September 18 start date

Tj V

@BadWolf0405, no worries. I was just wondering and saw you all hadn't listed it, but suspected you included it. Now I find out that we don't "technically" have to have veggies at every meal. I will probably still have veggies, for the most part, cause I know they are super good for me and I don't want to get hungry between meals, but after I was told I wasn't having enough protein with my lunch (7 layer salad and lunch meat), today I added 2 hard boiled eggs and now I'm too full to eat dinner! I'll have to choke something down later, but I'm thankful to find out we don't "have" to have so much veggies, if we don't want. I'm assuming the protein portion is pretty hard and fast though. I'm not trying to starve myself as I know I'd sabotage myself with it. Anyway, power on.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mike5858 said:

Guess maybe I need to work harder on veggies at breakfast.  I do add spinach, peppers, and onions to my eggs, but there's not a ton of them, maybe a handful.  One step at a time I guess, as long as it's compliant.  I didn't feel hungry at all yesterday, that's for sure.

@Mike5858, see the response I got from the Moderator reference veggies with every meal. You're good.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Tj V said:

I know for me...I can't try making goodies even if it's technically W30 compliant and you're right, @kirbz, however, even though it does say what you quoted in the rules. I found this a ways below it. It's troubling for me just because I could allow myself to go all wonky with it. So, technically, those brownie bites, with 1 date don't sound so wrong, if you can keep that sugar dragon down. I won't be buying Lara Bars or making my own though....no worries. I know it would sabotage me. Here's the info. I copied it off the Rules vs Recommendations page:
"There are a few commercially available dried-fruit-and-nut bars compliant with our Whole30 rules. In the U.S., we’ve got 4 flavors of RxBars and 11 flavors of Larabars; in the U.K. you’ve got a half-dozen or so Nak’d bars that fit the bill. There are also a number of recipes for homemade no-sugar-added “energy bars” (like these from Stupid Easy Paleo). Every time we talk about these fruit-and-nut bars, we say the same thing: “They’re on-the-go emergency food, perfect for long hikes, business travel, or unexpected late nights at the office.” We caution you not to use these as-close-to-candy-as-you-can-get convenience foods in place of real food, but that’s just a very strong recommendation. Overuse these or lean on them too hard when you’re craving sweets and you’ll find yourself on Day 31 with the same roaring Sugar Dragon that led you to us in the first place… but that’s your business. As long as the ingredients are all compliant, you’re still 100% doing the Whole30, no matter how you choose to use these in your program."

Ya, you can make your own "larabar". I should have been more specific, it's the cocoa in this particular one that makes it non-compliant. No using chocolate in sweet things.

Also worth noting: using sweets (fruits, dates, nuts, energy balls) in order to try and slay a Sugar Dragon is a loosing proposition. All you're really doing is keeping him/her in a content hibernation, waiting for when actual sweets hit the menu. We really, really, really don't recommend that people use larabars/energy bites etc for anything other than near-death emergencies and certainly not for getting a sugar dragon to quiet down.

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Tj V said:

@BadWolf0405, no worries. I was just wondering and saw you all hadn't listed it, but suspected you included it. Now I find out that we don't "technically" have to have veggies at every meal. I will probably still have veggies, for the most part, cause I know they are super good for me and I don't want to get hungry between meals, but after I was told I wasn't having enough protein with my lunch (7 layer salad and lunch meat), today I added 2 hard boiled eggs and now I'm too full to eat dinner! I'll have to choke something down later, but I'm thankful to find out we don't "have" to have so much veggies, if we don't want. I'm assuming the protein portion is pretty hard and fast though. I'm not trying to starve myself as I know I'd sabotage myself with it. Anyway, power on.

It's all about finding that balance that works the best for you. The meal template is a range so some people are going to feel better with more protein and some with less. It's how you get from meal to meal comfortably. It's how your energy is, your sleep, your poops, your mood etc. If Whole30 is a departure from a person's norm (ie, they were used to eating a lot of processed foods without breaks or maybe they've had a lifetime of dieting/restriction/binging), it can definitely be a learning process on what exactly fuels them the best, meal to meal.

Keep paying attention, you've got this!

Got through Day 2.  I had a big lunch, so dinner was actually pretty small, just some grilled chicken and a salad.  I'm really quite full from today, but I think a little of it has to do with the 95 degree weather, that always makes me sluggish.  Looking forward to tomorrow!

Mike

I got thru the day with no snacking! Yay! Still struggling with acid reflux and can't take tums so will have to go with otc acid reflux pills. Still a bit of a headache, but much better than last night! I'll take it! Moving forward to Day 3!

1 hour ago, Tj V said:

I got thru the day with no snacking! Yay! Still struggling with acid reflux and can't take tums so will have to go with otc acid reflux pills. Still a bit of a headache, but much better than last night! I'll take it! Moving forward to Day 3!

Sounds like you did great...came home from work starving ...my husband made ribs...had salad and half a sweet potatoe..and I'm eating an apple...I'm done for the night! I already feel great! Ready for day 3 too!

13 hours ago, Brad C said:

@kirbz @DrewMc @Tj V @Tara R @AthenaC @Momo MK @R_Stan06 @3boysandagirl  @Mike5858 @AH117 @PennyJane @Nancy61 @kitkat90 @tayrex03 LET'S GOOO!!!!!!! We can do this!  Woke up a little hungry, and still feeling a little hungry and foggy after breakfast.  Walked into the faculty room and there on the table was a box of donut holes...just calling my name.  But I walked right past.  I was going to go back -- but then I came on here, and realized that I am not alone!  Gonna persevere through whatever I go through these next few days, so that I can feel good like @AthenaC mentioned.  Hang tough through the headaches, the fatigue, the sniffles, the cravings, etc. everyone -- WE CAN DO THIS!!!!  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"...

How did it feel to walk past those donuts??? Pretty good I'm betting!

Just now joining, but also started yesterday for my first time. After never having heard about Whole30, I listened to a podcast interview of Melissa's story on Saturday about her goals not being weight loss but our relationship to food, plus all the reduction of inflammatory results, I jumped in on Sunday with meal planninng.  Now reading the book and its confirming what I feared I was doing the last handful of years to sabotash all my working out, slowly feeling worse and worse, and worried about serious issues that might come my way. 

Main thing I've noticed so far has been how full I am.  Is the goal not to snack? As an athlete it goes against my grain not to have smaller meals throughout the day, but I'm going with it and just now getting schooled on all the theories.  Also is tea or coffee in the evening just a replacement for what I may have had in the past (wine or dessert, or wine then dessert LOL)?

p.s. Picked a profile pic that I normally cringe at when I see pictures of myself these days. I've slowly gained as much as 20-25 pounds in the last 8-10 years.  Would just like to see myself refreshed and not so puffy at the end of these 30 days!

Hi all -- hope everyone is making out OK.  I had a little fall from grace yesterday afternoon, from the time I ate lunch to the time I ate dinner was about 8 hours, and in between I went to my daughters' cross country meet and then ran 3 miles myself.  I ate 3 peanuts and 2 wheat thins crackers on the way out the door.  Felt guilty as hell -- but if that is as big of a slip-up as I am going to make, I will live with it.  Woke up last night with clogged nose and headache, and was worried that the sugar detox headache was going to overwhelm me.  But I took two advil and was able to go back to sleep - I don't remember if advil is frowned upon?  @Svmomma I am in the same boat as you - just eating three times is foreign to me, I always subscribed to the "energy balance" graze all day theory, but I have a feeling that after the Whole30, our energy balance will be "reset" so to speak, because I am finding that I am usually pretty full after my meals as well.  Good luck today everyone!

Good morning group!  Sounds like things are going well.  I woke up with a headache too Brad, and I'm wondering if it's the sugar detox (hope so), but that's quick if it is.  I took Advil too.  Just finished breakfast and felt like I was forcing the food in.  I guess these truly are the "hangover" days.  Have a great day 3 everyone!

Mike

I've been basically sedentary for a few years and so bought this PiYo exercise tape to do and there is NO way! I'm too weak for it. I remembered I had a beginner Tai Chi tape that I had never used, so I pulled that out and I've done it twice now (not all the way through) and it's the bomb! I've lost my balance and my legs have gotten weaker from being more sedentary and this is the ticket for both, I think! I love the fluidity of it and I can tell my balance is already improving. I'm really enjoying it. Can't do it two days in a row because my legs are like rubber right now, but it's gonna be great! I can just feel it.

I have to take mom to the dentist....her bridge just fell out of her mouth the other day! Gonna take some snacks in case it takes longer than expected. I doubt she'll be able to eat anything other than soup for lunch, but we'll work it out. I also have church tonight at 6:30 and so will have to make sure to eat before then. Have a great day everyone!!!

Glad to hear everyone's positivity after the first couple of days! We did a couple of recipes in the Whole30 cookbook, and I've been making breakfast in the mornings. Everything tastes great! My appetite is waning though, and the idea of eating food isn't exciting to the point where I ask why I am. I remind myself I am pretty active and need food. I really desparately wanted to binge on some cookies after a stressful day at work and with my grad school classes. I refrained knowing that it'd make me feel worse about myself.... even though they're SO good. 

@DrewMc @AthenaC andTo everyone struggling with that sugar dragon-you may get a kick out of this. I was woken up in the middle of the night (may have been 1 am) by my boyfriend poking my arm and telling me that today was going to be bad. Me, still partly asleep and feigning care for whatever it was asked why. He replied "I need sugar." This literally woke him up in the middle of sleep, at which point he felt the need to tell me. 

2 minutes ago, tayrex03 said:

Glad to hear everyone's positivity after the first couple of days! We did a couple of recipes in the Whole30 cookbook, and I've been making breakfast in the mornings. Everything tastes great! My appetite is waning though, and the idea of eating food isn't exciting to the point where I ask why I am. I remind myself I am pretty active and need food. I really desparately wanted to binge on some cookies after a stressful day at work and with my grad school classes. I refrained knowing that it'd make me feel worse about myself.... even though they're SO good. 

@DrewMc @AthenaC andTo everyone struggling with that sugar dragon-you may get a kick out of this. I was woken up in the middle of the night (may have been 1 am) by my boyfriend poking my arm and telling me that today was going to be bad. Me, still partly asleep and feigning care for whatever it was asked why. He replied "I need sugar." This literally woke him up in the middle of sleep, at which point he felt the need to tell me. 

Ya, I struggle with wanting something sweet too! Last night though, right after dinner, like right after, I had some red grapes. Not a whole bunch of them, but a few. I also had some Macadamia nuts and it curbed my craving for sweets while watching tv. Not saying it took it away entirely, but it was greatly diminished. That being said, those cookies sound awesome! Ok, nope! Not going there!

LOL @tayrex03, that is about how I felt last night, love that I am not alone in this.  And I am also struggling with the athletic/active thing.  I need more calories every day, and I think that I need to add in a snack meal mid-afternoon prior to exercising - some turkey meat, etc.  @Tj V I am not starting over at Day 1 -- I think my body still understands the idea of what I am doing to it - it is my brain that needs the training and the abstention from sugar and sweets.  @Mike5858 I'm right there with you -- eating is not real exciting to me right now, and breakfast was tough.  I think that means it is working though :D

@Brad C I've decided to take the route of 4 smaller meals so that I can get something in before and after a workout, since I've started using my lunch break as gym time. It definitely works well this way and I've actually not been experiencing as many cravings as I thought, I think primarily because those small meals are still filling enough for me. Also, potatoes seem to be working for the carb craving my body gets into. 

16 hours ago, Tj V said:

@erinelizabeth, you are most welcome!
@ladyshanny, so protein is flexible too, as long as we aren't starving between meals? I just had to eat way too much at lunch and it was very uncomfortable. Thanks for all your advice, btw.
@kirbz, no worries. We got this! Learning as we go, right?

Don't know if what I said posted...glad to hear everyone is doing good!

athena

Feeling very sluggish and dull headache today.  Also, sugar cravings are high.  I'm personally trying not to grab a piece a fruit when I'm craving sugar right now, just because I know sugar is my biggest weakness and I want these cravings gone completely.  Sipping hot tea or naturally flavored ice tea helps me get over the craving, at least for the moment.  

One thing that helps me as I have days like this when I'm not feeling well is knowing that it means my body is reacting and doing something.  While it may not be pleasant for the 1st week or 2, knowing it gets worse before you get the benefits is encouraging. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

1 minute ago, 3boysandagirl said:

Feeling very sluggish and dull headache today.  Also, sugar cravings are high.  I'm personally trying not to grab a piece a fruit when I'm craving sugar right now, just because I know sugar is my biggest weakness and I want these cravings gone completely.  Sipping hot tea or naturally flavored ice tea helps me get over the craving, at least for the moment.  

One thing that helps me as I have days like this when I'm not feeling well is knowing that it means my body is reacting and doing something.  While it may not be pleasant for the 1st week or 2, knowing it gets worse before you get the benefits is encouraging. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

Hi...3boysandagirl...I had absolutely no energy first time it's normal...you will get past that...hang in there!

Archived