.  Enjoy.  

Thanks for this!  It's GOT to be cheaper than pre-made Ghee!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

Homemade Ghee:  From butter, any butter (not margarine, and not whipped butter) will do, but I like the grass-fed Kerrygold I get at Costco.  I usually make a half pound to a pound at a time, it keeps well and does not require refrigeration.  Put in a pot that can go in the oven, I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven.  Put in oven at 350-375F, no need to pre-heat.  As the butter melts,  you will see it separate.  When it looks like it is boiling on the surface, that is the water in it boiling off.  After the water is gone, you will see the thin layer of milk solids on the surface.  Those will gradually turn nutty brown, once you see they are turning brown keep a close eye as it goes fast at that point.  When all the solids on top look medium/nut brown, remove from oven.  Pour through a fine strainer, or a cheesecloth, or something similarly fine, to strain off the milk solids.  I strain through a fine strainer into a glass measuring cup, rinse the strainer and then pour through it again into a mason jar.  I would attach a photo of the jar by my stove, it is a beautiful pure yellow, but I'm at work.  I have not compared the price to buying same amount of ghee already made, but I like doing things like this myself.  So.  Enjoy.  

Awesome!! Sounds so good. I'll give it a go!

1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Thanks @Tj V @Mike5858 and @dmrob2009 I powered through and made myself go get lunch. I had a big salad and actually felt hungry and good while eating it. Still have that weird tummy feeling though - but it's exactly what you guys said, my body removing all the junk and toxins. I'm just following all the good news stories here from day 10 and that is keeping me focused on the days to come and the *fingers crossed* good feelings!

Hang in there @SineadMon! Way to power thru! It's gonna be a test of my will once my mom goes out of town for 9 days. I'm used to her doing most of the cooking and we keep each other on track. How great is it to have an 81 year old Mom who does the Whole 30 with you and cooks to boot?! 

On 9/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, kirbz said:

Oh, and out of curiosity, is the timeline just not resonating at all with anyone else? I'm on Day 11 and I don't think there's been a single day where I've felt like the timeline, except maybe Day 1. In fact, I didn't have a hangover or feel angry or extra tired at all. Day 10 and 11 have been some of my easier days.

I'm just curious... I think the timeline is awesome as it really seems to resonate with a lot of people! Just wondering if I'm the only oddball. LOL, not that it really matters if what I'm feeling matches the timeline! 

Same here. My husband and I have barely felt any effects. No headaches, no intense cravings, no bloat, no digestive stuff... and no bursts of energy either. We were relatively healthy eaters before, and (don't think) we have any food sensitivities anyway. So, for us, we're just trudging through, using this as an opportunity to change some habits. 

7 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

I love homemade ghee. I’ve never done it in the oven but am excited to try. Thanks for sharing your process. 

Good morning, and happy Day __! Yesterday, I felt pretty good in the a.m.  So good, in fact, that I was a little over zealous in planning my day.  We live on a farm and it's that time of year, the rush to get everything that needs to be done before winter hits done.  We ended up moving 3 cords of wood into our wood shed.  Holy moly, that wore us all out!  We came inside, halfway through the job and nearly fell asleep on the couch.  We managed to motivate ourselves to go back out and finish, but phew.  Not quite at the Tiger Blood just yet.  Feeling much, much better, but limited energy thus far.  

@CorgiLover thanks for the homemade ghee info.  I may give that a try!

Here's to an awesome Day ___, everyone!  Glad to be officially in the middle third of the program!

Happy Day 11 everyone!  I've had breakfast and i'm ready to face the day.  I had a little headache last night related to sinus, but things are much better as a whole.  I seem to be sleeping a little better too.  Although I still wake up a lot, I don't have a problem falling back to sleep, and I'm getting up later than I have in probably 15 years, so it's getting better.  I have to keep reminding myself, that we are not even half way through yet, and the best is yet to come.  Where I'm having my biggest success, is not being hungry during the day or snacking.  I think that's 100% because of eating breakfast, which I used to only do on weekends.  The sugar cravings are way down too.  I get them watching TV at night with my wife, but they are getting less severe.  Going out for a business lunch today.  I've scoped out the menu, and I think I've found something.  I will have to ask that some things be modified, but that will be good practice.  I normally, just order off a menu and don't ask for anything special, so this will be a little new for me, but not a big deal.  know the book and newsletter makes a big deal about dealing with people at the table when you have to special order and how to deflect conversation away, but, quite frankly, that doesn't bother me.  I'm kind of a "take me as I am or leave me alone" type of guy.  :D

Have a great day 11 everyone, you're doing terrific!

Mike

On 9/26/2017 at 9:02 PM, _AJP_ said:

What are people eating for fat besides olive oil and avocado? I'm finding I can eat plenty of fruits, veggies, and proteins - but not enough fats.

It's so foreign, but adding all of the mentioned fats to veggies, etc. gets it in.  I made the homemade mayo as well slathered it on a chicken/spinach burger and it was yummy!  I'll put that on my egg or slice of meat next time I need a pre-work out meal.  If you make the mayo, definitely make sure you get light olive oil.  Messed up the first time and used the extra virgin I had on hand and it was pure olive oil!  

7 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning, and happy Day __! Yesterday, I felt pretty good in the a.m.  So good, in fact, that I was a little over zealous in planning my day.  We live on a farm and it's that time of year, the rush to get everything that needs to be done before winter hits done.  We ended up moving 3 cords of wood into our wood shed.  Holy moly, that wore us all out!  We came inside, halfway through the job and nearly fell asleep on the couch.  We managed to motivate ourselves to go back out and finish, but phew.  Not quite at the Tiger Blood just yet.  Feeling much, much better, but limited energy thus far.  

@CorgiLover thanks for the homemade ghee info.  I may give that a try!

Here's to an awesome Day ___, everyone!  Glad to be officially in the middle third of the program!

Good for you dmrob2009!  I've got a ton of boxes to move this weekend, with a lot of stairs between me and where the boxes go.  3 cords of wood is no joke!  Getting good exercise while accomplishing a worthwhile task is much more satisfying to me than working out at the gym.  Living on a farm, I'm sure you get lots of opportunities for that!  Good job!

Happy day 11 too!   Starting to feel like this is the norm, which is super good for me to break the habit of snacking on cheese and sugar treats during the day, and wine in the evening.  Although prep in my cooking has been lacking a little this week and not eating dinner until 7 or so because I'm still working on the meal makes for some hungry people in my house!  All the work for a meal got to me this week.  If you have a favorite crock pot recipe I'd love it.

Have not had the taste of tiger blood yet, but keep doing work outs/hikes/runs feeling like I'm on empty.  I'm still glad I did it in the end, but man I drag.  I'm keeping it real and not expecting the energy to rise until day 18 at least.  I think I would be cranky too if I didn't make sure to have those pre and post-workout meals.  

Funny on the sleep thing, I've not had less sleep but instead super deep sleep that I always wake super groggy from.  No mater if it's 9 hours or 5 hours of sleep.  Going to bed earlier on some nights, because I can't keep my eyes open.  So at least my body is getting at times a lot of it or at least quality sleep.    Power on gang!

Sounds like everyone is doing quite well and I'm glad to hear it! Day 11....can you believe it? Well, not much on the home front here. Dropped mom off at the airport and came home, cleaned the kitchen a bit, ate some lunch and took 3 chicken breasts and 2 pork chops out to cook up later. That should keep me for a few meals this weekend. I found it's best to have stuff already prepared that I can just warm up. That way I don't have to scramble around for something to eat and realize I forgot to take something out for dinner! 
Power on, team! Way to go everyone!

@_AJP_ I have been eating a handful of olives with my meal if I'm not eating an avocado with it. Also, there is a good bit of fat in nuts. And welcome!

Hope everyone is still going strong, day 12 for me here. I discovered last night that pasta sauce is not good for me. Totally compliant, but my science experiment last night gave me bad bad heartburn and bloating. Salsa is fine... just those cooked tomatoes and their acid caused me great pain and discomfort. I decided to use some on my veggies and chicken last night to "spice it up." Ugh... I still have 3/4 of the bottle, so I will likely run the experiment in a couple days to confirm my conclusion. Knowledge is power, we are all the same, but oh so different. If it wasn't for those whole 10 days, I'm sure the heartburn would have been a blur and no exact source would have been obvious. 

12 hours ago, Mike5858 said:

Good for you dmrob2009!  I've got a ton of boxes to move this weekend, with a lot of stairs between me and where the boxes go.  3 cords of wood is no joke!  Getting good exercise while accomplishing a worthwhile task is much more satisfying to me than working out at the gym.  Living on a farm, I'm sure you get lots of opportunities for that!  Good job!

Thank you!  Today has been a bit of a challenge.  I cannot even tell you why, exactly.  It just has.  Good news is that I read what most feel on days 10 and 11 and apparently yesterday and today are rough... so much so that stats show people quitting right where we are at, more than any other time on the program.  Well, we've made it through day 11!  Stay strong!

Guys, your motivation and support is incredible!!! I'm on day 4 and reading your progress over the last 11 days has made me stay committed. More digestive issues today, must have been the nausea from yesterday clearing out.

@GavinD it's so interesting that we can identify different triggers when we give our bodies a chance to actually feel them and figure out what they are. @Tj V sounds like you have some tasty meals ahead of you for the next few days. I'm kind of dreading the weekend - not that there is anything special planned - but I always see the weekend as a treat and that treat has always been a nice meal, some ice cream and cookies. I'm worried that I will fall over this first hurdle (especially when there's another 3 weekends after this!) Any tips for getting through the weekend?

@dmrob2009 and @Mike5858 great to see that your sleep is improving. it's only early days here but I'm already feeling more rested after sleep... hope this continues. 

6 hours ago, GavinD said:

@_AJP_ I have been eating a handful of olives with my meal if I'm not eating an avocado with it. Also, there is a good bit of fat in nuts. And welcome!

Hope everyone is still going strong, day 12 for me here. I discovered last night that pasta sauce is not good for me. Totally compliant, but my science experiment last night gave me bad bad heartburn and bloating. Salsa is fine... just those cooked tomatoes and their acid caused me great pain and discomfort. I decided to use some on my veggies and chicken last night to "spice it up." Ugh... I still have 3/4 of the bottle, so I will likely run the experiment in a couple days to confirm my conclusion. Knowledge is power, we are all the same, but oh so different. If it wasn't for those whole 10 days, I'm sure the heartburn would have been a blur and no exact source would have been obvious. 

I like how this program allows you to pinpoint small things like that.  Keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, Svmomma said:

Happy day 11 too!   Starting to feel like this is the norm, which is super good for me to break the habit of snacking on cheese and sugar treats during the day, and wine in the evening.  Although prep in my cooking has been lacking a little this week and not eating dinner until 7 or so because I'm still working on the meal makes for some hungry people in my house!  All the work for a meal got to me this week.  If you have a favorite crock pot recipe I'd love it.

Have not had the taste of tiger blood yet, but keep doing work outs/hikes/runs feeling like I'm on empty.  I'm still glad I did it in the end, but man I drag.  I'm keeping it real and not expecting the energy to rise until day 18 at least.  I think I would be cranky too if I didn't make sure to have those pre and post-workout meals.  

Funny on the sleep thing, I've not had less sleep but instead super deep sleep that I always wake super groggy from.  No mater if it's 9 hours or 5 hours of sleep.  Going to bed earlier on some nights, because I can't keep my eyes open.  So at least my body is getting at times a lot of it or at least quality sleep.    Power on gang!

Nice.  I've not been sleeping well for a few nights now.  Hoping tonight will be different.  Yay on your progress!:)

9 hours ago, Tj V said:

Sounds like everyone is doing quite well and I'm glad to hear it! Day 11....can you believe it? Well, not much on the home front here. Dropped mom off at the airport and came home, cleaned the kitchen a bit, ate some lunch and took 3 chicken breasts and 2 pork chops out to cook up later. That should keep me for a few meals this weekend. I found it's best to have stuff already prepared that I can just warm up. That way I don't have to scramble around for something to eat and realize I forgot to take something out for dinner! 
Power on, team! Way to go everyone!

Planning ahead is crucial for success... good job!

Day 12 coming to a close. It’s been a busy busy day. Not much time for temptations to derail me. And not much desire for non compliant things. However...Day 14 will present full force. Staying with friends for the weekend with yummy wine all around. Whole 30 don’t fail me now! 

What is your favorite trick for staying strong in the face of your favorite non W30 things? 

8 hours ago, Amb_Bomer said:

What is your favorite trick for staying strong in the face of your favorite non W30 things? 

Water, I always have a glass or bottle of water with me.  If possible, standing and moving around.  Especially in some social situations, other than to eat, I try not to sit.  I find that cravings always seem to pass if I drink water or move around.  If I sit still, it feels like I'm depriving myself or punishing myself.

Happy Day 12 everyone!  I made it through my business dinner yesterday.  Made a few substitutions to a grilled salmon salad (no cheese, replaced the creamy dill dressing with the house vinagrette and only used a little of that.  Worked out fine.  My server was cool with the changes, and I left a generous tip.  At least I know I can go back to that place and make something work.   I have tickets to a Cardinals baseball game on Sunday.  It will make the first time in 40 years I've watched a ballgame without a beer and a brat.  Wish me luck!  Have a great day everyone.  You're doing great!

Mike

Archived