September 18 start date

Tj V

Glad to hear everyone made it through Day 2! I had an RX bar yesterday after my workout because I was so hungry and that is all I had in my purse and just could not wait until I got home. I felt like it was a slip-up because even though it is technically compliant, it did quiet down my sugar dragon. It is almost as though my brain could not tell the difference between an Rx Bar and a cookie. That just confirmed to me that while some foods may be compliant, what is more important is if they're within the 'spirit" of the Whole 30. Just thought I would share that. 

@Brad Cif you're active, the meal template says that the pre/post work-out meal is a special bonus meal that does not replace breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is a necessary source of additional calories. Pre-workout is 15-75 mins before and should be a small amount of protein and a small amount of fat ( no fruit/ carb-dense vegetables). Post-work out would be 15-30 mins after and should be a lean protein + carb dense vegetable with little to no fat. It also says not to use fruit as a post-work out snack. 

Under forums sections of the website, there is a whole section dedicated to athletes and there are good tips and information for fueling appropriately. 

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@tayrex03 I actually had a bad dream last night that I had been drinking Smirnoff Ice the whole time I was doing the Whole 30.. until like 3 weeks in, and then @mmwtrance asked if she could have a sip.  She said "I didnt realize these were compliant..." and I panic'd .. then I woke up!  LOL. 

I guess I crave that sugar more then I thought!

I'm starting Day 5 and am still not feeling anything... No headaches, no extra tiredness, no anger. I kinda just seem to be plugging along. 

On a positive note, I successfully navigated a work happy hour last night with drinks and appetizers. It really wasn't that hard to just not do it. Of course, there wasn't any Rocky Road ice cream... LOL. 

I continue to enjoy reading your experiences, stories, successes, and failures. It's all a learning experience and I so appreciate everyone being open and sharing! 

Hi, all!

I just started the Whole30 with my family.  We are not newbs to Whole 30, but I've never been too involved with the forum, so I thought I'd give it a try for some support and accountability!  The original poster was kind enough to invite me here (thank you) so here I am.  The long/abbreviated version of our story is that my husband and I have an unhealthy relationship with food and it has begin to rub off onto our children.  DH and I are the poster children for yo-yo dieting.  We were very successful on the Primal Blueprint in 2012, but fell off the wagon somewhere along the way and we've had an impossible time getting back on track (and staying there).   At any rate, we successfully completed 2 Whole 30th runs in the last two years but never made it through the reintroduction phase.  In addition,weight loss has been my sole motivation the last two times.  We didn't even get a before weight this time.  This go is purely for detox, nothing more.  We fully intend to reintroduce this time... and slay the sugar dragon for good! We are on Day 3 and everything is currently peaceful.  Seems as if we reached "kill all of the things" yesterday.  Haha.  Super-excited and motivated this time around.  I'm hoping to have some Whole30 forum friends to help me stay on track with reintro. Congrats to everyone who has stepped up to the plate to take charge of their health by doing this... you are to be commended!!  Good luck... woo hoo! 

Hi, all!

I just started the Whole30 with my family.  We are not newbs to Whole 30, but I've never been too involved with the forum, so I thought I'd give it a try for some support and accountability!  The original poster was kind enough to invite me here (thank you) so here I am.  The long/abbreviated version of our story is that my husband and I have an unhealthy relationship with food and it has begin to rub off onto our children.  DH and I are the poster children for yo-yo dieting.  We were very successful on the Primal Blueprint in 2012, but fell off the wagon somewhere along the way and we've had an impossible time getting back on track (and staying there).   At any rate, we successfully completed 2 Whole 30th runs in the last two years but never made it through the reintroduction phase.  In addition,weight loss has been my sole motivation the last two times.  We didn't even get a before weight this time.  This go is purely for detox, nothing more.  We fully intend to reintroduce this time... and slay the sugar dragon for good! We are on Day 3 and everything is currently peaceful.  Seems as if we reached "kill all of the things" yesterday.  Haha.  Super-excited and motivated this time around.  I'm hoping to have some Whole30 forum friends to help me stay on track with reintro. Congrats to everyone who has stepped up to the plate to take charge of their health by doing this... you are to be commended!!  Good luck... woo hoo! 

Hi everyone...3rd day....haven't had any cravings...but just got a headache...I'm thinking I'm not drinking enough water...but glad I'm back to being strict on whole 30...tonite I'm making those delicate squash chips....roasted in oven with olive oil...been waiting for this winter squash to hit Trader Joe's....will let you know if it's as amazing as I'v dreamt...lol.

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

I'm starting Day 5 and am still not feeling anything... No headaches, no extra tiredness, no anger. I kinda just seem to be plugging along. 

On a positive note, I successfully navigated a work happy hour last night with drinks and appetizers. It really wasn't that hard to just not do it. Of course, there wasn't any Rocky Road ice cream... LOL. 

I continue to enjoy reading your experiences, stories, successes, and failures. It's all a learning experience and I so appreciate everyone being open and sharing! 

Woot Woot! Good for you, @kirbz! Way to go!

24 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Hi, all!

@dmrob2009, so glad to see you joined us! Welcome. Wow! No weight at the beginning huh? I'm stuck in the get this weight off me mode, so you not taking weight is impressive to me. Good luck to you and you'll find there are lots of helpful and nice people here....tons of support. 

8 minutes ago, AthenaC said:

Hi everyone...3rd day....haven't had any cravings...but just got a headache...I'm thinking I'm not drinking enough water...but glad I'm back to being strict on whole 30...tonite I'm making those delicate squash chips....roasted in oven with olive oil...been waiting for this winter squash to hit Trader Joe's....will let you know if it's as amazing as I'v dreamt...lol.

@AthenaC, sorry about your headache. Like I said, mine has been ongoing for about 3 days now. I'm wondering if it's not weather related. Considering making my own beef jerky for quick protein, but need to find a compliant recipe.

6 hours ago, 3boysandagirl said:

Feeling very sluggish and dull headache today.  Also, sugar cravings are high.  I'm personally trying not to grab a piece a fruit when I'm craving sugar right now, just because I know sugar is my biggest weakness and I want these cravings gone completely.  Sipping hot tea or naturally flavored ice tea helps me get over the craving, at least for the moment.  

One thing that helps me as I have days like this when I'm not feeling well is knowing that it means my body is reacting and doing something.  While it may not be pleasant for the 1st week or 2, knowing it gets worse before you get the benefits is encouraging. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

@Tj V thanks...I had pork for dinner and for lunch...I'm thinking that's the headache and I'm nauseous. Having chicken...no more pork...lol is it hot in Indiana?

@DrewMc I was definitely feeling a bit "kill all the things" yesterday too! I was very cranky, especially in the afternoon. 

I also am certain I dreamed last night that I ate a whole bunch of non-compliant food without realizing it! So funny to wake up feeling guilty... 

On another note-- last Whole30 I did, I think I ended up having Lara and Rx Bar "emergencies" a little too frequently... so this time I am trying to go without, and it is HARD. I want one so badly... I'm trying to decide if I'm hungry with the book's "would you eat steamed fish" question-- and I think I am, but I don't know what else to snack on! Fruit seems like a bad choice because it too is sweet (a healthy version of the sugar dragon?), and I'm not a huge fan of Epic bars. Anyone find a good non-sweet snack they like? 

Thanks!

@erinelizabethI don't know how ideal this is, but for me, I did have a hard-boiled egg and a packet of Justin's Almond Butter yesterday before going to a work happy hour so that I would be less tempted to eat. That helped me not feel hungry and seemed like a relatively healthy option and not one that would awaken my strong desire for sugar... 

9 hours ago, Momo MK said:

if you're active, the meal template says that the pre/post work-out meal is a special bonus meal that does not replace breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is a necessary source of additional calories. Pre-workout is 15-75 mins before and should be a small amount of protein and a small amount of fat ( no fruit/ carb-dense vegetables). Post-work out would be 15-30 mins after and should be a lean protein + carb dense vegetable with little to no fat. It also says not to use fruit as a post-work out snack. 

Under forums sections of the website, there is a whole section dedicated to athletes and there are good tips and information for fueling appropriately. 

Ooh, good to know.  Also felt some rage today at something that shouldn't have been such a big deal!

3 hours ago, erinelizabeth said:

@DrewMc I was definitely feeling a bit "kill all the things" yesterday too! I was very cranky, especially in the afternoon. 

I also am certain I dreamed last night that I ate a whole bunch of non-compliant food without realizing it! So funny to wake up feeling guilty... 

On another note-- last Whole30 I did, I think I ended up having Lara and Rx Bar "emergencies" a little too frequently... so this time I am trying to go without, and it is HARD. I want one so badly... I'm trying to decide if I'm hungry with the book's "would you eat steamed fish" question-- and I think I am, but I don't know what else to snack on! Fruit seems like a bad choice because it too is sweet (a healthy version of the sugar dragon?), and I'm not a huge fan of Epic bars. Anyone find a good non-sweet snack they like? 

Thanks!

Maybe try a "sweeter" i.e./flavorful drink instead? Seltzer? Kombucha? A small handful of less-sweet fruit (blueberries, blackberries). For snacks my husband and I made homemade sweet potato and plantain chips, and those (just a few... not a bagful!) have been perfect for a little snack. I've heard a few times... cravings only last 5 minutes! Take a big drink of water, set your timer, and see if you're still hungry in 5 :)

Good morning everyone - how is everyone holding up?  Not gonna lie, these scrambled eggs with diced peppers and tomatoes are not very appealing this morning :( But the end result is worth it so I'm going to grind it out.  @Tj V how is the headache pal? Hope you are hanging tough.  Have a great day everyone, we can do this!

@Brad C - Tell me about it, my eggs and mushrooms weren't very appetizing this morning either, of course I got out of bed 2 hour earlier then normal to get a jump start on the day's work (I own a software startup so a good week is 60 hours, lol), so that might have had something to do with it.

@erinelizabeth - that's funny.  Yeah, food guilt dreams .. are they technically night-mares? lol

13 hours ago, AthenaC said:

@Tj V thanks...I had pork for dinner and for lunch...I'm thinking that's the headache and I'm nauseous. Having chicken...no more pork...lol is it hot in Indiana?

@AthenaC it is HOT here! I have to mow my yard today too...hasn't been mowed for several weeks now. I was on vacation. So, pork gives you headaches? I love pork! 

1 hour ago, Brad C said:

Good morning everyone - how is everyone holding up?  Not gonna lie, these scrambled eggs with diced peppers and tomatoes are not very appealing this morning :( But the end result is worth it so I'm going to grind it out.  @Tj V how is the headache pal? Hope you are hanging tough.  Have a great day everyone, we can do this!

@Brad C, so far it's very small, so that's an improvement. Thanks for asking. I'm doing well with the plan so far. We had to go to Sam's Club yesterday and you know all the free samples and goodies everywhere was a bit tempting but not as bad as I'd thought. Ended up with a later than usual lunch but we made it home with a rotisserie chicken and steamed some veggies. It was good. I was super hungry by that time and ate more than usual, so had a smaller dinner. Slept like a baby. 
As for your distaste for scrambled eggs this morning, it'll get better. Have you considered switching it up? Last time we did this I made this scrumptious "breakfast hash" and then fried an egg and put that on top of it. It was fantastic. For the hash I put in cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus, carrots, apple/chicken sausage and compliant bulk sausage. Cooked it all in coconut oil. Man it rocked! 
Anyway, have a great day!!!

Archived