September 18 start date

Tj V

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work everyone! It's inspiring to hear all of your day-to-day victories in overcoming food cravings and bad habits! Let's keep this up! 

Tonight will likely be a big test for me. I'm going to a networking event for work and there will be drinks and appetizers. The drinks won't be hard since I don't drink and never have. But it will be hard to ignore the appetizers. I'm thinking I'll eat a small something before I go so I'm not hungry. And then it will just be overcoming the mental challenge. It may seem stupid but it's a super fancy restaurant and work is paying for it so it will be hard to ignore the opportunity to eat decadent food I would never pay for myself! LOL, wish me strong motivation and a good outcome! 

I thought we were supposed to have protein and veggies at every meal. Am I missing something? I thought we had to have veggies with every meal, even breakfast. Did I read something wrong or did they change the criteria? Last time I did my log and submitted it, they told me I had to have veggies with each meal and at least a palm sized (width x thickness) helping of protein, along with at least a thumb sized portion of good fat. I guess Salsa could be considered a veggie, but I think you might need more food than 2 eggs and salsa with 1/4 avocado. If not...woo hoo! I'm golden. I can cut down my food intake. Anyone wanna help me out here? 

Everyone, I found this food template to refer to. I noticed a couple people didn't "appear" to be eating veggies with breakfast. Of course, it goes without saying that maybe they didn't just talk about the veggies they had, but thought I'd post this for everyone's reference if needed. 

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@Tj V My understanding is the same as yours. You should be having veggies with every meal, even breakfast! It seems weird but I think part of the program is to re-wire how your brain thinks of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think that's why you'll find a lot of references to Meal 1, Meal 2, and Meal 2 instead. I know I'm trying to think that way (though it's hard). 

As for eggs, my understanding is that if eggs are your only protein source for breakfast, you should eat as many as you could hold in one hand (so like 5 for some people with large hands). Meals on Whole30 are big and I think that's okay! I know I'm opting for large meals because I don't want to find myself hungry and tempted to slip up! 

My biggest struggle is fat. If I'm eating a fatty meat (like salmon or sausage) does that count as the fat or do I need extra? If I cook with the fat, does that count since a lot of it is likely cooked off? So far, I've been opting for avocado for fat but I don't want that with every meal so I'd appreciate some different ideas or advice!

15 minutes ago, Brad C said:

@kirbz you've got this!  Pray for some bacon-wrapped scallops, station yourself at the door when they come out, and have at it! :D

@Brad C Thanks for the encouragement! Unfortunately, the bacon would most likely have sugar so that would be a no go! LOL. I'm just going in with the idea that nothing will be compliant because I would have to be way too much of a pain in the ass to find out if something is compliant than would be appropriate for me for a work situation where the food is paid for. So I'm just planning to have nothing! I think that will make is easier for me as it will be a simple, black-and-white decision! 

@Brad C - Nice job overcoming that temptation!  Having this as a place to talk about what we're all going through is going to help a lot, I agree @AthenaC.

Hey @mmwtrance - This thread looks much more popular then mine was :-)

Whole30-Timeline-COLOR-Smaller.jpg

Thought you all might like this calendar!  I printed out a copy for the fridge and Im moving a little Egg-Man magnet forward day for day.  Some of you are on the Dragon Day (4) I think? and the rest of us in Day 2.  

"It is not Hard.. curing cancer is hard.. drinking your coffee black is not hard".

@kirbz, I use ghee on my green beans in the morning and if you have veggies at lunch that are cooked, you could do the same. Also, if you are having salad, you could put Olive Oil on it. I love having avocado with brekkie, but haven't made it to the store yet to pick some up. I use ghee and avocado as my "go to" for fat, for the most part. I think if you're having a pork chop or steak or some fatty meat for dinner, that could count as fat, but I don't have any definitive proof of that. That's how I do it and so far I haven't been challenged by one of the moderators. Again, good luck tonight! You got this!

3 hours ago, AthenaC said:

I had 2 eggs and blueberries and my lovely 2 shot americano! Soon you coffee drinkers will love straight coffee....I promise!

Athena, I've been drinking black coffee since I was in the Army years ago.  It's the one part of the program I wasn't worried about!

Guess maybe I need to work harder on veggies at breakfast.  I do add spinach, peppers, and onions to my eggs, but there's not a ton of them, maybe a handful.  One step at a time I guess, as long as it's compliant.  I didn't feel hungry at all yesterday, that's for sure.

My breakfasts are either eggs scrambled with veggies or sausage & veggie hash. I purposely roast extra veggies in the evenings so I have leftovers for mornings and lunches. 

Last night I made a Chicken Lime Avocado Soup that was great with some raw veggies on the side.  Tonight we're doing Burrito Bowls.  Tomorrow it's Pumpkin Soup.  I'm trying to get in Bone Broth everyday and I don't like it by itself so I'll be making a lot of soups this go 'round. Plus leftover soup is so easy to heat up for lunch.  

I like salad but get tired of them easily so I do sometimes struggle to get enough leafy greens, but I try to add spinach and kale whenever I can to help that.

37 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Guess maybe I need to work harder on veggies at breakfast.  I do add spinach, peppers, and onions to my eggs, but there's not a ton of them, maybe a handful.  One step at a time I guess, as long as it's compliant.  I didn't feel hungry at all yesterday, that's for sure.

I ...I mean my husband cooks with a little avacado oil ...onions and mushrooms just a few and an egg or two... then I have some kind of fruit...and maybe a slice of avacado...I don't eat a lot of veggies in morning...I can't stomach it...I didn't think it was mandatory to have veggies...but if you like them...great. i have something that I did almost everyday of whole 30.. raw brownie bites...so satisfies craving after dinner...I ate it immediately after dinner ...so technically couldn't call it snacking...and literally the act of making them satisfies me...if anyone is interested let me know ..I don't want to post something that would be wrong.

athena

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, AthenaC said:

I ...I mean my husband cooks with a little avacado oil ...onions and mushrooms just a few and an egg or two... then I have some kind of fruit...and maybe a slice of avacado...I don't eat a lot of veggies in morning...I can't stomach it...I didn't think it was mandatory to have veggies...but if you like them...great. i have something that I did almost everyday of whole 30.. raw brownie bites...so satisfies craving after dinner...I ate it immediately after dinner ...so technically couldn't call it snacking...and literally the act of making them satisfies me...if anyone is interested let me know ..I don't want to post something that would be wrong.

athena

I don't know what a raw brownie bite is but if it's anything that is a concoction of dates, alternative flours/nuts, cocoa etc, that would not be compliant.

@Tj V - the meal teamplate is just a recommendation. It's a recommendation for best possible results, but eating veggies at every meal is not actually a rule. We often will give people a nudge in the direction of the meal template if they are not feeling well, hungry all the time, cranky, tired etc. We do believe that everyone should follow the meal template.........but if you just wanted to eat compliant bacon and almond butter for every meal, that would technically also be a Whole30. ;) 

@AthenaC I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but eating brownies is definitely against the Whole30 rules, which state: "Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients." So, while it will be hard, you can do this! Just give up those brownie bites for 30 days and then they can be a great part of your food freedom!! 

For reference, here is more detail directly from the Whole30 Program Rules listed on the website: 

"Recreating or buying sweets, treats, and foods-with-no-brakes (even if the ingredients are technically compliant) is totally missing the point of the Whole30, and will compromise your life-changing results. These are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, even if it is made with coconut flour. Some specific foods that fall under this rule include: pancakes, waffles, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pizza crust, cereal, or ice cream. No commercially-prepared chips (potato, tortilla, plantain, etc.) or French fries either. However, this list is not limited strictly to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings. Our mantra: When in doubt, leave it out. It’s only 30 days."

55 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I don't know what a raw brownie bite is but if it's anything that is a concoction of dates, alternative flours/nuts, cocoa etc, that would not be compliant.

@Tj V - the meal teamplate is just a recommendation. It's a recommendation for best possible results, but eating veggies at every meal is not actually a rule. We often will give people a nudge in the direction of the meal template if they are not feeling well, hungry all the time, cranky, tired etc. We do believe that everyone should follow the meal template.........but if you just wanted to eat compliant bacon and almond butter for every meal, that would technically also be a Whole30. ;) 

Awesome!!!! Oh I'm doing a happy dance right now!!!! Woot! I do get enough veggies and I like salad alot, but I don't always have the desire for veggies with brekkie! I do love green beans with it, but some mornings it isn't all that. So, yay! Thank you, @ladyshanny!! You've made my day!

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

@3boysandagirl That Chicken Lime Avocado Soup sounds amazing! Is there a reference (i.e., where to find the recipe) or recipe you can share? I don't eat many soups but I'd like to give one a try! 

@kirbz Here is the link.  The recipe itself is Whole30 compliant but the optional toppings she mentions are not.  https://www.cookingclassy.com/chicken-avocado-lime-soup/

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

@AthenaC I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but eating brownies is definitely against the Whole30 rules, which state: "Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients." So, while it will be hard, you can do this! Just give up those brownie bites for 30 days and then they can be a great part of your food freedom!! 

For reference, here is more detail directly from the Whole30 Program Rules listed on the website: 

"Recreating or buying sweets, treats, and foods-with-no-brakes (even if the ingredients are technically compliant) is totally missing the point of the Whole30, and will compromise your life-changing results. These are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, even if it is made with coconut flour. Some specific foods that fall under this rule include: pancakes, waffles, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pizza crust, cereal, or ice cream. No commercially-prepared chips (potato, tortilla, plantain, etc.) or French fries either. However, this list is not limited strictly to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings. Our mantra: When in doubt, leave it out. It’s only 30 days."

I know for me...I can't try making goodies even if it's technically W30 compliant and you're right, @kirbz, however, even though it does say what you quoted in the rules. I found this a ways below it. It's troubling for me just because I could allow myself to go all wonky with it. So, technically, those brownie bites, with 1 date don't sound so wrong, if you can keep that sugar dragon down. I won't be buying Lara Bars or making my own though....no worries. I know it would sabotage me. Here's the info. I copied it off the Rules vs Recommendations page:
"There are a few commercially available dried-fruit-and-nut bars compliant with our Whole30 rules. In the U.S., we’ve got 4 flavors of RxBars and 11 flavors of Larabars; in the U.K. you’ve got a half-dozen or so Nak’d bars that fit the bill. There are also a number of recipes for homemade no-sugar-added “energy bars” (like these from Stupid Easy Paleo). Every time we talk about these fruit-and-nut bars, we say the same thing: “They’re on-the-go emergency food, perfect for long hikes, business travel, or unexpected late nights at the office.” We caution you not to use these as-close-to-candy-as-you-can-get convenience foods in place of real food, but that’s just a very strong recommendation. Overuse these or lean on them too hard when you’re craving sweets and you’ll find yourself on Day 31 with the same roaring Sugar Dragon that led you to us in the first place… but that’s your business. As long as the ingredients are all compliant, you’re still 100% doing the Whole30, no matter how you choose to use these in your program."

Archived