September 18 start date

Tj V

Hi all!

I started today, as well. This is my first time doing Whole30 and my husband is also joining me on this journey! We have 3 kids and are on-the-go alot, so this will definitely be challenging. However, I'm excited to start and to see how much better I feel at the end! Can't wait to see all of the support on this page and to help each other along!

Good luck!

Renee

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks! Do you mind if I join your group? There were two of us that started on Saturday, September 16 but I would very much love a larger group to go through this journey with. Having a support network is a big deal for me so I would be very appreciative in joining you guys! 

I'm a 32-year old female and this is my second time trying the Whole30. I made it to Day 7 last year and then gave up. I'm committed to making it through this year and have some very legitimate goals that are motivating me to get through it! Mostly, I want to one day find myself 70 years old and still able to do all the things I love because my body is still healthy and strong. I can't say that today, let alone in so many years, so here I am! 

If you're interested, I'm logging my meals and exercise as an extra mechanism of accountability under "Kira's Whole30 Log." 

Thanks everyone and stay strong!! This is going to be SO worth it!  

Hi all, my husband and I started today as well.  We technically said we are starting tomorrow so I had today to prep after being out of town this weekend, but we jumped right in today.  I've done Whole30 before, but this is first time doing it with me. Over the past 5 years or so, I've gone to eating a mostly Paleo diet, but really sabotaged myself after getting frustrated with my health and nothing working.  So, for me, this is an opportunity to get back on track.  I do feel much better eating this way.

Penny, I'm 40 and have the same issues you listed - alopecia, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis.  Eating paleo/whole 30 style always helps my joint pain.  

This go around I'm also working with a new-to-me integrative doctor to heal my gut with diet and some specific supplements.  I'm looking forward to doing this while working with this doctor.  

Having done this before, I can say the three things that help the most to stick with it are COMMITMENT, SUPPORT, & PREPARATION.  Yesterday, I went grocery shopping.  Today, I cleaned out my pantry and plan on tackling the fridge tonight.  I've got 2 roasted chickens, bone broth, mayo, and chopped veggies ready to go as well as many of my other go-to favorites. I'll make a couple of Whole30 dressings tonight too to have ready. 

Nice post, @Brad C! I do a bunch of bad stuff too...addicted to cough drops and the amount of doctoring I do to my coffee would probably make you all gasp. I also love me some Micky D's! I'm a total popcorn addict too! I like to starve myself in the mornings and lunch times and then pig out at dinner and desert afterwards or I go all wonky and eat breakfast and munch on chips and salsa and donuts, etc. It's crazy! 
Since moving to Indiana a year ago, I just really let myself go wild. I have some other family here and lots of "functions" to attend and movies, etc. All excuses to overeat! I am one who eats too much just because it tastes good and then I'm kicking myself and saying "I shouldn't have eaten this" or "I should've stopped at...". Anyway, trying AGAIN to nip those bad habits in the bud. I did a couple successful W30's but they didn't stick, because my bad habits were right back with a vengeance! Nothing against W30 at all...just my own bad habits and cravings! 
Anyway, great to have you all on this thread and will try to keep each other motivated! Rooting for each one of you and myself!
tj

Oh my goodness, I found the most AMAZING Whole30-compliant foods at Costco! I definitely didn't think they would have so much to offer! And most of them are super easy to put together into a meal. I'm winging my meal planning (because I despise it so very, very much that I simply would never do this program if I had to meal plan and do twice-weekly cookfests where I waste my whole damn day) and this made it just about as easy as it could be! 

Here's what I got (in case you want to go look for it too): 

• Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork (just boil the package for 12-15 minutes and it's ready to go)
  • Aidells Chicken and Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage
  • Parma Prosciutto di Parma
  • Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut 
  • True Story Organic Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Snack Packs (can you say post-workout meal anyone?)

They had lots of other stuff too! Avocado oil, spice blends, guacamole, etc.! Go check it out, you might be surprised what you find! 

I hope everyone had an excellent Day 1 and are feeling strong and confident!

On 9/14/2017 at 4:18 PM, Brad C said:

TJ - I am also planning on starting on September 18th.  I am very nervous about this -- I have had the book for over a year, and have shared info with my parents, but this is the first time I am serious about starting it for myself.  I am a pretty athletic guy, but I have been eating like CRAP the last year or so, with lots of sugar, soda, processed food, etc.  I am anxious to start so I can have better energy, sleep better, etc.  Looking forward to propping you up along the way if possible, and vice versa.  Good luck to you and hope to hear of your (and your mom's) successes!

Brad c 

im also starting strict on whole 30 today September 18th have done whole thirty for a year... but last couple months with baking .. entertaining...got a little off track need to go on the straight and narrow. I love whole 30 and how I feel on whole 30 is the thing I love the most. With what you said you have been eating...I can't wait to hear how you feel as you progress on it. going to bed at night and then waking up feeling amazing...because you didn't snack on anything bad...first day down.....

7 hours ago, Momo MK said:

How did everyone's first day go? 

Well, mine went fairly well until I developed a bad headache in the evening. I was craving something sweet after dinner too, but ate a few grapes. Only problem was that it made me too stuffed and so sleeping with that stuffed feeling and with the headache was troublesome. Feeling better this morning and on to a new day! How about you?

5 hours ago, AthenaC said:

Brad c 

im also starting strict on whole 30 today September 18th have done whole thirty for a year... but last couple months with baking .. entertaining...got a little off track need to go on the straight and narrow. I love whole 30 and how I feel on whole 30 is the thing I love the most. With what you said you have been eating...I can't wait to hear how you feel as you progress on it. going to bed at night and then waking up feeling amazing...because you didn't snack on anything bad...first day down.....

@AthenaC, you've done W30 for a year? Wow....you're a rockstar! I tried one time to go for 90 days and didn't even make 30. 

Hello everyone!

I started my Whole 30 yesterday as well, do you mind if I join you?  I'm 38, and I'm continuing a year of very high stress where I gained back all of the weight I lost 3 years ago, it has me feeling pretty depressed.  I'm really looking forward to feeling better, and seeing some weight loss at the end of these 30 days (or so) and then considering some reintroduction.

Slaying the Sugar Dragon is going to be tough for me.. Im a 3-4 cups of coffee (with 2-3 sugars each.. = 12 packs of sugar a day?!) kind of guy, and I've quite that entirely.  I picked up a sampler pack of loose leaf tea from a site a friend recommended, and I've been enjoying exploring some different tea's.  So far (granted only 1 day in) it's been a success.

Thanks for the tip about Costco, @kirbz, I'm thinking about making a trip too.

Here we go everyone.. Day 2!

@kirbz @DrewMc @Tj V @Tara R @AthenaC @Momo MK @R_Stan06 @3boysandagirl  @Mike5858 @AH117 @PennyJane @Nancy61 @kitkat90 @tayrex03 LET'S GOOO!!!!!!! We can do this!  Woke up a little hungry, and still feeling a little hungry and foggy after breakfast.  Walked into the faculty room and there on the table was a box of donut holes...just calling my name.  But I walked right past.  I was going to go back -- but then I came on here, and realized that I am not alone!  Gonna persevere through whatever I go through these next few days, so that I can feel good like @AthenaC mentioned.  Hang tough through the headaches, the fatigue, the sniffles, the cravings, etc. everyone -- WE CAN DO THIS!!!!  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"...

Welcome, @DrewMc! The more the merrier! I too am a sugar junkie! Have had headaches the past two days, but this too shall pass. I switched to decaf or should I say I'm in the process of switching, but I used to put a huge amount of chocolate creamer in my coffee, for each cup! It was sugar free, but really our bodies see it as sugar, don't they? Anyway, welcome to the group!

So proud of you, @Brad C! That was a huge temptation! Too bad others don't go on the W30 with us, huh? Well, I don't really have that issue, but still I get the cravings. Lots I think is just because I know I can't have it. Yesterday I had to run to the store for some green onions and was tempted by everything! Then I stopped in at the gas station and was like "Oh, gummy worms! YUM!" I don't even really eat gummy worms! 
Anyhow, good job!!! Stay strong!
tj

Glad to see so many people joining the group!  I got through Day 1 just fine.  I'm a little "off" this morning, but not bad.  The only issue I had yesterday was no desert and decaf after dinner.  I did the decaf (black), but felt like I was missing something (the sweets).  I realized it was just habit, and I wasn't hungry at all, and the feeling passed.  Only one day, but like Brad said, it all starts with one step.  I do need to drink some more water during the day.  That's never been an issue for me in the past, but I realized yesterday I had not drank nearly enough water.  Good luck to everyone today.  Thanks to all who are sharing tips and shopping ideas!

Mike

Hello all...I'm happy that this time there are so many doing it with me..and I can talk about it...it will help to say no to cravings... I remember the first time I did it...the headache is normal...don't worry...it means the sugar is leaving your body...I know..I'm a sugar addict... and now after one year it's easier to say no and walk away.  Also plan on feeling listless...and no energy...till one day in the next month you feel great...and do not under any circumstances step on the scale!!! The weight is not important right now..but at the end you will be so amazed because it will show on the scale. I read and re read the whole 30 philosophy...it helped know why I felt the way I felt. My first day went okay...at night I wish I didn't snack..I had an apple and some  squash seeds toasted...tonite I'm promising myself no snacks...if you can stick to the 3 meals it's good...if you want a snack okay too.  I will let you know how that goes for me! Off to work...where I'm so busy I don't think about food! When I come home is when I crave...but I will look forward to your comments and I won't want to eat what I can't have! Have a great 2nd day!

Athena 

4 hours ago, Tj V said:

Well, mine went fairly well until I developed a bad headache in the evening. I was craving something sweet after dinner too, but ate a few grapes. Only problem was that it made me too stuffed and so sleeping with that stuffed feeling and with the headache was troublesome. Feeling better this morning and on to a new day! How about you?

I am sorry to hear about your headache :( Glad you're feeling better and ready for the new day. Mine went well- I was craving something sweet after dinner so badly but I took a couple of deep breaths and had some tea and that seemed to work. Now that the first day is done, I am feeling a little confident. Have a wonderful and healthy day! 

@Mike5858, my sister said she is following the menu plan in the W30 book and so far she loves it! I guess I'm gonna have to check that out. I usually don't go for those because they always have fish and I hate fish, but I guess I can sub something else. 
Dealing with a headache and low energy today....boo. I'll get past this! 
@AthenaC thanks for all the tips. It helps! Have a great day at work!

1 hour ago, Brad C said:

@kirbz @DrewMc @Tj V @Tara R @AthenaC @Momo MK @R_Stan06 @3boysandagirl  @Mike5858 @AH117 @PennyJane @Nancy61 @kitkat90 @tayrex03 LET'S GOOO!!!!!!! We can do this!  Woke up a little hungry, and still feeling a little hungry and foggy after breakfast.  Walked into the faculty room and there on the table was a box of donut holes...just calling my name.  But I walked right past.  I was going to go back -- but then I came on here, and realized that I am not alone!  Gonna persevere through whatever I go through these next few days, so that I can feel good like @AthenaC mentioned.  Hang tough through the headaches, the fatigue, the sniffles, the cravings, etc. everyone -- WE CAN DO THIS!!!!  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"...

Great job Brad! That is not an easy one!

@Momo MK, thanks! I think tonight I'll try my favorite tea, Licorice Spice. It has a sweetness to it and it's super yummy! Maybe that will cut out the cravings. I'm used to eating cough drop after cough drop while watching tv. I know...sounds weird, but I got hooked on those Halls Mentholyptus Cherry drops! Anyway, I'll get past it!! Thanks again! and a healthy and wonderful day to you too!

9 minutes ago, Tj V said:

@Mike5858, my sister said she is following the menu plan in the W30 book and so far she loves it! I guess I'm gonna have to check that out. I usually don't go for those because they always have fish and I hate fish, but I guess I can sub something else. 
Dealing with a headache and low energy today....boo. I'll get past this! 
@AthenaC thanks for all the tips. It helps! Have a great day at work!

@Tj V I don't eat fish either..unless it's a BBQ salmon steak...so you don't have to eat fish...after work tonite I will give some recipes I've had over the last year...you will love them!

athena

Archived