September 18 start date

Tj V

DAY 30!!!!!!!!:DB). Woo hoo!  Its always a good feeling to see things through to the end.  Yesterday was a rough one :blink:, as the kids are getting a little grouchy with their food choices.  We went to the store and picked some items for them to reintroduce.  DD chose dairy, DS will do gluten-free grains and hubs and I, a little alcohol.   I purchased a bottle of Badger Mountain organic cabernet and I'm very much looking forward to having a glass, or two!  I hope everyone has fun with reintro and for those of you still on the program, hang in there!  Nearly done!  

Happy Tuesday, all!

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah day 30!  Thanks everyone for sharing and encouraging here.  This experience has been a total reset for me and I'm glad I did it.  Quite proud in fact!  I'm sure many can relate, but the slow gaining of weight over the years has been such a mental game for me.  As I've mentioned I work with young girls and try to teach them that the number on the scale doesn't define them.  And pushing the back side of my 40's I was looking around at my peers and finding myself accepting this as part of aging.  But I was using those things to fool myself into be complacent about letting that number creep up and up.  Through this experience, seeing my old self come peeking back through and knowing I am really in control of much more than I thought, has made me almost giddy.  

We're not done yet, so look forward to hearing about reintro for everyone.  The meal planner thing is not cooperating with giving me the right recipes... so gotta get that lined out better.  

1 hour ago, Tj V said:

I'm definitely going to do the 21 day transformation after this. I considered the Keto Reset after that, both by Mark Sisson, but honestly, didn't think I could get through the holidays and be 100% compliant and when you are on Keto, you really have to be 100% compliant or your sabotaging your efforts. So, 21 day transformation and then probably Primal through the holidays. Once the first of the year hits, I'll do 21 day transformation again, then right in to the Keto Reset. 
I've got about 40 pounds I want to lose and I'm really hoping to reset that metabolism and keep it going for the duration of my life! 
It's been great getting to share this journey with all of you! Don't know if I'll pop back on here, but I might, from time to time. I wish you all the very best and thanks again for all the support! 

Good Luck Tj V, it sounds like you have a solid plan, backed with a lot of thought and research.  Keep us informed of your progress!

I do want to take a moment to thank you for inviting me to this group and this thread.  I truly believe that without the daily accountability, and support provided by this thread and it's members, I would not have made it through the entire 30 days.  Thank you for that!  I plan to be here for awhile, so I hope you'll stay in touch!

Mike

2 minutes ago, Tj V said:

You are most welcome!! I'm so glad you took me up on the invitation! Ya, I think I will stick around. You are all a great bunch and it's nice to have support. So you purchased the 21 day transformation book? I did not follow the worksheets when I did it before, but now that you've said how helpful it was, I think I'll try to do that. I believe you mentioned before that you had pretty good success with going Primal in the past, is that correct? Not at all sure about no t.v. at night. That's a biggie in this household. We basically do not turn the t.v. on until after dinner and that is the time we enjoy our programs. I really don't know if I could get my 81 year old mom on board with that. I do take Melatonin every night, so if I managed to do as you did and as the book suggests, perhaps I wouldn't have to take that stuff. Of course, I also have to take tylenol and ibuprofen for my back and neck...to many years of wearing a gun belt for work and whiplash injury which never really healed from a car wreck last year. No takey pills, no sleepy. 
That walnut crusted pumpkin pie sounds heavenly! I'll check it out! 

I understand the t.v. thing.  A way around that is to stream your programs and watch them on a device, i.e laptop, tablet, etc that has a 'blue shade', something like f.lux.  Very helpful with sleep patterns.  

3 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Luck Tj V, it sounds like you have a solid plan, backed with a lot of thought and research.  Keep us informed of your progress!

I do want to take a moment to thank you for inviting me to this group and this thread.  I truly believe that without the daily accountability, and support provided by this thread and it's members, I would not have made it through the entire 30 days.  Thank you for that!  I plan to be here for awhile, so I hope you'll stay in touch!

Mike

You are most welcome, @Mike5858! Actually I think I will stick around. Hard to imagine a better group of people to bounce ideas and questions off of, even if I'm on a different program. So happy we could all come to this thread and support each other! Here's to the rest of the journey!

6 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Yeah day 30!  Thanks everyone for sharing and encouraging here.  This experience has been a total reset for me and I'm glad I did it.  Quite proud in fact!  I'm sure many can relate, but the slow gaining of weight over the years has been such a mental game for me.  As I've mentioned I work with young girls and try to teach them that the number on the scale doesn't define them.  And pushing the back side of my 40's I was looking around at my peers and finding myself accepting this as part of aging.  But I was using those things to fool myself into be complacent about letting that number creep up and up.  Through this experience, seeing my old self come peeking back through and knowing I am really in control of much more than I thought, has made me almost giddy.  

We're not done yet, so look forward to hearing about reintro for everyone.  The meal planner thing is not cooperating with giving me the right recipes... so gotta get that lined out better.  

Yay... congrats!  This feels so good.  Glad we've all seen it through.  What meal planner do you use, @Svmomma?

2 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

I understand the t.v. thing.  A way around that is to stream your programs and watch them on a device, i.e laptop, tablet, etc that has a 'blue shade', something like f.lux.  Very helpful with sleep patterns.  

I'm gonna check in to that @dmrob2009, thanks for the tip.

Just now, dmrob2009 said:

Yay... congrats!  This feels so good.  Glad we've all seen it through.  What meal planner do you use, @Svmomma?

Realmeals... the one that Whole30 offers. Cost $30 for the month, but it was worth it for the planning/shopping list app.  It has a nice setting for getting your reintro set up based on the days you want to intro things, but is throwing ingredients to early.  Not hard to manipulate, but still.  May get tech support on it.

1 minute ago, Svmomma said:

Realmeals... the one that Whole30 offers. Cost $30 for the month, but it was worth it for the planning/shopping list app.  It has a nice setting for getting your reintro set up based on the days you want to intro things, but is throwing ingredients to early.  Not hard to manipulate, but still.  May get tech support on it.

I'll have to check th out.  Thanks!

Happy Day 30 Everyone!!!!!   I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to type that at a few points in the journey, but to be honest, the last 4-5 days have been pretty easy for me.  I will take Kirbz's warning though, that the next few days could be full of temptations.  I plan to start re-intro (I'm assuming I get through today compliant, how awful if I didn't?) with bread and a little pasta.  Following the ideas from the book, I'll have toast (I use sprouted grain bread) with breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and pasta with meat sauce and Italian bread from the bakery.  Then totally W30 compliant Thursday and Friday to see what happens.  Saturday is alcohol (I was kidding my wife about have mimosa's with Saturday breakfast to beat the rush!)  We should be free to start our journey to "Food Freedom" starting this time next week.  Someone left a link for the Paleo Leap website and the Primal Blueprint.  I'm trying to mess together a conglomeration (with the help of my sister in law, who knows this stuff inside and out) of those two plans, plus W30, added exercise (joining the gym this weekend), and an occasional "treat".  I'll stay in touch and let you how it works for me.

I just have to say how proud I am of all of you that stuck it out for the 30 days.  Your support, struggles, empathy, and humor helped me get through more than any of you will ever know.  We started out with a really big group (I think I counted 25-26 at one point in the first two days), and it dwindled down to a handful.  I hope some of those we didn't see again, just chose to stop posting and finished on their own, but I don't believe that to be the case for most.  I wish them all the luck in the world if they chose to try again.  Those of you who did finish, deserve a huge pat on the back!  I don't care what the book says, this IS hard.  I get the whole "fighting cancer is hard, drinking your coffee black isn't" jingle and slogan, but changing your relationship with food, even for just 30 days is monumental in my opinion.  Your interactions with your family, friends and co-workers is hard.  The struggle and panic of simply having a meal out of the house for the first few times is hard.  Missing celebrations, or leaving early, or just not being comfortable when everyone you love is having the same drink you've enjoyed with them for decades and you can't, is hard.  You know what though?  YOU ALL DID IT!  Congrats and let's stick together through reintro at least.  

Have a WONDERFUL Day and be PROUD of yourselves!

Mike

11 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 30 Everyone!!!!!   I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to type that at a few points in the journey, but to be honest, the last 4-5 days have been pretty easy for me.  I will take Kirbz's warning though, that the next few days could be full of temptations.  I plan to start re-intro (I'm assuming I get through today compliant, how awful if I didn't?) with bread and a little pasta.  Following the ideas from the book, I'll have toast (I use sprouted grain bread) with breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and pasta with meat sauce and Italian bread from the bakery.  Then totally W30 compliant Thursday and Friday to see what happens.  Saturday is alcohol (I was kidding my wife about have mimosa's with Saturday breakfast to beat the rush!)  We should be free to start our journey to "Food Freedom" starting this time next week.  Someone left a link for the Paleo Leap website and the Primal Blueprint.  I'm trying to mess together a conglomeration (with the help of my sister in law, who knows this stuff inside and out) of those two plans, plus W30, added exercise (joining the gym this weekend), and an occasional "treat".  I'll stay in touch and let you how it works for me.

I just have to say how proud I am of all of you that stuck it out for the 30 days.  Your support, struggles, empathy, and humor helped me get through more than any of you will ever know.  We started out with a really big group (I think I counted 25-26 at one point in the first two days), and it dwindled down to a handful.  I hope some of those we didn't see again, just chose to stop posting and finished on their own, but I don't believe that to be the case for most.  I wish them all the luck in the world if they chose to try again.  Those of you who did finish, deserve a huge pat on the back!  I don't care what the book says, this IS hard.  I get the whole "fighting cancer is hard, drinking your coffee black isn't" jingle and slogan, but changing your relationship with food, even for just 30 days is monumental in my opinion.  Your interactions with your family, friends and co-workers is hard.  The struggle and panic of simply having a meal out of the house for the first few times is hard.  Missing celebrations, or leaving early, or just not being comfortable when everyone you love is having the same drink you've enjoyed with them for decades and you can't, is hard.  You know what though?  YOU ALL DID IT!  Congrats and let's stick together through reintro at least.  

Mike

@Mike5858, sounds like you have a good plan too! And thanks for the words of encouragement and for your willingness to be open with your journey too. You be proud of yourself too!! You did it! We will see you around here and good luck! 

17 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Mike

Thank you so much for the encouragement, @Mike5858! This has been a difficult journey, to say the least!  I'm proud of everyone, too and was also thinking about several who used to post but are no longer here. I wish them all well and hopefully some did manage on their own.   I think @kirbz was right about reintro.  This is going to be the hardest part, but I think we're all up to the challenge!  Having said that, have fun with your grains tomorrow, Mike!  

I just wanted to say how proud of my two kiddos for making it to the finish line today.  This is hard enough for adults, but for sugarholic, cheese-a-tarian kiddos ages 11 and 13, it's a bit torturous. LOL. Yay, kids!  They are stoked for reintro.  Trying to remind them that it's not going to be a free-for-all!!

3 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

I just wanted to say how proud of my two kiddos for making it to the finish line today.  This is hard enough for adults, but for sugarholic, cheese-a-tarian kiddos ages 11 and 13, it's a bit torturous. LOL. Yay, kids!  They are stoked for reintro.  Trying to remind them that it's not going to be a free-for-all!!

Has a "reintro" thread been started for this group yet?   Congrats to your kids for going along with a Whole 30.  That says a lot about them (and their parents!).  I sure would have had some BIG problems at that age with this!  :lol:

Hi all!! Huge congrats on getting to Day30... amazing! Honestly, it is so inspiring to see you finish your journey. I am on Day 23 and getting there. Still feeling a little tired of the program but as you said earlier, the last few days do tend to go quickly. I was walking past some chocolate stores earlier on the way to work and feeling the tug of just returning to my old patterns - kinda like you mentioned @kirbz - but I know I want to see this through. I'm so interested in following your reintro journey, so if you guys do set up another thread, I might join along with that too. 

Thanks so much for welcoming me on board - I know 7 days is a big difference and I felt so silly when I posted to this tread thinking it was Sept 18 (when it was actually the 25), but I'm so so glad I could join. Like @Mike5858 said, I genuinely didn't think I'd get so far and I really do believe it was this community that helped me through. Especially as many of you could relate to experiencing this a few days before. @Svmomma and @dmrob2009 love the recipes and planner suggestions... i'm definitely starting into reintro dreaming mode like you were last week so going to take a look at some of these options now :):) Thanks so so much again for all your support, I'm really hoping to finish strong! And you guys have rocked this, you should all be so so proud!

7 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Has a "reintro" thread been started for this group yet?   Congrats to your kids for going along with a Whole 30.  That says a lot about them (and their parents!).  I sure would have had some BIG problems at that age with this!  :lol:

Me, too.  Not sure I could have done it at their ages.  

1 minute ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all!! Huge congrats on getting to Day30... amazing! Honestly, it is so inspiring to see you finish your journey. I am on Day 23 and getting there. Still feeling a little tired of the program but as you said earlier, the last few days do tend to go quickly. I was walking past some chocolate stores earlier on the way to work and feeling the tug of just returning to my old patterns - kinda like you mentioned @kirbz - but I know I want to see this through. I'm so interested in following your reintro journey, so if you guys do set up another thread, I might join along with that too. 

Thanks so much for welcoming me on board - I know 7 days is a big difference and I felt so silly when I posted to this tread thinking it was Sept 18 (when it was actually the 25), but I'm so so glad I could join. Like @Mike5858 said, I genuinely didn't think I'd get so far and I really do believe it was this community that helped me through. Especially as many of you could relate to experiencing this a few days before. @Svmomma and @dmrob2009 love the recipes and planner suggestions... i'm definitely starting into reintro dreaming mode like you were last week so going to take a look at some of these options now :):) Thanks so so much again for all your support, I'm really hoping to finish strong! And you guys have rocked this, you should all be so so proud!

I hope you do follow to the reintro thread... not sure if it's been set up yet.  Planning for reintro is fun... probably why the week goes by so quickly.  Hang in there!  You're on the home stretch now!

Do we need to start a reintro group, or can we change the name of this one and continue on?  I'm also proud of all of us, everyone has been so nice and encouraging and just, well, civil!  Right now, that is a blessing when talking to people you don't know on the internet.  I'm trying to be realistic about reintro, and watch for traps.  We had a little lunchy thing at work yesterday, for "Boss's Day."  I'm not the boss, btw.  Anyhow, we all brought stuff, I brought naked chicken wings I fried in my air fryer, and basically that is all I ate, plus an apple.  There was cake, pizza, pasta salad, sweetened tea, and I just ate my wings.  I was kind of expecting people to push the other food, but honestly, I don't think anyone noticed.  I really expected the same thing with my friends in the restaurant Friday night, with no wine and less fancy food, and nobody seemed to pay any attention but me.  As I said before, I'm starting reintro with gluten free grains, specifically gluten free grits for breakfast (country girl..) and then I'll give it a couple days.  If ok, wine on Sat.  Then another couple days of w30.  I have no real interest in adding back legumes or dairy, although at some point my own kefir or yogurt is a possible.  I'm driving 12 hours tomorrow (to my mom's house) and I'm going to take a little cooler with slices of chicken breast, guac, some sweet potato chips and La Croix to eat along the way.  I'm also taking the cheese I moved to freezer at the start of this, and maybe a few other things, to donate to my mom and my sisters.  I may be offline for a few days (certainly the driving days), but I will be back.  I'm interested in at least looking at the 21 day reset you were mentioning.  I'm not great with spelled out plans, though.  I like to see what I feel like at the time.  For example, I had a chicken breast and guac for breakfast today.  I also checked RealPlans, and chatted with support, but they do not leave the option open to modify by what is available/fresh.  I get most all of my produce from a local co-op, we have a fixed bin of what is locally fresh each week, and then some things available to add-on that change each week.  I think I'm good with making the meal plans myself, but the walk through the circadian rhythm modifications would be nice.  Thanks for the info about using the blue light screen and streaming at night, I'm also a "falls asleep with tv on" person and that would be a hard cycle to break.  I do use the sleep thing to turn it off, so it doesn't stay on for hours in the room once I'm out.  I worked night shifts for many years, and I think I totally ruined my circadian rhythm.  Before this month, I was using heavy doses of melatonin at night just to fall asleep, so I've gotten than monkey off my back and I can see how much better I feel already.  So, happy reintro everyone!

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Do we need to start a reintro group, or can we change the name of this one and continue on? 

In order to keep the main boards easy to navigate and non confusing for newbies, we ask that someone in your group start a reintro group in the After whole30 section of the forum so that you can freely discuss reintros and 'off plan' foods.  Thanks for checking!

32 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

In order to keep the main boards easy to navigate and non confusing for newbies, we ask that someone in your group start a reintro group in the After whole30 section of the forum so that you can freely discuss reintros and 'off plan' foods.  Thanks for checking!

Okay, starting one now entitled 'Sept 18 start date reintro'

Link added by mod :)

Archived